Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Ah the hunger.  I am right in the middle of training for by first marathon and I'm eating all the time!  It's funny how much my eating habits have changed since I started to run more seriously.  My body craves carbs and sugar.  I have a brownie or cookies for snack almost every afternoon, which would have seemed excessive and fattening in my old life.  But now I'm just trying to stay full and carb-up for my night time run.  And there are a lot of things I used to eat that scare me a little now - greasy and spicy especially.  I avoid things that may lead to unhappy churning later.

So hello everyone.  I'm a newbie, and not too chatty but have liked this group since RWOL.  I found a lot of good discussions back when I was researching my training plan and learned a lot.  It seems that the December Donuts topic is mostly for the daily dialog amongst all y'all.  Someday I will probably compose my own version of the "Help me! First Marathon Pace Advice ..." question that you've all seen a bazillion times.  Dare I drop it under Donuts, or out there in BF (or is it B&B here)?  What's the etiquette?

Most of my runs are at night after the kids are all tucked in.  But I had a 12 mile early moring run today.  I think that I dislike morning runs, but they end up being by best runs.  Really I just hate waking up early.  But seeing the world wake up and the night sky gradually brighten is kinda nice.  Plus all the other runners seem to be out then.  I averaged about 9:20m/m which is good.

Ball of Fury

Oh lord....I am an idiot.  Meals/miles...whatever!

Dark:  Nice run!  I was just wondering that too...I start tapering next week so I need to do a pace advice thread and I wasn't sure where to put it on RA...what do you guys think?

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

welcome aboard, streets. I run at night for the same reasons.

Put the pace advice here - for my own selfish reasons. I tend not to search for things over there as much.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

vegefrog

Ah the hunger.  I am right in the middle of training for by first marathon and I'm eating all the time!  It's funny how much my eating habits have changed since I started to run more seriously.  My body craves carbs and sugar.  I have a brownie or cookies for snack almost every afternoon, which would have seemed excessive and fattening in my old life.  But now I'm just trying to stay full and carb-up for my night time run. 

Hmmm...Brownie and cookies every day? Just because you are burning lots of calories, don't you think it's still wise to eat healthy?  When you are stressing your body with marathon training you need to fuel it properly...there is nothing in a brownie or cookie that does a body good, LOL. They are still fattening in "this life"...

I don't run so that I can eat all the junk I want. I run to be healthier, thus,  eating brownies and cookies every day would be counter-productive to my goals. I guess if you are running with no regard to your performance or overall health, that's no big deal.

Not trying to pick on you...it just sort of sucks that you are doing so much good for your body by running and then sabotaging it with junk food!

For me it wasn't really a conscious decision...the more I ran, the more I craved healthy foods. Healthy fats like Avocado and almonds, good carbs like whole wheat pasta and sweet potatoes and lean proteins like chicken and fish all just became staples of my diet. I don't even consider my diet healthy really.

Here's some motivation: Say you eat 300 calories worth of sweets every day. Your body doesn't need that if it's coming in the form of a brownie. 300x7=2100 calories a week!!!!!!! Goodness! It would take 20 miles to burn that off! For every pound lighter you are, you are 2 seconds per mile faster!!!!! Over an 18 week marathon training program, all those calories amount to 10 lbs!!!!!! That's 20 seconds per mile faster you could be if you just DIDN'T eat the brownies!!!

I guess I'm just lazy, LOL. I will take those free 20 seconds any day instead of the brownies Wink

Smashy!!!

Hey Dark Streets, welcome. Cookie or brownie? Around here it's donuts!

I would post that race advice thread in the MRT group, or the Racing forum. You could post it here, but wont get as diverse a response, I'm guessing. 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Welcome, dark streets.  I would post it here (separate thread) and in the forums so you can get as many responses as you can.

Damaris

bagopux

whole wheat pasta

Aargh!! Three words that just don't go together!  Has anyone found any whole wheat pasta that's not just a cardboardy approximation of the real deal? I've tried several and found them to be barely edible.

nachosgrande

banshee - regarding the QOTD, during training I ended up just eating anything and everything, anytime I wanted.  The only things I stayed away from were regular soda and alcohol.  Otherwise, I just sort of pigged out.  Unfortunately, I've ingrained some bad habits that need fixing after the holidays.  Since I stopped training in October, I've gained 12 pounds and I'm inching towards the border of "overweight" on the BMI.

