Sub-4 Marathon Group

July 2013 (Read 44 times)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Afternoon Donuts! Quick fly by for me.Easy 10.3m this morning. I was totally in the zone the last 5m or so. felt really good out there. Another 10 miler tomorrow with some build-ups. This Hanson plan not so bad just yet.Smile lol

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Afternoon Donuts! Quick fly by for me.Easy 10.3m this morning. I was totally in the zone the last 5m or so. felt really good out there. Another 10 miler tomorrow with some build-ups. This Hanson plan not so bad just yet.Smile lol

lol, just wait.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Talking about donuts, they just opened a DDs around the office.  This will NOT end well.

AmiK, yay at the mileage!  Very happy for you.

Cbus, nice run, notwithstanding the Garmin.

Sprinkles, nice strides.  Yeah, that weight loss never lasts, pffftttt.

Nick, hiya!  Nice 10k race!

Flinders, nice interval session.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

LOL, RVD.  When should we start seeing jedi saying OMG?

Damaris

mdawg87

Quick in for me during a meeting break...

cbus:  Your HM PR supports an 8:45 GMP.  Go for it and as the others have said, back off if you need to.

More later if I have time...

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

cmb4314

Thought of you all today when I got a free donut at the start of my 8:30 meeting.  It is also "employee appreciation day" so somehow I have snagged free donut, free lunch, and free cookie today.  I have also made my trip to the gym today quite necessary :P

Mdawg - travel safe!

Cbus - I think 8:45 seems reasonable.  My long MP runs were making me think that I could manage sub-4 off of my HM PR, so it seems reasonable to me that you could make it with more cushion than I would have been able to.

Docket - enjoy the 7!  Hope it's not too disgustingly hot for you.

Flinders - nice intervals!

Nick - nice 10k!  That's a pretty spiffy pace considering you were traipsing through mud puddles.

Sprinkles - nice job on the 8!  I do not envy you trying to find good housing in NYC or any of the surrounding area.  I know how lucky I have it out here in the midwest.  My sister lives in Danbury, CT and the rent on her 1 bedroom apartment is higher than the mortgage on my 3 bedroom townhome.

Amik - glad to see you getting some running in!

So I called the PT today to try to get the running analysis done that she wanted to do, and maybe have her look at my IT band, but my appointment is for three weeks out, oy.  In the spring when I was going regularly for the ankle I could get appointments really quickly, but apparently she is busier now.  She only works 3 days a week, and she is also off for the entire week of the 22nd, so my appointment is 7/30.   I am hoping that by the time I go, I will not have to be asking her about this knee anymore.

Signed up for a fun 5k for 2 weeks from now, mostly because I got an email from Active that if I signed up, I'd get a free pair of Skechers Go Run shoes.  Not sure that I can even run in those shoes, and I will certainly be run/walking the 5K, but pay $30 for a 5K and get a cute tank top, a tote bag, and a snazzy looking $80 pair of shoes?  Not going to pass that one up.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Smashy!!!

Quick in for me during a meeting break...

cbus:  Your HM PR supports an 8:45 GMP.  Go for it and as the others have said, back off if you need to.

More later if I have time...

Now that's dedication! Everyone, look at Mdawg, and learn!

And, oh yeah, thanks for the vote of confidence.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Thanks for the support everyone. Yes, I will go for it. And being such an all or nothing kinda guy, there will be no backing off... none. at. all.

Cmb, I forget if you said this already, but do you foam roll consistently? If so, is it not helping your ITBS at all? As far as the PT appointment, sucks that it's so far out. But can the PT perform Graston? As far as that 5k: maybe, you can sell those Sketchers at a second hand store, and recoup your entry fee.

Hi everyone!

Dental surgery so no running for a few days. (Am I really so old I need false teeth?)

Son ran a good race in his 50k trail race on Saturday, 6hrs10 minutes, tough course. DW got a great shot of him splashing through a river crossing.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Rusk Runner

Simon - Awesome about your son! At least the teeth will be easier to brush!

NND - Good job on the 10K!

Cbus - You are more than capable for 8:45!

Amik - Welcome back, now get out and run!

cmb - LOL!  You could get those shoes in a size 10.5 mens,  I will send you my address.

Jedi - You are a beast!

RVD - LOL!

