Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi all.

cmb:  Way to go on smoking the lady in fancy flats.  I agree with cbus on shoes:  if it works for you, then run in them. 

On shoes, I think that as one progresses as a runner and gets stronger, one can do with less cushioning in a shoe because your muscles are stronger and can absorb more of the force of the footfall (i.e. you rely less on the foam in the shoe to do that for you).  But I think that for most people, the need for pronation control is more set. I could be completely wrong about this, though.

I don't have much else.  I sat in meetings all day and my brain is pretty fried still.

Hi to everyone.  Stay warm for all of you who actually have real winter.

I doubled today.  3.7 @ 8:52 at lunch; 6.7 @ 9:27 this evening.  This reversed my typical double, and it is easier to run the longer run first.  The second run felt much harder than the pace indicates.

I find this as well.  Two years ago, I had to run in support only.  As I've progressed (and lost weight), my body is running better (and injury free) in neutrals.  So I think it's not surprising to change types of shoes at some point in time.

Damaris

Rusk Runner

Roll - How long till your back on the road, bro?

Docket - You take that week and enjoy it!

Most of you - I agree with the if it aint broke thing.

Twofoot - good workout!

A little fast on the tempo portion again but it was comfortable and avg HR was where it should have been for the fast end of tempo range.

2 miles warm-up @ 8:59 pace.  4 miles tempo @ 7:21 pace.  2 miles cool-down @ 9:12 pace.

Happy running to all!  I will be getting up super early to cook some cajun stuffed chickens for a christmas pitch in.  Hope to slide in 5 recovery while the birds are in the oven.  I will check in while most of you are snug in bed.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have bruising. And pain. Bruising and pain.

An idea. Make a list of all known enemies. Then systematically urge them to undergo Graston. Annoying coworker? Graston. Hated in law? Graston. Al Queda? Graston. ...wait a minute...Graston was recommended to me?! Sprinkles, you got beef bra? 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

URD again.  Not really worried and not really itching to run either.  Work has been busy and I just come back home wishing to just sit and enjoy a glass of wine and a movie.  I think I'm taking a mental week off.

That's why my runs are almost exclusively in the morning, otherwise I would have far too many URD, would reek havoc with training plan.

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

Indianajones - i am not sure. It isn't feeling any better. I have broken this same toe a number of times in my life but this time it's not feeling like its healing. I may have to break down and go to the Dr. Wouldn't be as bad if I could cycle in the meantime to expend some energy but that aggrevates it. It's all temporary but I am not a patient fella.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Cbus- I went to Graston yesterday too- it wasn't that bad this time and I'm not in pain- I guess things weren't as crunchy.  The worse you are, the more painful the aftermath.  Must have been pretty tight.

Nachos- I had to switch to more neutral shoes as well and my injuries went away - I think my gait was just improperly analyzed- maybe I pronate a little bit, but nothing worthy of stability shoes.

Docket- HOpe work gets less crazy!

Had a good ladder workout today- was aiming for 7 miles but stopped at 6 because we accidentally forgot to leave our doorman a key and our pup got locked out coming home from the sitter, so I had to jet home in a flash.

Workout was like this on the treadmill

2 miles warmup

1200m @ 7.5mph

1000m @ 7.6 mph

800m @7.7 mph

600m @7.8mph

400m @ 7.9 mph

200m @ 8.0 mph

with 200m recovery in between + 1 mile cooldown

= 6.5 miles total

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Smashy!!!

Sprink, I got to experience some of that today. He worked on the left quad a bit, saying it was adhered to the ITB, which hurt. Then he checked out the right quad, and instead of hurting, it tickled, literally. Weird. But hey, if it gets me running pain free again, then bring on the hurt. 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Sprinkler, how long have you been doing that? Cbus, sounds horrible, keep us posted on progress. My curiosity is at attention.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Rusk Runner

Cbus - Like Roll, you have my curiosity peaked.  I never knew what graston was until you and sprink talked about it and I googled it.  I hope I never have to do it, but I am very interested in how all this turns out for you.  I am also very much hoping that you will be running pain free soon.  You too Mdawg, Roll, Amik, Nachos, and anyone else suffering from some sort of injury.

Decided to put off my 5 recovery miles till tomorrow.  Last nights tempo is still fresh in my legs and I was downright sleepy this morning.  I hear thunder in the distance and the wind is picking up.  The treadmill will be rolling tomorrow morning.  Pitch in dinner to celebrate Christmas today.  I have been smelling these shrimp etouffee stuffed boneless chickens cook all morning.  I want to sit down with a fork and knife and tear into one instead of going to work.  Despicable me.

