Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

If we are talking about the Pure Flow brand, it takes a while for the foot to get used to it and you should start building mileage on them.

Damaris

bagopux

Hills... I've been pondering hills lately.  I think I could write a novel on this subject!

Hills

by Bagopux

Chapter 1

It was the best of runs.  It was the worst of runs....

On going uphill:  What to do going uphill depends on so many things.  One of the most important is what you are training for on that particular run.  For example, Hudson (reading his book now) has a crazy workout of 8 second hill sprints.  You find a steep hill and bust your butt up it as hard as you can for 8 seconds, go back down and do it again.  As far as I can tell so far, these are strength training and anaerobic exercises.  But if you're talking about LT or MP, you're not going to sprint.  I think what you don't want to do is to exhaust yourself and break the continuity of your interval from an effort/lactate perspective.  So, on those runs, when I'm going up the hill I'll slow down some and try to push my effort level so I can make it to the top without going well out of my HR range.  Slightly out I think is OK.  For instance, Pfitz allows a slight HR adjustment when going up hill.  Another way to look at it is that I don't want to end up at the top and be breathing any harder than my usual 2:2 pattern for LT.  That is, keep the breathing under control all the way through.  Keep doing that and over time your pace up the hill should increase under the same effort, which, I presume, is the goal.

One thing to keep in mind is how to allocate your effort.  When I first started paying attention to hills, I thought that the thing to do was to attack the hill; to kick it into gear right at the bottom and try to maintain that all the way up.  Oh how wrong that was.  What works best for me is to ease into it.  I find that if I start slowly at the bottom of the hill and then pick up the effort as I go up, I get to the top with far greater success.  This is particularly tricky on rolling hills because you usually have a nice pace coming down the previous hill at an artificially low HR for that pace.  So if I hit the inflection point of the hill and start up, my HR is starting unusually low and then shoots up if I start going up hill at a normal pace.  What works best for me is to start putting on the brakes toward the end of the downhill and slow down.  I used to think that using the momentum from the downhill to get myself started on the uphill was a way to make the most efficient use of energy.  Seems intuitive, no?  But it doesn't work.  Not for me.  Tried it over and over and it always fails.  I always end up a hundred feet up the next hill with my HR way up.  

On going downhill:  I don't think there is any reason in training to speed up going downhill unless the downhill is so slight that you can speed up so much that you can maintain your HR/effort in the prescribed range.  Any decent hill is going to have a decent slope going down.  Downhills are the places where you can really hurt yourself, and for what?  What do you gain training-wise by racing down a really easy slope while your HR is going down?  Nothing really.  Not worth it.  In fact, if the hill is very steep, walk down.  Avoiding injury to your knees or ITB is more important than the momentary "weeeeeeeee, I'm going really fast" feeling. Smile

Trail Monster

I run by effort on hills. I've been pleasantly surprised by the actual paces lately. I'm going to have to look at setting up the Garmin workouts. The best I ever do is setting a pace range so it beeps at me if I'm too fast or too slow.

joshlynn, yoga is supposed to be excellent for runners. I really need to try to find a type of yoga I can stand.

Welcome back bray.

Docket, I'll trade you! It's been in the 40's and raining here.

Indiana, nice early miles! I still can't make myself do early runs except for once in a blue moon.

Nice miles Ami! I'm no help with shoes. I seem to be able to run in anything. I rotate Saucony Triumphs, Altra Superiors, and Hoka Bondi B's.

I've got a one hour steady state run on tap today. Going to try to take it outside later today. I'm sick of the treadmill and so is my left knee. You know you're a runner when you drag yourself out of bed at 11PM to find Biofreeze. LOL.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Ball of Fury

Thanks for the shoe thoughts guys!  I was worried about transitioning so close to the race, but the 2 LRS employees (who both seemed very knowledgeable) both seemed convinced I wouldn't have a hard time because of my usual strike pattern.  Evidently, my heel barely even touches the ground when I run.  If the Lunarglides weren't causing such a huge blister (this is not a normal blister...it is huge, bloody, and kept growing and growing...I actually thought it was getting infected at one point), I definitely wouldn't have changed shoes so close to the race.  I am thinking of picking up a pair of Ghosts and then alternating them with the PFs up until race time, and then deciding which to wear for the marathon.  You know what really, really makes me mad:  DH runs in Adrenalines, even though he doesn't even need a support shoe, and Wal-mart brand socks and has never had a single problem!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

Hey all, SRD for me today. 

