Sub-4 Marathon Group

July 2013 (Read 44 times)

Smashy!!!

onemile is getting to you, I can tell. Big grin

Actually, I was going to do a 5k a LONG time ago. But when Onemile started making fun of me, I postponed it. Wink

Ami, have a great day at work!

Indi, that trail run sounds like fun!

Paula, I read your daughter's story. Is the fundraising yearround? Or for designated races?

DTF, can you post the link to your charity again? And what charity are you raising funds for?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

cbus - The page is always accessible, but I have officially done 2 fundraisers through the site, for 2 of my past races.  I haven't done one in a couple of years, so it's probably a good time to do it again, especially with this October's MDI marathon, since it's so challenging.  It'll be extra motivation and symbolism.

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Flinders - Nice on the 14.  I didn't realize you were that far into the plan that you were doing LRs of 14 already.   And I guess right now the plan for me is 3:35 which would mean dropping 7:45.   But my plan is also to adjust based on how things go.

This weekend was the end of the fourth full week, the one with the 12 mile LR.  I just tacked on a mile on each end for a warmup and a cooldown.

You might be able to go a bit faster.  FWIW, I dropped about 14 minutes between my full last October and my race in May.  I averaged about 25mpw November-January and just under 40mpw during the 18 weeks leading up to the race.  You've been running quite a bit more volume than I did, too.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Smashy!!!

If you do raise money again for MDI, let us know!

cbus - The page is always accessible, but I have officially done 2 fundraisers through the site, for 2 of my past races.  I haven't done one in a couple of years, so it's probably a good time to do it again, especially with this October's MDI marathon, since it's so challenging.  It'll be extra motivation and symbolism.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Strider24

Run Strider Run!

Flinders knows DC routes, and I just followed his map.  Smile

This part of DC is an enjoyable place to run; although I can see how pace slows down avoiding tourists and crossing traffic!

Strider - cool route in DC - how did you memorize that - a lot of twists and turns - looks fun though !

PR:  47:52 (10K), 1:48:17 (HM), 4:01:42 (FM)

Strider24

Run Strider Run!

The trip is for work, but I get to go to a couple of cities (Campinas near Sao Paulo & further south to Port Alegre).  First time being so far south and I'm jazzed to run while there.  I'll snap pics and share.  On that note, can someone PM me (or post) how to join the FB group we have.  I missed it earlier and it would be easier to share photos via FB (and keep up on that interaction).

Strider - some how I missed that you were going to Brazil.  I'm sooo jealous. I've been wanting to go to S America for some time.  I hope you come back with some photos to share.

PR:  47:52 (10K), 1:48:17 (HM), 4:01:42 (FM)

DetroitTigerFan

This part of DC is an enjoyable place to run; although I can see how pace slows down avoiding tourists and crossing traffic!

Strider - sometimes I wonder about tourists when I go to Vegas - I've noticed how nice and quiet downtown Vegas is in the morning and great for running with lots of runners out.  Although I think the traffic is insane there. I can't imagine running with tourists all around mid day

Paula - cool website - is that a Canadian website and if so does it handle different currencies (US) just curious? The Detroit race is using a company this year called "RaceIt" for fundraising - I think it is the worst run company I've ever seen - I had to close down my fundraising through the site due to it's lameness and very very poor customer service (long story here).  Luckily I found that crowdwise account - looks a lot like your website. I n.eed to read the items on your website

Cbus - this will be my 10th year fundraising for causes - mostly cancer related charities.  The last 2 years and this year are for the American Cancer Society.  I don't like asking runners for money so i've never bugged the donuts for contributions.  I know many of you may be running for your own charities or get asked by fellow runners. Here's my page link though to check out. The pictures are fun - You can see my cool sleeve invention I keep yapping about each fall when it gets cold out - lol   http://www.crowdrise.com/davesfreepressmarathon/fundraiser/davesfreepressmarathon

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

6 miles done.  It was 93F but it soon turned into 74F due to a huge thunderstorm.  I ran faster than usual since the cold weather helped (20F less helps too).  Very happy with my paces this week!

Damaris

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

I live a half-mile from the Capitol, so the Mall is my go-to route for shorter distances. It never get old.  You do get used to the crowds, but there are times they can be annoying (mostly where the paths are constricted because the Park Service doesn't want you on the grass, thus you can't get past a bottleneck). When it gets bad, I tell myself that I am practicing for the crowds at the first mile of a race.

I typically try to run in the morning, because in the before-work hours the only people out are other runners.   But even on weekends, generally things are fine if I can get the bulk of my run in before 10am.  The Mall is nice because it has solid stretches where you don't have to cross streets, which if your other choices are on the neighborhood grids at about 16 blocks to the mile, having to cross a street only every third to half a mile is a nice improvement.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Thanks, Cbus.  That's very thoughtful of you.  I kind of feel the same way as Dave regarding fundraising.  I hate to bug fellow runners, because I figure a lot of us are fundraising for one charity or another.  That being said, I'm not too proud to mention my charity and/or accept a donation.  Smile

Do we have a sub-4 FB group set up?  If so, I'd love to join, too!

Dave, the firstgiving website is U.S. based, though I have had Canadian donors use the site without any problems.  Good luck with your fundraising as well.  It's nice to associate you with a face instead of a cracker jack box too. Wink

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

74 sounds much nicer than 93!

6 miles done.  It was 93F but it soon turned into 74F due to a huge thunderstorm.  I ran faster than usual since the cold weather helped (20F less helps too).  Very happy with my paces this week!

PRs:

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

We do not, although it has been mentioned.  Not sure if everybody here is in FB, though.

Thanks, Cbus.  That's very thoughtful of you.  I kind of feel the same way as Dave regarding fundraising.  I hate to bug fellow runners, because I figure a lot of us are fundraising for one charity or another.  That being said, I'm not too proud to mention my charity and/or accept a donation.  Smile

Do we have a sub-4 FB group set up?  If so, I'd love to join, too!

Dave, the firstgiving website is U.S. based, though I have had Canadian donors use the site without any problems.  Good luck with your fundraising as well.  It's nice to associate you with a face instead of a cracker jack box too. Wink

Damaris

White Lightning

Really long day of work followed by a nice 3 mile run with a one mile tempo in the middle at 7:50.  Still feeling really heavy and I found myself holding in my gut a couple of times

Play the Game Hard!

Rusk Runner

Keep pushing Josh!

Amik and Onemile - I booked a room at the Embassy Suites with a goverment ID card rate of 129.00 (taxes included in the price).  So DW and I will be staying at a hotel which adjoins the start/finish line!  We will only be staying on Friday however.  Its only about a 2 hour drive home.  I called the hotel and they said we could check out late at 1:00PM.  Now I just have to figure out if I am going to do a slow marathon or a fast half, or what.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

onemile

Actually, I was going to do a 5k a LONG time ago. But when Onemile started making fun of me, I postponed it. Wink

I'm still making fun of you. Don't worry.

I think a sub-4 FB group sounds like a good idea.  I'll create one if you guys are interested.