Sprinkles - maybe I should look into the Graston or at least a simple sports massage.  I think some of my issues are stemming from an extremely tight left calf.  I literally can't static stretch it more than an inch or two.  Almost zero range of motion at this point.  My foam roller only provides minimal relief.

Bago - I think we just have to live with the crappy texture.  I've tried every kind of whole wheat pasta and they all have a miserable texture.

Welcome to the forum, Dark Streets!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Aargh!! Three words that just don't go together!  Has anyone found any whole wheat pasta that's not just a cardboardy approximation of the real deal? I've tried several and found them to be barely edible.

I can eat brown rice (and like it) but I hate whole wheat pasta.

Damaris

White Lightning

Cbus - Nice run, nice pace.  Watching very curiously how the Graston works for you

Banshee - Nice training run

Bago - Although I felt over priced, RnR did a great job in Vegas.  Hope it works out for you guys

Streets - Welcome.  I'd post over in the forums for your pace advice, I have no idea what I'm doing, no advice from me

Vegefrog - 100% agree with everything you said.

QOTD -  Last cycle I let the excuse of I'm training for a marathon allow me to eat and drink too much.  This go around its a whole new story.  I'm eating less and a lot more more often.  About every hour I go grab a mandarin orange, hand full of nuts, piece of toast, etc...  Try to keep all snacks at 100 calories or under, but 6 times a day, then Eat three normal meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  The snacks keep the hunger away, if its 8 times, its 8 times, 10 times its 10 times.  Trying hard to listen to my body.  For me doing that keeps the "ravenous" away.  So I guess I eat up to 12 times a day?  Yikes.  My 2013 goal is way more fruit.  Also being vegetarian allows me to eat much bigger dinners, pile that plate high with veggies, lots of food in the body and try to time dinner so i'm just almost hungry when I go to bed, then wake up to a nice breakfast.  Of course last night I polished off half a bag of Goldfish Crackers.....

Whole Wheat Pasta - I make my own and turns out really good.  Also been working on a Vegan Quinoa and Chia Seed pasta, i'm almost there with it.  I can make my pasta dough and run it through the roller by the time the water boils, really easy.  I was thinking of starting a "what's cooking" thread to share recipes, pictures and ideas

Me - Nice 6 mile run with 3 miles at 9:08 in the middle.  Everything felt great

Play the Game Hard!

Rusk Runner

I dont care for whole wheat pasta, but I will eat soba (japanese buckwheat noodles) like its going out of style.  There is only one style of asian brown rice that I care for.  I do not like american style rice at all.  But I do not have much problem eating jasmine white rice or other white rice either.  I like to eat healthy, but I cant edge towards the extremes.  Where I live, choices are limited, and driving over an hour to shop for groceries aint gonna happen on a regular basis.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Indi, do you like Nang Myun too? It's Korean buckwheat noodles, usually served in cold broth or mixed in hot bean paste. It's my fav! 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

.  I was thinking of starting a "what's cooking" thread to share recipes, pictures and ideas

yes, please do. I need some new healthy recipes. Mine are all obvious and growing to routine.

All - thanks for the welcome.

vege - I totally hear you on the nutrition advice.  I'm actaully eating much healthier than it sounded.  The cookies are how I deal with my mid-afternoon cravings at work, especially if I know my run will bump dinner to 9-10pm.  Not that it's right, and I certainly snack better at home.  Probably the best thing I've done is to give up soft drinks.  Funny thing, I discovered that sucking on a soda all afternoon did not make me feel well-hydrated and ready for a run.  Go figure.  Now I've lost the taste for all that HFCS sweetness, which is good.  Also I used to eat many bowls of cereal for breakfast every morning, but now I just eat one bowl of oatmeal with some honey.  And I no longer crave the bacon double cheesebugers and such.  I lost  maybe 15 pounds, which seemed to be mostly around my waist.  The real test will be if I can adjust well when I am not in training mode.

well, i gave in and scheduled a dr appt for tomorrow ro x-ray the toe & joint. ill be back with pics