Ami, I'd suggest caution transitioning to the Flows. And when I say "transitioning' I mean TRANSITIONING. Some people can just jump right in, and put on a shoe with a lower heel to toe drop and bust out 16 miles no problem. But not everyone. For those who cannot, I think a more cautious approach is necessary. Midfoot/forefoot striking doesn't mitigate the impact forces more than heel-striking. They just distribute them differently. Mostly, they distribute them to the AT and calf area. So it makes total sense that those are the places you are feeling it the most. On top of that, the lower heel drop is lengthening your calf and hammies. 8mm might not seem like a lot, but that's 2/3 of the difference! If it were me, I'd do the bulk of my training in whatever shoe has been working for me (I think you said the Saucony Guide--which is a stability shoe), and then slowly mix in the Flows. For example, I'd do all my slow recovery runs in them. Meanwhile, I'd do eccentric heel lifts to strengthen the small feet muscles that can off set some of the eccentric forces going to your AT. And I'd work on stretching out the hammies and calves. If all of that tightness goes away, then I'd increase my mileage in the Flows. All of THAT said, it could also be the normal aches and pains of MRT. Smile

Docket, glad the doc visit went well. 

Indi, great run. Was it just a GAR? 

Since Indi and Ami mentioned clothes: I realized I prefer to be colder than warmer. If I dress to warm, I sweat a lot, and my clothes soak it up (even though it's of tech material), and I start to feel sloshy. I'd rather underdress, and be a little colder than feel sloshy. Yesterday day was in the 40s (usually warm this time of year), and I wore shorts and a long sleeve tech shirt. The key however is gloves. If I keep my hands (and ears) warm, the rest of my body feels fine in the cold. Anyone else prefer cold to warm?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

CBus (and others):  Thanks so much for the advice...I will definitely try to break them in slowly.  The problem is the Guide's are not working well for me.  I have only had them for about 3-4 weeks and I really, really dislike them.  The shoe that was working pretty well was the Lunarglide 4, but then we had the blister problem.  The reason I purchased the Guide's where to replace the Nikes but I seriously hate them.  So, now kinda at a loss for what do to...I have the PF, which require a transition, and then I have the Lunarglide, which cause a huge blister, and then I have the Guide, which I hate.  My thought is to try to return the Guide to my LRS but what do I replace them with?  Another stability shoe, which I don't really need, or just a regular neutral shoe like the Ghost.  Yes, I realize this is sounds like a saga here but I really don't want to have shoe problems going in to my first marathon, ya know?

ETA:  I absolutely prefer warm to cold!!  DH is the exact opposite though.

cmb4314

cmb - yikes, welcome to my world.  I'm lucky as we have a bike path that the town maintains so as soon as it stops snowing, they go out and plow.  But I do feel your pain

They plow paths around here fairly well too, but this snowstorm has been particularly nasty.  The ones maintained by the town were plowed quickly, but all they really did was smoosh the snow down into a packed, flat sheet.....which is now a sheet of ice.  I don't think they're going to get around to any real path maintenance until they get the roads halfway decent, which hasn't happened yet.  If I could have run in daylight, I probably would have tossed on the Yaktrax and tested my luck, but at night I was wary.  It was also 8 degrees when I left work yesterday, so that wasn't exactly pulling me out the door either :-P

18 miles on a treadmill is a surreal experience.  When I run outside, I can conceptualize the distance because I went somewhere.  On the mill, it almost feels like I didn't do it, like there is no way that I actually went that many miles.  Though, I was on that damned thing for a hair over 3 hours (just long enough to have to reset the treadmill twice) so I think I did enough.  There was some dude next to me for my last 4 miles or so who kept staring at my speed and upping his as I upped mine.  Go ahead and race me dude.  These are my last four of 18, not my last four of....four.  Hehe.

