Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

BelRunner

Great race, Flinders!

SRD for me. 

Jenny

PRs: 5K-23:08 (10/12), 10K-48:15 (4/12), 13.1-1:49:33 (10/12), 26.2-4:09:21 (5/12)

Rusk Runner

Wonderful time with the family this weekend.  Wasnt able to fit in a run on Saturday, but I will hit the dreadmill after my football game and get the required mileage for the first week of Pfitz in + 1 extra.  Did little pieces of running with my boy on a trail.  I swear, if you could watch him run, you would think you were looking at a 10 yo Ryan Hall.

Great races Ami and Flinders!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Mdawg87: In your avatar, I am presuming you are standing next to the map of a race. Just curious to know which one

Flinders: great race PR! on the subject of orthotics, will you be geting them over the counter, or from a podiatrist. I wold strongly recommend the later, if you insurance covers it.

Me: Regarding today's possible 10-mile race: I was actually feeling some tightness in the lower calf of the left leg. Not sure if this was coming from the 8 x 100m strides I had done during the week, or from overdoing the eccentic calf stretches. In addition, going to the race would have eaten up most of my Sunday, and I do have some work to do this afternoon, before settling down to Dexter and Homeland in the evening. So I decided to just do my scheduled 9-mile general aerobic scheduled on the Pfitz recovery plan. Ended up doing  little under 11m, at 9:06 which is my GMP. That included a 9:33 warm-up mile and two 8:45 miles towards the end. It was nice to put in a sustained moderate effort, instead of the daily dose of recovery I've been doing the past 2-3 weeks. AHR 146 with most in 148/150 range at the end,  as opposed to 137/138 for recovery, and 141/143 for "general aerobic". Pleased I made the choice.

Decided on a mini-training program for a Jan 1st 5K: put in some 30-35 mile weeks, and next week inject a LT run, the following week intervals at 5K goal pace (4:48/km for a 24:00), and then shorter intervals of same intensity the week before the race. I then have a 10K in Central Park on Jan 5th and Manhattan Half on Jan 27th. Both courses are hilly, so not expecting any PR, but gives me some intermediary goals other than the distant May 5th (for which training starts December 30th) 

Speaking of hills, wondering how you tackle hills in your runs. I feel that, relatively speaking, I am stronger in hills than on the flat; and whenever I am in a hill, I cannot help "giving it some more". How about you?  

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

Smashy!!!

Hey all, 

Did my 4 @ 10:29, so nice and easy. Followed it up with some hip focused yoga. Finished the week with 32--very pleased with that. Tomorrow has my first Hansons Speed workout to kick start half training--excited. 

Mdawg, good call. Especially this early in the game. Get healthy. I know the Hansons Beginner plan has no quality work for the first four weeks. So if you just stick to easy miles until your leg FULLY heals, you won't be losing anything. As for me, well see how things go. If I get to the summer fully healthy, then it might be on.

Dreamn, great week!

Flinders, awesome race! Dude you're a machine.

Bel, enjoy the day off!

Indi, have fun on the TM.

TFS, good call on the race. No need to risk anything this far out.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

mdawg87

Two foot:  it's the Chicago marathon course.  DH took that photo of me at this year's expo.

cbus:  the week that ended today was actually week 6 on the Hanson plan for me.  It was the first week of quality work.  But I was able to get all the quality work in before the calf incident yesterday.  Hopefully, I'll just miss today's easy 8 miler and that will be the end of it.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys!  Weston HM done.  Course PR and a strong run in horrible weather.  RR posted in the Beginner's & Beyond (or my blog) if interested.  Nothing major; just a fun race.

Flinders, great race! Congrats!

Hope everybody is relaxing after a tough week of running.

Damaris

sramaley

Hello Donuts. Nice races docket, ami, and flinders.

Mdawg - get a tens unit. It has been my go to remedy for strained calves.

No running this week for, just a couple of spin classes. Caught up on my needed yard work this afternoon that I had been putting off.

