Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Mdawg- she's really tiny but toned and seems really nice.

Flinders - the weather seems like its going to be nasty for some time...fun to run in!

URD for me today- weather was bad and I was super tired.  This week starts the rampup again to prepare for the holidays and for my spring marathon plan.  Goal is 4/6/4/6/10 this week.  30 miles.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Canuck

Evening gang.  Busy weekend - got in spin and weights yesterday, plus 9 miles in the evening and then another 11 miles today.  45 total for the week and I'm sleepy. 

Flinders - nice race!

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

Ball of Fury

Morning donuts!  Rest day today...I need it too after the weekend.  My calves are a little tight from yesterday but not bad so hopefully I didn't do any permanent damage by transitioning to a more minimalist shoe with a 16-mile run!  Hope everyone has a great day!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I am on my way to the asthma doctor to get chewed up for not telling her about Vegas.  I'm sure of it.  A run tonight and if I can, weights and core.

Be back later.

Damaris

Rusk Runner

Damaris - Good luck with the doctor.  Its probably hard for most to frame the marathon maniacs mindset.

Amik - I have seen that Pureflows dont really require a break in period for most, and that includes myself.  I will tell you however, that it took me sometime to get used to the 4mm heel drop.  My calves were sore for months.  I love the shoe and am looking forward to trying a pair of Pureflow 2's.  The way I am interpreting the photos, there is no loose tongue to secure which eliminates the one major problem that I have with the originals.

I have pulled 400 miles out of each pair so far, but one difference for me might be that I use aftermarket insoles with rigid bottoms.

Got in 5 intentionally slow miles on the dreadmill last night and finished out the first week of Pfitz at the required 34 miles.  I wanted to use week one as a cutback week anyway.  I will probably finish week 2 higher than prescribed, since I would like to keepp my base at 40 and above.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Trail Monster

morning! Ultra-hike/speed walk training today. Also hoping to schedule a massage!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

LOL.

Damaris - Good luck with the doctor.  Its probably hard for most to frame the marathon maniacs mindset.

Amik - I have seen that Pureflows dont really require a break in period for most, and that includes myself.  I will tell you however, that it took me sometime to get used to the 4mm heel drop.  My calves were sore for months.  I love the shoe and am looking forward to trying a pair of Pureflow 2's.  The way I am interpreting the photos, there is no loose tongue to secure which eliminates the one major problem that I have with the originals.

I have pulled 400 miles out of each pair so far, but one difference for me might be that I use aftermarket insoles with rigid bottoms.

Got in 5 intentionally slow miles on the dreadmill last night and finished out the first week of Pfitz at the required 34 miles.  I wanted to use week one as a cutback week anyway.  I will probably finish week 2 higher than prescribed, since I would like to keepp my base at 40 and above.

Damaris

bagopux

13 miles w/ FF on hills Saturday

7 miles all hills on Sunday

Strength training this morning

Detecting a theme? 

mdawg87

Docket:  hope the Dr doesn't beat you up too badly.

cbus:  well...maybe...

amik:  what's the reason you're switching shoes...looking for something lighter?

4 easy TM miles and abs at the gym this morning.  No calf issues.  Think I made the right decision to rest it yesterday.  Whew...that was a scare.  Ran on the TM even though I could've run outside since I'm on vacation the next couple of days.  I wanted to be cautious and not attempt any hills quite yet...and there is NO flat terrain in Atlanta.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

cmb4314

Morning all!

Thanks to those like, 10 pages back for the welcomes.  I am terrible at keeping up with forums normally, and the marathon training is making it worse by eating most of my free time Smile

Congrats Flinders and Docket on the races!

I saw a bunch of people discussing Pfitz a few pages back - I'm using it right now, and I'm completely taking into consideration that I'm slower than he anticipates.  I'm adjusting all the tempo paces a la Daniels - slowing them down as the tempos get longer.  I might not even do that 7 miler because I agree, it's nuts.  I am also going to do an easier taper than he calls for - my best race performances in the past have been off of tapers where I give myself quite a bit of rest, so I don't want to be as aggressive as Pfitz.

Re: Treadmills - I am probably doing 18 flipping miles on one tonight.  It was supposed to snow 4-6 inches, total, over Saturday night into Sunday, and stop by 11AM on Sunday.  I figured I could manage a run on Sunday with that forecast.  Instead, it snowed 12 inches, and snowed for the entirety of yesterday.  I tried to run, but with 8 inches and counting on the unplowed streets, and even more drifted up over the invisible sidewalks, I called it after a mile.  Didn't even feel safe to drive to the gym yesterday, and it turns out I was right, because my 25 minute commute this morning took 60 because even the interstates were still so bad that I didn't exceed 25mph the whole drive.  Since the temperature is going to top out at an awesome 16 degrees today, I doubt that the footing outside is going to be safe to run on, particularly in the dark after work.  Treadmill it is.  Water bottle and gels are packed in my gym bag Sad

Treadmills feel way harder for me.  I go outside, and float along at 9:45-10:00 for an easy run.  I go in on the treadmill, and I rarely set the speed above 5.8mph, and some days that doesn't even feel easy but my stubbornness refuses to run any slower than that.  It alters my gait, or something - I do have a weird, inefficient gait to begin with.  It is a very weird effect, because I feel like it should be easier, but my legs just don't like it.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

bagopux

cmb, 18 miles on a treadmill?!?! I definitely recommend mixing up the speeds and inclines a bit just to keep your legs from rebelling.  Have you tried using a HR monitor on a treadmill to get the right effort level?

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Did my first Hansons Speed workout today. 400 repeats w/ 400 rest + wu and cd = 8.23 miles. I averaged 7:24 for the intervals. This was my first ever structured speed workout. It took some getting used to. I started trying to avg 7:06, but that was too fast. So midway through, I slowed it down to 7:30. Part of the problem was I hit the interval too hard, and would go way below my desired pace. If I eased into my intervals, I would've had a more consistent workout. I'm gonna have to sit down with HMM tonight and adjust what my paces are gonna be.

A while back we were talking about Garmin and what it does when you start a workout. Well, now I know. The workout takes over the data screens. So that was convenient.

But now another question: is there a fast way, either through Garmin or RA, to get your average pace for the interval portion of the workout? On RA, it asks for the duration of each interval, but Garmin gives me pace. I mean I could just bust out the calculator and do the math myself (like I did today), but I'm lazy.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

Cbus, I am not sure of wat you are asking or how you have your watch set up.  When I program intervals on my watch, I still get my regular screens plus my workout info.  When I upload the information to Garmin Training Center it gives me time, pace, HR, etc for the interval portions of the workout.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Cbus, I am not sure of wat you are asking or how you have your watch set up.  When I program intervals on my watch, I still get my regular screens plus my workout info.  When I upload the information to Garmin Training Center it gives me time, pace, HR, etc for the interval portions of the workout.

That's what I'm asking. How do you get your workout info? Is it in History? Or do you have to use Garmin connect?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

BelRunner

Cubs-you should be able to go to history and then workouts directly on the garmin to see all that. But when you upload to RA I'd think it would transfer all that. But I haven't done an interval workout since I started using the RA log. Easy 6@9:40 for me today.

Jenny

PRs: 5K-23:08 (10/12), 10K-48:15 (4/12), 13.1-1:49:33 (10/12), 26.2-4:09:21 (5/12)