Ami, I'd suggest caution transitioning to the Flows. And when I say "transitioning' I mean TRANSITIONING. Some people can just jump right in, and put on a shoe with a lower heel to toe drop and bust out 16 miles no problem. But not everyone. For those who cannot, I think a more cautious approach is necessary. Midfoot/forefoot striking doesn't mitigate the impact forces more than heel-striking. They just distribute them differently. Mostly, they distribute them to the AT and calf area. So it makes total sense that those are the places you are feeling it the most. On top of that, the lower heel drop is lengthening your calf and hammies. 8mm might not seem like a lot, but that's 2/3 of the difference! If it were me, I'd do the bulk of my training in whatever shoe has been working for me (I think you said the Saucony Guide--which is a stability shoe), and then slowly mix in the Flows. For example, I'd do all my slow recovery runs in them. Meanwhile, I'd do eccentric heel lifts to strengthen the small feet muscles that can off set some of the eccentric forces going to your AT. And I'd work on stretching out the hammies and calves. If all of that tightness goes away, then I'd increase my mileage in the Flows. All of THAT said, it could also be the normal aches and pains of MRT. Smile

I agree with this - I have a pair of PureConnects that I have barely run in, because I have thus far been too lazy (or too preoccupied with a hard training cycle) to put in the time necessary for me to transition.  The first time I wore them, I ended up with a mild case of PF after a two mile run, LOL.  So clearly, I need some MAJOR transition time to be able to run in them.  Right from the get go, I could feel all of the stresses in my feet and calves.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Smashy!!!

CBus (and others):  Thanks so much for the advice...I will definitely try to break them in slowly.  The problem is the Guide's are not working well for me.  I have only had them for about 3-4 weeks and I really, really dislike them.  The shoe that was working pretty well was the Lunarglide 4, but then we had the blister problem.  The reason I purchased the Guide's where to replace the Nikes but I seriously hate them.  So, now kinda at a loss for what do to...I have the PF, which require a transition, and then I have the Lunarglide, which cause a huge blister, and then I have the Guide, which I hate.  My thought is to try to return the Guide to my LRS but what do I replace them with?  Another stability shoe, which I don't really need, or just a regular neutral shoe like the Ghost.  Yes, I realize this is sounds like a saga here but I really don't want to have shoe problems going in to my first marathon, ya know?

ETA:  I absolutely prefer warm to cold!!  DH is the exact opposite though.

Hi Ami, 

Sorry if you went over this already, but what exactly don't you like about the Guide--and was it the model 5? The 5 has a lower heel to toe drop (8 vs. 12), and very minimal stability. I'd say just about as much as the Lunarglides. And where is the blister on the glides? 

Also, can you say in more detail what you do and don't like about each shoe? What shoe your LRS guys say you need (neutral versus light stability)? And what you are looking for in a shoe? 

The shoe selection process can be a very torturous one for some (like me). Some people, like your DH, can put on any shoe, even one not intended for them, and start running. Others have a lot of problems. The interesting thing for me is that you can run in the Flow without any real pain, but you were recommended stability shoes. That's weird. I'm a shoe junkie, and so maybe I can use my (useless) knowledge to help you find a shoe (I also review shoes for Runningshoeguru.com, which has given me exposure to a lot of different kinds of neutral shoes). 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

Cbus - yep.  GA run (I will be doing easy runs pretty much by mcmillan guidelines).  Everything during the week is easy in order to prep for first GMP run on Sunday (13 w/ 8 @ GMP).  Goal pace next race is 8:10 to 8:15, so I will be running GMP during training at 8:10.  And I definately prefer cold to warm.

amik - The ghosts have good room in the toe box.  Most shoes can be brought back within x number of days.  Whatever you do, hurry and git'er dun.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

mdawg87

Good morning!  7 miles for me this morning. 1 w/u, 8 x 600s w/400 recoveries, 1 c/d.  After a Clif bar, did upper body strength training, stretching, and The Stick.  Enjoying my eggs and toast as I type.  I could do this every day.  I love vacation...even though I'm still hitting the laptop a bit!

AmiK:  I'm the opposite of you...a true heel striker with mild pronation.  I love the Guides.  I've worn them for several years now...from the 4, to the 5, and now to the 6.  I think the 6s are the best yet.  They are smaller and lighter than the 5s.  If you don't have a shoe thats comfortable (and I'd agree it's too dangerous to run your race in the PF) see what the LRS can do for you with an exchange.  If the Guides aren't working for you, how about the Saucony Fastwitch or the Asics DS Racer?  They are racing shoes for mild overpronaters.  That might be enough support to get you through and also be light/flexible enough for your forefoot strike.  Just a guess on my part.  I'll defer to the experts at your LRS and on here.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

bagopux

Hi Ami, 

Sorry if you went over this already, but what exactly don't you like about the Guide--and was it the model 5? The 5 has a lower heel to toe drop (8 vs. 12), and very minimal stability. 