PT really dug into the calf this afternoon.  Went out and push mowed for an hour ( I was completely soaked when done), and then went out for a 16 mile bike ride.  Time for a rest day tomorrow (rain and 100 deg Heat index forecast).  If anything, I will do about 3 or 4 on the dreadmill very slow.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

cmb4314

Cmb, I forget if you said this already, but do you foam roll consistently? If so, is it not helping your ITBS at all? As far as the PT appointment, sucks that it's so far out. But can the PT perform Graston? As far as that 5k: maybe, you can sell those Sketchers at a second hand store, and recoup your entry fee.

I do foam roll regularly, and it has helped a lot with ITBS prevention, but once I have inflammation, I haven't had it help much with improving my condition.  If I do it too often, I actually end up sorer.   Honestly, I've never really had to actively get rid of it before - I had a bad case in October of 2011, when I also ended up with bad extensor tendinitis in my foot from compensating while running with ITBS, and then a mild case right before I broke my ankle.  In both cases, I had a secondary injury that made it so I really had to take serious time off, and the ITBS went away while that other injury was healing.  So, I'm kind of figuring it out as I go along here.

I'm pretty sure this PT does Graston - if not her specifically, then someone else in that office does because I've seen all the tools.  I am visiting her in particular this time since she still has my case file open from the ankle PT and is billing me for the running eval as if it were part of the ankle rehab, but if I need more PT for the ITBS I won't hesitate to see someone else there.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Nick: Nice race!  I probably would avoid puddles if my shoes were still relatively dry.  But were I soaked, I'd probably power through unless the puddles were more than ankle deep or had deep mud.  Re: the guy pushing a stroller: I had a race like that, but it was a road race (8K, I think it was) with a brutal hill right up to the finish; this guy comes rocketing up the hill pushing twins in a double and blows past me.  I realized that he'd started at the back of the pack with the rest of the walkers and strollers...and had run low-to-mid-6s or so.

Sprinkles:  I hear you with housing; DC is either obscenely expensive, not yet gentrified, or  a 90-minute commute each way.

Ami:  Congrats on the 10!  We want you healthy!

onemile: Yes, these were starting to feel hard.  It was all I could do to hold it together to hit that last one.  Though I thought the 600s felt the hardest so far because there were still a lot of them, and I hadn't done any harder paced stuff other than the 400s the week before since a 5K in early March.

mdawg: checking here during a meeting break is applauded

cmb: Enjoy the 5K!  Meb likes sketchers, so that's something (though he is paid to like them).

Simon: Congrats to your son!

Docket/RV/jedi/indy: Hi!

Me: Ran 3.55 @ 9ish with a friend at lunch, and then did 2500 yards in the pool this evening.  Looking forward to my Hansons' Wednesday of no running (though I might hit the pool again if I feel like it).

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Smashy!!!

My chiro warned me that I'd feel worse after Graston because the Graston induces inflammation to start the healing process. If you think of the foam roller, it's using the same concept as Graston--but with less invasive methods, obviously. So maybe the fact that it feels worse is not such a bad thing. Of course, if the inflammation does not go away with ice, you might take an NSAID, but maybe you need to feel worse to feel better.

I do foam roll regularly, and it has helped a lot with ITBS prevention, but once I have inflammation, I haven't had it help much with improving my condition.  If I do it too often, I actually end up sorer.   Honestly, I've never really had to actively get rid of it before - I had a bad case in October of 2011, when I also ended up with bad extensor tendinitis in my foot from compensating while running with ITBS, and then a mild case right before I broke my ankle.  In both cases, I had a secondary injury that made it so I really had to take serious time off, and the ITBS went away while that other injury was healing.  So, I'm kind of figuring it out as I go along here.

I'm pretty sure this PT does Graston - if not her specifically, then someone else in that office does because I've seen all the tools.  I am visiting her in particular this time since she still has my case file open from the ankle PT and is billing me for the running eval as if it were part of the ankle rehab, but if I need more PT for the ITBS I won't hesitate to see someone else there.

Smashy!!!

Flinders, that story of the double stroller guy is too funny. I agree with you, that there is a trade off with the longer intervals: they're harder but at least there are fewer of them. But there are still 5 sets of the 1k--correct? That's tough. Nice work. And when are you gonna get the Sayonaras? IMO, shoe of the year.

onemile

Got in my first Hansons workout of this cycle. 10 miles with 12x400 @ 5k pace w/400 recoveries.   I thought it went pretty well considering I haven't done any speedwork since April.  But I cheated and went to the indoor track.  50 degrees felt so good after the past few days of heat and humidity.  Interval splits: 7:05, 7:02, 6:58, 6:56, 6:59, 6:53, 6:57, 6:58, 6:55, 6:58, 6:57, 6:56