Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Canuck

Mdawg - I once tried Lunarglides, which have a touch of stability, and they made me supinate (you could tell by the wear on the bottom) and my knee started hurting, so that is why I'm always in neutral shoes, I really have a truly neutral stride - I wear out the sole of my shoes right down the middle of the mid-foot.  I don't think they have any effect on calf tightness - low heel drop definitely does though - the Kinvaras are harder on my calves than the others.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

bago, nice novel. I lit a fire in the fireplace and got a cozy blanket to sit down and read your story, "Bago Of The Hill People". You did mention that you didn't see much point in running fast down the hills. If you are planning on running a race with a lot of down hill, wouldn't it be good to get your legs used to the downhill pounding?

Finally finished my first Hanson's 12x400m interval session tonight in the dark. I was pretty happy with the result, averaged a 6:57 pace, with a range of 6:54 to 7:01. I haven't run that fast since a 10k over 2 months ago and the slight soreness in my glute area that had bothered me when running fast wasn't even noticeable. I did just end up setting the watch to autolap every 1/4 mile. I was planning to set up a workout, but I realized I forgot my Ant+ stick at home so I couldn't transfer it to my watch. Regarding the intervals with hills, I just found the flattest 1/4 mile I could find and used that. It wasn't perfect, as I found myself having to slow down or speed up to keep the target pace through the inclines/declines, I need to try to do them at home where it is flat in the future (if I run after work I like to run before driving home to let traffic die down).

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

White Lightning

Evening everyone, busy day for me, didn't get my run in until after dinner.  Forced myself to get an easy 6 on the TM tonight at 10:37.  Fifth day in a row where everything is feeling good.  Looking good to hit 30 this week

Play the Game Hard!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Very sleepy today.  MLR tonight.

sramaley, that is crazy.  Playing paddle board in that?

Nick, nice Hanson workout.

Josh, a TM workout is still a workout.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Morning all.  This week is crazy for me, so I'll go back through and do shoutouts when I can.

Ran 3.9 @ 8:35 or so yesterday.  I should be able to get in a run at lunch today, too.  We'll see.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Trail Monster

Nick, nice intervals! I usually do mine on the treadmill but I think I'm going to move them outside so I can learn to feel the pace better.

Joshlynn, nice easy miles.

Docket, hope you have a great MLR! Lower humidity today?

Flinders, speedy 3!

I've got an 80 minute run on the schedule and a plan to do 9:1 run/walks. I'm hoping to hit 12k (7.45 miles) for 12/12/12. LOL.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

mdawg87

Good morning!  SRD for me.  Back at work and the dig out begins.  Glad I at least kept up with email the past two days.  Well, I guess I'm going to start stalking some of the group's RA logs.  I've never kept one nor do I use all the fancy apps on my Garmin to track anything.  Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get some more data on my efforts.  It seems to be useful to many of you.

Zoe:  The low heel drop being harder on the calves makes sense.  Thanks!  How are you surviving without the NHL?

Banshee:  I tend to do most of my speedwork on the TM just so it will force me to hold pace.  It's worked pretty well for me.  I do the tempo, long interval stuff outside though.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Nick, nice intervals! I usually do mine on the treadmill but I think I'm going to move them outside so I can learn to feel the pace better.

Joshlynn, nice easy miles.

Docket, hope you have a great MLR! Lower humidity today?

Flinders, speedy 3!

I've got an 80 minute run on the schedule and a plan to do 9:1 run/walks. I'm hoping to hit 12k (7.45 miles) for 12/12/12. LOL.

I need a laughing my ass off smiley at this point.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ball of Fury

Morning all!  I am sure you are all waiting with bated breath to here about my LRS visit Big grin.  I didn't particularly care for the LRSG (local running store guy) that helped me, but I did come with a pair of Mizuna Wave Riders.  He seemed supremely convinced they were the shoe for me...so much so that I had to convince him to even let me try on the Precisions and a couple other pair of shoes!  They didn't have the Precision in my size and honestly they felt the same as the Riders when I ran in them so I went with the Riders.  Ran 6 miles this morning at 9:15/mile and I liked them a lot.  They are a bit more firm than I am used to but otherwise, it was a good run (but COLD...24 degrees when I went out).  All the aches and pain from yesterday were gone this morning, so it probably was just soreness/stiffness from the weekend activities.  Anyway, thank you all again for all the help with the shoe dilemma...hopefully, these work out well.

Nick:  Nice interval workout.  I need to run more intervals outside...usually do them on the TM because its easier.

Josh:  Nice TM run...I am never even awake at 10:37 PM, much less running at that time!