Have a great rest of the weekend donuts!

sramaley

Also - i posted a note in the sub 4 group under the racing forum to see if they wanted to join us. Be great to merge the two groups. Thanks TFS for the heads up on them.

Trail Monster

Bel - Enjoy the rest day!

indiana - Hope your TM run isn't too awful.

two-foot - nice run!

cbus - nice work this week.

mdawg - hope the calf heals up quickly!

docket - great race!

sr - enjoy the no running thing!

me: 13.1 trail miles today. It's been raining most of the last few days so it was nothing but mud and yuck out there. I slipped and slid and hiked more than ran. Averaged 14:25 pace. The only thing that makes me feel better is that pace will get me 24 hours at Burning River 100. So if I can do that on the worst trail conditions I've seen for awhile then I should be in great shape come July. Final total for the week: 39 miles.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

White Lightning

Flinders - Nice race yet again.  I want to be that guy who runs to the race, runs a PR and runs home, love it.

Dream - great week

Cbus - Nice to see your mileage back up.  Even sound a little bit more chipper in your typing "tone" this week after dealing with your ITBS Smile

mdawg - hope it gets better

TFS - I LOVE running hard up a hill but I tend avoid them because I still struggle running down with a weak left ankle (broken three times)

Docket - What can one say, run a HM the week after a Full, awesome

Me - 5 easy miles on the TM @ 10:39.  HR finally nice and low around where it should be.  Post marathon week finished with 13 easy but stress free miles.  Very focused on diet the next 5 weeks trying to drop some weight before the next go around.

Play the Game Hard!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Also - i posted a note in the sub 4 group under the racing forum to see if they wanted to join us. Be great to merge the two groups. Thanks TFS for the heads up on them.

Buahahahaha, new victims...I mean runners.

I have permanent admission, RIGHT?

Damaris

Ball of Fury

Hi everyone!  Thanks for the congrats...I promise I will do a RR tomorrow and get to personals.  We had a busy day today with our long run and then had to go pick up the little monsters, I mean, wonderful children!  But, I did want to say great race Flinders...man you are speedy!  Today was our long run for the week, 16 miles and I did something that was probably not very smart at all but it's too late now!  Bought a pair of Brooks Pure Flow yesterday and my plan was to run in them for the first few and then switch back to my Saucony Guide 5s, but the Pure Flow felt so great...I am a forefoot striker and it felt so nice to be in a shoe that actually helped my running style, ya know?  When I took them off at mile 8 and put on the other shoes, it just felt awful and all wrong so I switched back.  Did the entire 16 miles in the Pure Flows with an average of 8:50/mile.  Hopefully, I can walk tomorrow....lol!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Flinders that's a great result, nice pace!

Dreamn- got that 9 minute pace locked in.

Bel- what's SRD?

Indi I love the way Hall runs, so light on his feet, so smooth and fluid- like Grete Waitz, she ran like an angel.

Two foot I am the opposite, low muscle to weight ratio, slow uphill, fast down the other side with a gravity assist. My son loves hills, but he once leg pressed 1200lbs!

Docket- a great result without meds, and so soon after your full, well done!

Good idea to unite the groups- more interchange of ideas that way.

Slow 10.5 miles today for me, felt harder than it should have, try again tomorrow.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

mdawg87

Hello Donuts. Nice races docket, ami, and flinders.

Mdawg - get a tens unit. It has been my go to remedy for strained calves.

No running this week for, just a couple of spin classes. Caught up on my needed yard work this afternoon that I had been putting off.

Have a great rest of the weekend donuts!

Which one do you have?  I used a "pen-like" handheld device at a friend's house tonight.  He's an MMA guy and swears by his.  I gathered it was one of the more expensive options.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Mdawg, week 6?! Dang girl, have you been marathon training on the down low (do people still say that?) this whole time? Okay, givit up the 411: which race are you training for? 

Great work this week everyone (except Sra, who apparently is a slacker Smile). 

Oh yeah, and why are there so many Pure Flow shills up in here? 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)