Catch y'all in a few hours!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That's why my runs are almost exclusively in the morning, otherwise I would have far too many URD, would reek havoc with training plan.

I am the opposite.  I cannot run in the mornings (I would have to start before 3am) and if I run too many mornings, I would quit.  It's not work that has impede my running; I just have no mojo and I needed a break so I took it.

Morning!  I guess I should run tonight.  We'll see.

Damaris

Ball of Fury

Paula:  Nice workout with intervals....intervals are the most fun workout for me!

Docket:  You enjoy the rest...you deserve it.  I am definitely in the "have to run in the mornings" camp because once I get home from work, it's over.

Roll:  Sorry about the injury and hope it heals soon.  I ran in the Ravenna for a while...hated them!

2foot:  Nice 7 with tempo...that's interesting that your Garmin was more different than usual.

Flinders:  Nice double!

Indy:  Nice tempo pace yesterday and enjoy the rest day tomorrow.  That chicken sounds awesome!  I will be hitting the TM for the next couple days as well.  I really don't mind the rain/cold, etc....but wind is my nemesis!  So, 30 mph with 50 mph gusts just sound awful!

Cbus:  Ouch!!  You are making me NOT want to go see DHs chiro!  But, as you said, if it gets us running pain free, bring it on!

Sprinkles:  Sounds like a great TM workout!

Since the kids are on Christmas break, DH and I are having to get a bit creative to fit both our runs in.  He needed to do 10 this morning so I let him run outside (weather not bad yet...wind only 15 mph) this morning, which means I will have to run after work (which I hate...sometimes it is super hard that both of us need to run this many miles, ya know?).  I will probably go to the gym and run on the TM because the weather is supposed to be nasty soon.  I am supposed to do 6-7 easy but I have a hard time running easy on the TM because of boredom...I will see what happens.  In other news, my pinkie toenail fell off this morning....good times!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Ball of Fury

I forgot to add that DH saw the same truck this morning going through the trash in a neighborhood about a mile away....said the back of his truck was full too!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

cmb4314

Morning!

Quick stop in for me, lots to do at work today.

Managed 14 in the dark last night before it started snowing.  Fortunately, we're just getting the fringe of the storm so we're only going to end up with a few inches of snow.  Still had a pretty nasty commute this morning, though.

6 recovery tonight, on the treadmill.  SRD tomorrow, which is good because between work and travel, I wouldn't have time to run anyway.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

mdawg87

Here's a tidbit for you...I just got an email that donuts are in our 4th floor conference room.

Strength training and elliptical this morning at the gym.  Calf is doing better.  It's not as tender to the touch nor is it as sore when I stretch.  Appears that I'm on the mend.  I'm still thinking two weeks before it's completely healed though.

Shoe related:  Same thing here regarding initially fitted with too much stability.  My first pair of shoes were straight out stability shoes for major overpronation.  I've since moved to much lighter shoes with only a touch of pronation correction.

Running time of day:  Strictly a morning runner here.  I hate running after work.  I've done it a few times when there's been no other option, but I'll do just about anything to avoid it.  I've got feet on pavement/treadmill by 5 am.  Not as hardcore as Indiana, but close!

AmiK:  I'd still alert the police if I were you.  That's creepy even if they are just scavenging.

Docket:  If anyone deserves a break it's you!  Take that mental health time and ger refreshed.

cbus:  Graston sounds er....interesting?  As long as it does the trick, I'd stick with it.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Confess!  You sent donuts to yourself! Big grin

Here's a tidbit for you...I just got an email that donuts are in our 4th floor conference room.

Strength training and elliptical this morning at the gym.  Calf is doing better.  It's not as tender to the touch nor is it as sore when I stretch.  Appears that I'm on the mend.  I'm still thinking two weeks before it's completely healed though.

Shoe related:  Same thing here regarding initially fitted with too much stability.  My first pair of shoes were straight out stability shoes for major overpronation.  I've since moved to much lighter shoes with only a touch of pronation correction.

Running time of day:  Strictly a morning runner here.  I hate running after work.  I've done it a few times when there's been no other option, but I'll do just about anything to avoid it.  I've got feet on pavement/treadmill by 5 am.  Not as hardcore as Indiana, but close!

AmiK:  I'd still alert the police if I were you.  That's creepy even if they are just scavenging.

Docket:  If anyone deserves a break it's you!  Take that mental health time and ger refreshed.

cbus:  Graston sounds er....interesting?  As long as it does the trick, I'd stick with it.

Damaris