Flinders:  Nice speedy run last night...enjoy your lunch run today.

Banshee:  Love it...12K on 12/12/12...enjoy!

Mdawg:  Enjoy your rest day!

Docket:  When I was running in the freezing cold this morning, I was thinking of you down there in the heat and humidity...made me feel better Smile

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

bagopux

bago, nice novel. I lit a fire in the fireplace and got a cozy blanket to sit down and read your story, "Bago Of The Hill People". You did mention that you didn't see much point in running fast down the hills. If you are planning on running a race with a lot of down hill, wouldn't it be good to get your legs used to the downhill pounding?

Nick,Well, if you're training for something like St George or Steamtown, which are both point-to-points with significant net elevation drops, then yes.  But otherwise not really. Once you've proven on a run or two that you can do the downhills without injury, then there's nothing to gain by barreling down.  There is so little physiological gain from running downhill and so much pounding on the knees that its not worth it.  Now, I'm not talking about running down a slight grade, say under 1-3% over a few hundred feet.  I'm talking about decent downhills of 5-10% or more.

And now for my next work -- a non-fiction comedy:  So I get up this morning all ready to do 7 miles w/ 4 at LT before work.  Turns out, its dark at 6:10.  And at 6:20.  And still at 6:30.... and at 6:40.. WTF?  Clearly I have not been paying attention to this earth-wobbling thing.  Finally, at about 6:55 its just light enough to run.  So now I've adjusted my plan to just 5 miles of easy pace.  Get started and after a half mile I realize I forgot my key.  Run back and gf is already gone to the gym for her personal training session.  OK, got to run a short route and get back to the house after she gets home and before she leaves for work.  Of course, if I stick close to home, I'm running hills.  No way around it.  So, now I've got myself a 5 mile hill run.  Get on back to the house.  No gf.  Loop around the block on some more hills.  No gf.  Around again.  More hills. No gf.  One more time.  More hills.  Finally I can get back into the house!  So, what started as 7 miles + 4 LT, then became 5 miles easy, then 5 miles hills and ended as 8 miles on hills.  (Somehow I don't think this is what Hudson would call "adaptive training.")  Turns out, gf's personal training wasn't even scheduled for today; its tomorrow.  So she went to the gym by mistake and I did 8 miles by mistake.  Oh, and this is on top of last night's URD, where I had one foot out the door to the gym to run a few miles on the treadmill and was reminded that I had promised to cook potato pancakes that night.  Ooops.  Outro ... cue Benny Hill theme music.....

Dreamn

Bago, tell me about the downhill at end of Richmond.  It actually has me worried that the last 4 miles (or is it 5) are relatively downhill.  I hate downhills.  Crazy and amusing start to your morning. 

5.8 (random I know) @8:56 yesterday.  Planning on getting ~7 in today after work.

Docket_Rocket

bago, can you put a profile picture, please?  Every time I see a post from you, I see the envelope icon instead, and I start thinking your envelope is talking. Big grin

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Good morning donuts!

Docket - I know the feeling. Houston is crazy humid as well. The challenge for me in the summer is trying to keep mileage up. THe heat is avoidable by running at night or early AM (still 85-90 degrees) but no way to avoid our humidity other than treadmill (barf).

Ami - Good luck witht he Waves.

Run people, run. And dont be donut holes.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

bagopux

Dreamn, the downhill on the last 5 miles or so is very gentle.  You barely notice it, just like you don't really notice the gentle uphill for the first 5 or 6 miles.  Its really nothing.  The only tricky part is the last half mile.  The slope starts heading downhill and just gets steeper and steeper to the finish line.  It is without a doubt the fastest finish of any race I've ever done.  If you're not a fan of downhills, you may have to gently apply the parking brake toward the end and there may be some people flying by you, but as for the previous several miles, once get back across the James River they are really very pleasant (in a relative way, after all its still the last stretch of a marathon).

There are a couple of other downhills on the course.  If I'm not mistaken there's a decent downslope when you first come across the river.  But I think there's a switchback in it to help you down.

My recollection is that the several miles on the south side of the river are really pretty.  That's just a nice run especially at that time of year.  I've run it 2x and the second time we caught a vicious headwind coming back across the river for about 1/2 mile.  Other than, the race conditions were very good.

bagopux

bago, can you put a profile picture, please?  Every time I see a post from you, I see the envelope icon instead, and I start thinking your envelope is talking. Big grin

That is a picture.  I'm very pasty white and totally rectangular.  I used to be a square, but I'm feeling better now.  Smile