Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Canuck

Morning all.  Think I'll take a rest day today as I'm tired from the 29 miles, spin class and weights I did between Friday at 7pm and Sunday at noon.  Planning on another week of easy running - hoping to get about 50 this week.  I do need to replace my HRM battery I think, it has been giving strangely low readings for the last few runs, not all the time, but it drops out at strange places.  It has been over a year, so might as well get a new battery in there. 

Speaking of HRM, does anyone know how to stop the damn thing from chafing (new Garmin strap)?  I wear it tight enough, I put bodyglide on etc, but the damn thing seems to get me on at least a few of my runs every week.  I'm going to end up with a permanent scar on my chest at this rate.  I've gone without the last few runs just to avoid that hassle.  I don't need to wear it all the time, but I like to wear it for workouts and for the occasional easy run to see how my fitness is progressing.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

Smashy!!!

Cubs-you should be able to go to history and then workouts directly on the garmin to see all that. But when you upload to RA I'd think it would transfer all that. But I haven't done an interval workout since I started using the RA log. Easy 6@9:40 for me today.

Bel, I can see the workout in History. But the summary page gives me the totals for the entire workout (including wu, cd, and rest intervals). I'm hoping that there is a way to see the average for just the interval portion.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

Damaris:  Hope your MD wasn't too mad at you!!  Enjoy your run tonight.

Jagfan:  I have not had a problem with a loose tongue on the Pure Flows so I am assuming the 2s took care of the problem.  Do you also run in other shoes?  I am trying to decide what to do right now because I was running in Nike Lunarglide 4, which gave me terrible blisters, and the Saucony Guide 5, which after the Pure Flow just felt heavy and awkward.  I don't know whether to buy a 2nd pair of PF or try to find something else I like to switch it out with....thoughts?  Which PFitz program are you using?

Banshee:  Hope you enjoyed your hike...and especially your massage!

Bago:  Into the hills lately, I see!  I live in such a hilly area, we went to a local bike trail yesterday and it felt fabulous to run something flat for a change!

Mdawg:  Happy to hear your calf is better!  When I first started running (just over a year ago), I had my gait assessed and they thought I needed a stability shoe for pronation control.  The more I ran, the more I thought I didn't really need a stability shoe, especially since everyone always tells me I am such a forefoot striker.  So, I went to a different LRS and they agreed I would be find in a neutral shoe or even something more minimal that supports a forefoot strike....hence, the Pure Flows.

CMB:  Ouch...I feel for you!  I don't know if I could gut out 18 on the TM!  Do you have a walking/running track at your gym?  When I do longer TM runs, I like to alternate each mile...1 on TM, 1 on track.

CBus:  Nice interval workout!

Bel:  Nice easy 6.

Zoe:  Enjoy your rest day!  I have one spot under my sports bra that ALWAYS chaffs (TMI I know), no matter how much  body glide I use!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

CBus, I have never used a "Workout" before (I guess I am scared that I will screw something up), and normally just manually hit the lap button. Tomorrow i am going to try the Hanson's 400m interval session and was going to just put the watch to autolap at .25 mile increments. But, if the History for Workouts are anything like the any other item in History, if you hit "Enter" again it should take you to more detail and then you can look at the info one lap at at time. (If none of that applies to a workout, then nevermind).

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

bagopux

CBus, if I'm understanding your question, the answer is No.  On the device, or on Garmin Connect or even in Training Center, you cannot see the aggregate time or pace for just the interval laps of your run.  I cannot speak for any other software package.  You have to add the lap times up manually and divide by the distance to get the pace.  Outside of Garmin Connect, I keep a spreadsheet with stuff like distance, time, gross elevation, HR avg and max, temp & dew point.  For any structured workouts, I also have columns in which I keep the information that you are talking about so I can compare that information across time for different types of intervals, MP runs and whatnot.  As far as I know, there is no easy way to populate a spreadsheet with that information except by doing it manually.   As much of a PITA it is, once you get a sufficient amount of data into a spreadsheet, it can be pretty interesting to manipulate it, if you're into that kind of thing.

Nick, doing a structured workout on the Garmin can be really helpful to force you to do it correctly, and also, once you have it all set up, you don't have to go back to the book or website or whatever and remind yourself what the workout is.  You just punch it up on the Garmin and let it rip.  And, yeah, I've screwed them up.  But they're real easy to set up in Garmin Connect.  The only thing is, if you're doing shorter intervals and you're in an area where the Garmin will have bad satellite reception, the whole thing will get wonky.  But that would be the case whether you have a workout set up or not.  Personally, I find setting up Garmin workouts to be helpful only when the interval is less than a mile.  And more often than not if I am doing intervals that are less than a mile, I'll set up a Garmin workout.  If you're doing a run that's say, 2 mile w/u, 5 at MP and 2 mile c/d, I don't see any reason to bother with setting up a workout.

So Cbus, it sounds like the laps are there, but your hope was to see some item listed that shows the total or average of just the interval portions that you entered when creating the workout? As bago said, I don't know of any way to do that, unless some outside program lets you tag the lap as an interval and then processes it that way. I just figure out the average in excel.