I'd be interested to hear the details too.  I'm going to transition from my last pair of Guide 4's to the 5 or 6 pretty soon and I'm a little nervous about going from 12mm to 8mm.  I tried the 5's once and they felt really different than anything I'd used before.  But I would like to see if I can get used to the lower heel drop.  The science is there that if you can use the lower heel drop, its a good thing.  I am a solid heel striker though. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You guys might prefer warm to cold but I'll bet you your dewpoint is not 76 for 6 months. Trust me, running in what we get here is not good!

Damaris

akalei

Hey donuts! It's been a while.  And ironically enough, I feel like i'm stuck in a running "rut."  If you know what I mean.  Hectic-ness of the holidays paired with rain Friday-Monday made it difficult.  Long run Sunday never happened because I had runing around to do in the morning, hubby got back from hunting camp earlier than expected, so we went right to IKEA and spent the rest of the day putting together our new kitchen stuff!  Was going to go to yoga last night but by the time I got dinner done, then spaghetti sauce before tomatoes went bad, then cookies for a work party today, it was 9:30.  So that didn't happen either.  Sigh.  DH and I are hoping to squeeze in 5--and try out our reflective gear--this evening.  Unfortunately, I've convinced myself I'm a disordered eater/exerciser, so I feel anxious after not running since Saturday now.  Vicious cycle.

As for all the Garmin and HRM stuff, I have no input because the most I run with is a Timex and an iPod Shuffle.  DH has a garmin that we'd use if we didn't know the exact route or distance we'd be running.  I asked for my own for Christmas... I hope Santa brings one!

I'm a PureFlow devotee and I agree on them taking time to get used to.  I switched from Newtons, so I was already used to the zero drop shoe, but the slighter cushioning took some adjusting. 

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Ball of Fury

You guys are so awesomely helpful!  Here are the details:  I first started running about a year and 1/2 ago and was told at that time I was overpronating and needed a stability shoe.  I had the Brooks Adrenaline and they were ok, no real problems but kinda heavy.  After the Adrenaline, I switched to the Ravenna 2, because the LRS guy thought I really didn't need much stability if any when he watched me run (that was about a year ago).  I liked the Ravenna, but the toe box was a bit narrow and my poor pinky toes did not love them.  When it was time for new shoes, I got the Nike Lunarguide 4 because they had a wider toe box, but were light stability, which I still thought I needed.  When I first started wearing them, I got a small blister on my left foot, just below by big toe (right on the pad of my foot, right on the inside).  I thought this might just be from increased mileage or that I needed new socks, so I tried that first, but the blister just kept growing and growing.  It got big and bloody, very painful, and then I had a doc drain it and it was full of pus.  He is a foot and ankle surgeon and told me I should really switch shoes, which was a bummer because I did like the LG4 because they were lighter and just felt good on my feet.

So, went to LRS and they recommended the Guide 5 as being very similar to the LG4.  I tried them on and they felt ok in the store so I went with it.  From my first run in them, though, they just felt off.  For whatever reason, they feel heavy and clunky to me, even though I think they are pretty similar to the LG4 (and yes, the heel drop is 8mm).  So, here I was stuck with a pair of LG4 and the Guides and not really able to run well in either one.  Upon some reading, I realized that many people are either "misdiagnosed" as overpronating or with experience, change their running style so they no longer need a stability shoe.  With that in mind, I went back to LRS and had them watch me run/walk and all that good stuff (hadn't been assessed in over a year).  Both employees agreed I didn't need a stability shoe and that I should try something that supports a forefoot strike.  I tried on Newton's, but didn't really want to go that extreme just yet.  Also tried on the PF and the Kinvara and went with the PF.  My plan was to transition to the PF and I guess use the Guide's as my other shoe for a while.  The problem with that is now that I have run in the PF, the Guides feel even worse.  I feel like running in them makes me change my entire running style if that makes any sense.   I know that's not very specific...they don't cause pain or anything, I just feel strange running in them.  The PF really feel like they were made for me and I had a great run in them Sunday, as dumb as that was to run the entire 16 miles in them.  However, I obviously want to be smart about the whole thing and not injure myself or negate all the training I have done for the marathon with something as silly as a shoe problem.

If it makes any difference, I have no injury history and run around 50 mpw.  Again, I really appreciate you guys all taking the time to help me and would appreciate any suggestions on where to go from here.

Ball of Fury

You guys might prefer warm to cold but I'll bet you your dewpoint is not 76 for 6 months. Trust me, running in what we get here is not good!

Oh I bet!  I didn't really mean I like running in heat, I just prefer to dress a bit more on the warm side rather than the cool side!