Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Trail Monster

Two-foot: I was looking at New Jersey but I think I'm going to not do it this year because of the ultras I have so close to that. You'll have to let me know what you think of it!

Indiana - Thanks for the well wishes! I think doing a fast workout did kill some of the crud!

Flinders - Congrats! That is a stellar performance!

Bel - Nice 10k! I really need to race a 10k to get a good grip on my current fitness! I've never all out raced one and only run 1 ever!

mdawg - nice 10! My 10 tomorrow will probably be at least a minute per mile slower! I will think of you when I want to slow down tomorrow!

Ami - I totally need to get better about doing morning runs! I got up at 3 or 4am a couple times over the summer to do my MLR's and then fell out of the habit. Need to get back on it so I can build my mileage over the winter without eating into the rest of my life too much!

As for me, I managed my 2 mile warm up, 5k TT, and then a .9 cooldown to make 6 total in 59:15. 5k in 25 minutes flat. I was aiming at an unofficial PR by starting just slower than current PR pace (24:27) and speeding up every half mile. Once I realized I was going to miss it I slowed down for the last .1 or .2 and coasted into my cool down. Still fairly happy with that given how sick I've been and that I'm going to have higher mileage this week than I have in a month or two. Makes me think sub-24 will happen in 2013, maybe even a high 22's if I play my cards right and find the perfect race!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Rusk Runner

Good job flinders and bel!  Flinders, you and I are so close in pacing it bums me out that I will not have a half to test out before the marathon.  You always inspire me to push harder. 

Carried the American Legion flag in the Christmas parade this afternoon.  Gonna get a bit of a break, watch FSU tonight, and wake up for 14 or 15 miles tomorrow morning.  Happy running to all!!!!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Canuck

Afternoon all. Back home after spin class and weights this morning. Nice half Flinders, very impressive! Good '10k' as well Bel, that would be annoying not having a properly measured course.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

sramaley

Hey donuts. 420 today. Had a pretty off day with dead legs and nausea. Oh well. It's a great race with good crowd support. Hunkered down in the airport bar watching the dawgs.
          SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Flinders - awesome race - now I'm wondering if I should try to train for a sub-1:40 in the early fall instead of doing 3 marathons next year. 

Sra- nausea is hellish, been there...hope you can regroup for the next one.  for now, take some time off!

AmiK- sounds like you can do a sub-4.  I didn't think hard about pace until halfway through the marathon when I ran the sub-4- just hang around 9:10ish for the first half and then bust it out.  If you're a good negative splitter it should be easy.  If endurance sometimes kills you I'd say go for a 1-2 minute positive split.

Today is my last day of my 2 week running break.  I did run with the dog.  Umm...its winter.  NOT COOL.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

AmiK: I'm signed up to run the RnR DC Full in March, but whether I'll race it is still up in the air.  I'm fighting a flare of PF and want to get that under control before I train to race another marathon.  I might only have 11-12 weeks to fully prep for it, so I'm considering just running it as a training run and targeting a TBD full later in the spring.  This is an ongoing thing, and I'll probably decide around the new year what I'm going to do.  Of course, I pace a bit aggressively and typically can't run a race without trying to race it, so there is a decent possibility that I'll try to race it even if I'm distinctly undertrained. 

Sprinkles: Thanks!  I didn't train for this HM; I'm running off of the fitness gains I made for my marathon cycle.  What are you racing next fall?  This HM was six weeks after my full, and that seems a good break to recharge but not so long that you'd lose fitness.  You probably could do both.

Indy:  I'd love to be hitting the miles you do.  I've had issue after issue that  have prevented me from keeping my miles above 30 per week for more than a couple weeks at a time. 

Sra: Sorry to hear about the nausea.  Regroup and rest, and find a new race!

Banshee: Thanks!

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Rusk Runner

Sorry to hear about the race day funk, Sra.  Good finish either way!  With the tri's and other races you have been a beast this year.

Flinders, I meant to add to Cbus' comments.  I run with "Archmold max" inserts in my shoes.  Another good brand is sole Dean Karnazes signature inserts.  The Sole DKs are thinner, last for a shorter period of time, and are more expensive.  Both are somewhat moldable to your feet after preheating in the oven.  I ran through PF using these inserts and ended up having to stay with them when the mileage stacks up as my arches just arent strong enough to hold up to the beating.   Powerstep inserts had a little too much arch for me.  Nothing to say about superfeet greens.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Canuck

Sorry about the nausea Sra, still a great race though. Congrats on another one!

onemile

Flinders - Sweet race!  Congrats!

SRA - sorry your race didn't go as hoped.  Sounds like you still managed a decent time though.

Bel - nice job on the 10k

Banshee - Nice job on the TT.  I find it hard to psych myself up to put in a full 5k race effort in a non-race situation.

We are having an awesome warm front here the past couple days.  Got to run in the 50s! today.  And the legs wanted to go faster so I did the last 3 of my 8 at GMP just for fun.  Smile

Smashy!!!

Sra, sorry to hear about the tough race. Like Indi said, you've been crushing it all year. 

I looked up Lcanida, and she finished in 4:11. So wherever you are LC: donuts!

Great training runs everyone!

Got in 6 @ 9:27. This was the best the IT bands have felt during a run. But afterwards the knees were a bit sore. I've been thinking it over, and I just don't think a fall full is in the cards. I'll be lucky if I can get my miles back over 30 by jan. 1. I think it'll be wiser to train for a half. 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Dreamn

Thanks for all of the happy birthdays! Sorry for the race Sra. I know the feeling well. I ran my first run post Philly/cold. 8.5 @ 9:20 pace. My legs felt heavy, probably a combination of running Philly 2 weeks ago, not running a step for 2 weeks, & get over this pneumonia/bronchitis. Enjoy the rest of the weekend Donuts :-).

Canuck

NIce easy 6.6 this evening.  I was going to run last night, but it was super windy and rainy so I put it off until tonight.  Good choice, it was quite pleasant out, cloudy and 44, with not much wind.  Did mean a double workout day, with the spin and weights this morning, so I took it easy.  12 tomorrow.

LCanida

LC Runs

I'm HERE!!!! 

Sorry, i've been MIA.. work got busy and then I haven't been on to catch up and realize we had moved..

Thanks Cbus for remembering me, and looking me up! 

I landed a 4:11 with a 22 minute PR. It was a much better experience than last time.. I felt so much stronger mentally and physically and didn't actually get tired until 25.  The race crowd was very fun, and I was amazed and all the people on each and every mile marker.  Def. a fun 26.2 mile race.  

Trail Monster

Nice running all! LC, congrats on your PR! Getting ready to head out for 10 this morning. My mom is watching the kids so I can actually go to the park and run with scenery!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

BelRunner

LC-great job!

Sra-nausea makes it so much harder!  

Cbus-I was hoping to PR, which would have meant around 7:44 pace, but looking at it now that was a little unrealistic.  My PR was set on a much less hilly course and after a rest week.  This course was rolling and I'd just finished my first 35+ mile week since August and my first 100+mile month since August.  So no surprise I didn't PR.  Checked out the results today-I was the 100th finisher!  Out of 234.  And 7/57 women and 2/14 in my age group (25-35).  I'd have gotten a trophy if I'd hung around for the awards.  

Jenny

PRs: 5K-23:08 (10/12), 10K-48:15 (4/12), 13.1-1:49:33 (10/12), 26.2-4:09:21 (5/12)