Sub-4 Marathon Group

June 2019 let's reopen this unused forum! (Read 21 times)

Altair5

Runs in the rain

There might be an interest in training for a 4 hour or better marathon, I found this forum sitting unused. If there is an interest in training for a 4 hour or better marathon, well, let's share our experiences. I just turned 68 and want to try to Boston Qualify in 2020 by running a September marathon. That is like a year and a half away! For my age a BQ is right now now 4 hours 5 minutes, but to be sure of making the cut you have to do a bit better, so to try for 4 hours of faster seems like a good goal for me. I did run a 4 hour 3o minute marathon 2 years ago, but I will have to step up my game to meet my goal. I am not sure if there is an interest and if people will come to join this group, but I thought I'd try this.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
    Get up, get out, get out of the door!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hey Altair, I guess this is an appropriate place for me, too. I'm 66, and at this point, sub-4 is my goal for any marathon. It's not too much of a stretch for me, as seven of my twelve marathons have been under 4. Currently ramping up miles in preparation for MCM, October 26 27.

Hope others pop in, as well!

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Well, you and me make two, so this is not a total bust! Maybe a few others will join us! My fastest marathon was back in 1998 when I did 4:10:44. Until now I never thought about speed, just to finish was the goal. My fastest half was in 1995 with a 1:44:36, about an 8 minute pace and my fastest race was the same year- 5 miles in 36:54, a 7:23 pace. Now I'm not even as swift as that, but if I could BQ I would be very happy!

Brilliant

I'd like to run another marathon and at this point have no idea what to aim for, let's call it 4:something.

My main goal right now is a 2 hour HM.  2:07 is my PR.  I ran 2:08 at my last one and was pretty disappointed - I was literally crying over my beer in the beer garden. (It seems funny now, but that day it was a crushing disappointment).

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Brilliant - I've heard a method of predicting your marathon time by doubling the time for your half and adding 15 minutes. So let's see, 4 hours minus 15 minutes is 3:45 and half of that is 1:52:30.  So if the ultimate goal is to finish a marathon at close to a 4 hours  you would need to do better than 2 hours for the half, like 7 1/2 minutes faster! As for attaining the main goal of the 2 hour half -  my advice is to build a big millage base. Try running weeks of 40 miles or more. Do some runs of greater than the 13.1 mile distance, like build your long run of the week up gradually to like 15 miles or more, but you don't have to run it at race speed. It is disappointing not to reach your goal in a race. Sometimes conditions are just not right, maybe too hot or you have an off day. That is why if you want to be sure you have to put in the needed training. Better to suffer in training, do your homework and come race day you can feel confident and enjoy yourself! At least that's what I keep telling myself! Actually, I'm not all that convinced that I can meet that 4 hour goal, but I have to at least give it my best try! 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

With the marathon especially, I resign myself to being philosophical about my performance, because some things, weather in particular, are out of my control.  If the temp is pushing 80F, it's not going to be a good time. If it's in the 45 - 60 range, woohoo, the stars have aligned.

That said, training is very much under my control, so I can't blame the weather if I haven't trained adequately.

May our stars align on marathon day!

Brilliant

Hi Altair, yes, I know my HM time is pretty far off from a 4hr marathon.  Baby steps. Smile. I hope to continue to chip away at my HM time in the hopes that with proper marathon training I can improve the marathon results too.

One problem is that I'm not getting any younger.   I started running 8 years ago at 44.  I'm now 52 and I really hoped I had some more PRs in me but maybe not.  I've been stuck at the 2:07-2:08 level for 2+ years.  In my defense, I've had some big health problems in the last couple of years including a major surgery.

What do you all have coming up?  LL, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the MCM in October as that one is on my "maybe next year" list.  My son is at Marine bootcamp right now!  Altair, do you have anything planned before your goal marathon in Sept 2020?

The only thing on my calendar right now is a Revel HM in Nov because it's local and all my friends do it.  Also Surf City HM in Feb, again bc it's local and I do it every year.  If I can stay healthy in the next month or two I might pull the trigger and register for CIM in Dec.  I'm holding a hotel reservation just in case.

(BTW I'm the female half of the profile photo)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

One problem is that I'm not getting any younger.   

Unlike the rest of us!

LL, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the MCM in October as that one is on my "maybe next year" list.  My son is at Marine bootcamp right now!

Brilliant, you totally should do MCM next year as a tribute to your son, whether or not he's not permitted to be there to cheer Mom on!  Just make sure you get in on the rush registration. It was March 19 this year.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I had taken a long break in the spring and just now have resumed running. It is amazing to me how fast you lose the fitness it takes so long to build. Right now I have just done some very short runs at a very slow pace. There is a local race that comes up in September and you can do either a 5K or a half marathon. I am not sure at this point if I should do the HM since I would have just a few weeks to build up to being able to run 13.1 miles, but I could do it if I chose to. I could always add some walk breaks in if I have to.

I did a 8 mile bike ride yesterday and really felt it when going up hills. I was reading about how some people are like "shufflers" who run very efficiently for long distances but lack the strength for speed. I think I am like that and perhaps more bike rides uphills could help develop more strength.

Brilliant, I just turned 68 so to me you are still a spring chicken! I understand how illness and surgeries can set one back, but I do think you can still get PR with the proper training. Neither of us can probably say we ran our races at the highest possible levels, so there is a lot of room for improvement! Of course the training to get faster only get harder as we get older. If I do run the 4 hour marathon it will be my fastest one ever!

I've joined here as well. My immediate goal is <2hr half in November,  which will be my first race of any kind, but next year I'll run a hopefully <4hr full marathon.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

davidtt - I just signed up this week to do a half this year myself, mine will be Sept.1st. I am still working up to the distance so I don't expect anything close to a sub 2 hours. My very first race was a half marathon as well, way back in '93. I had little training, but a running coworker convinced me to try saying I could start walking if I could not run the whole distance. I did run the entire thing, mostly at a slow jog. My legs were shaking after I crossed the finish line. Hopefully you will be better trained for your own first race.