Smashy!!!

Pux and Nick, thanks! That was the exact info I was looking for. I guess I'll just get my averages the old fashion way. 

good afternoon everyone. Run people run!

Congrats Flinders.

Cbus, sometimes old fashioned is good. Look at milk shakes for example.

Still on IR, toe is no bueno.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

cmb4314

Speaking of HRM, does anyone know how to stop the damn thing from chafing (new Garmin strap)?  I wear it tight enough, I put bodyglide on etc, but the damn thing seems to get me on at least a few of my runs every week.  I'm going to end up with a permanent scar on my chest at this rate.  I've gone without the last few runs just to avoid that hassle.  I don't need to wear it all the time, but I like to wear it for workouts and for the occasional easy run to see how my fitness is progressing.

I wish I could answer this question.  My HRM and all of my sports bras chafe me right in the center of my chest, I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up with a scar there too!

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Smashy!!!

Zoe, if you wear it only occassionally, could you put duct tape on the hot spots? I had a hot spot on my ankle from my shoe, and I put a piece of dect tape on it, and it worked like a charm.

Roll, that toe sucks. I hope you get better. Are you doing any XT to stay in shape? 

bagopux

nachosgrande

Way behind on things in here.  Good training everyone.

Nice races Ami and Flinders!

Getting to the QOTD from a couple days ago: I find the treadmill way way easier than running outside.  It's just so much kinder on my legs and it allows me to pick up the pace without breaking down.  I typically run with it set to 1.5 incline.  A year ago when I was at my most fit, I was able to run a couple of sub-39 10ks on the treadmill - which is at least a couple of minutes faster than I could run outside.  Also, I think treadmill running may be easier the faster the pace, since I never noticed much of a difference between say 6:30 or 6:00 pace.  And I don't believe this was a case of a miscalibrated machine as I did my running at various gym locations on different machines.

I've been sick so I put in zero exercise from 12/1-12/8.  Finally got back in the gym yesterday for weights and 3.3 miles on the treadmill at 8:41/mi. 

White Lightning

Zoe - Every once in a while i'll get a hot spot under the strap.  I don't run with body glide on it unless I have a long race.  But if I get a hot spot and need to run before its heeled, I just put a small piece of KT tape on the spot.  

Cbus - Nice workout.  I can't wait until I start these, 6 more weeks.  Already created all of my workouts

cmb - yikes, welcome to my world.  I'm lucky as we have a bike path that the town maintains so as soon as it stops snowing, they go out and plow.  But I do feel your pain

Rollcast - Sorry to hear

Me - 4 Easy TM miles (it finally warmed up a bit, 32F but still didn't want to go outside) @ 10:00.  Hoping for 30 this week all easy.  An hour of yoga later tonight

Play the Game Hard!

Trail Monster

No help on Garmin setup or heart rate monitors. 

zoe - 50 miles?! Woah!

nachos - hope you're feeling better!

joshlynn - yoga sounds so nice in theory but I can never get into it. Maybe I should try a class.

me: did 5 miles of walking at 14:29 avg pace with inclines from 0 to 6%. Followed up with Sundays CrossFit WOD: 5 rounds for time: 7 deadlifts (95 lbs), 30 squats, 7 handstand push ups. Finished in 21:05.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Ami, congrats on the 3rd!

Flinders, great PR.

Docket, nice HM. A couple non-ideal conditions in a row.

Simon, not sure if anyone answered but SRD=Scheduled Rest Day (I think, maybe it could be Slow Recovery Day). Unless, like Docket, you were trying to say that you never have rest days scheduled?

cmb4314, not sure if I said hi, but Welcome! 18 miles on the TM, good luck. I think Josh has done that, so you have some company here with TM miles.

Cbus, good to hear that things seem to be getting better for you. So, did you think setting up the workout was easier than just manually hitting the Lap button or autolapping every 1/4 mile? Oh, and do you know if you can set up a workout to be metric distances even though you have your watch set to show miles? Or do you just need to convert 600m to miles and then enter the distance in?

Re: Hills, I also have a similar problem on hills. I try to keep my planned pace up the hill when I should probably let myself slow down some. Then, even worse, I just can't help but speed up on the downhill. Even when I really try, I feel like the only way to not speed up is to slow myself down by overstriding, but that isn't an efficient thing to do. Any tips on keeping you pace down on the downhill?

Also, for those that only have hills to run on, how do you deal with intervals at some set speed? Try to keep a constant pace reagrdless, or just run by feel? When I run at home it is flat, but tomorrow I have intervals planned and was going to run near work in the afternoon where there isn't anything flat to do constant intervals on (I can probably find a pretty flat 1/4 mile, but would feel odd running back and forth on that one stretch for 6 miles).

Last week I tried to start following the Hanson Advansed Plan just to see how much I could stick to it. Well, the first 3 days went fine, but yesterday I couldn't get in the prescribed 8 miles due to family time and my wife having to work half of the day. Got 6 in this morning and have 12x400m@5k scheduled for tomorrow.