Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

onemile

I run them by effort at what feels easy. I did do mine too fast yesterday (and tuesday) mainly because I was at the indoor track and it makes everything feel easier.  I think Hanson actually said they should be done at the slower end of easy pace.

And I think there is a huge difference between the 12s and 13s. The 13s are much less stiff and feel less bulky.

Morning everyone

onemile - My 13's should be here end of next week.  I have two pairs of 12's i've been rotating one at 350 miles and one at 520 miles.  Excited to see if there is any difference since everyone said brook's screwed up the 12's and the 13's are more like the 11's.

MP Tempo runs and speed work question - How fast should you run your warm-up and cool down laps?  Onemile I noticed you were only running your warmup and cooldown yesterday 30-45 seconds slower, that's why I ask.  I did mine yesterday 90-120 seconds slower

Me - got an easy 5 planned for this afternoon but I feel a bit sore this morning from my run yesterday.  Not my legs, but my entire upper body, like I did a strength training session

Smashy!!!

I don't really expect 8:30 to be my marathon pace.  But I'm sort of hoping I can do a 1:45 HM and if I do that in March, I may shoot for 3:45 at Carmel (which is 8:37 pace I think).  But it's all speculation at this point.  Who knows.

With so much uncertainty surrounding your actual GMP, and knowing the purpose of those Tempo workouts are to increase efficiency, might I suggest doing them at a range of paces, with 8:30 being the lowest and something like 8:47 being the upper? That way, you are getting the efficiency you need at your actual pace as well as your ideal pace. In the section on workout variations for elites in the Hansons book, there are some great workouts that are at a variety of paces. I think one is like the first half of the tempo at GMP and then the second half at a faster pace. You could easily do that at 8:47 and then 8:30. Or you could do a progression run (they call it a Cut Down, for some reason), starting at 8:50 and ending at 8:30.

I think the last thing you want to do is train at 8:30 and then race at 8:37, only because that defeats the purpose of the Tempo workouts.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Josh, +1 to Onemile's comment. The numbers you threw out there also sound good (I think that brings it down to easy pace range, right?). When I did my Speed workout a couple of weeks ago, I did a slow jog to warm things up, and then start doing some strides when I felt ready.  Regarding the cool down, I will also add that you should feel free to run the cool down even as slow as recovery pace. You  might think of the cool down as already getting ready for the next day. I checked my log and for yesterday's tempo run, I did my warm up too fast, mostly because I didn't know how icy the conditions would be. My cool down was more reasonable, but it could have been even slower.

onemile

That's a good idea.  I didn't really look at the elite section because I thought it wouldn't apply to me so I just skipped over it.  My plan is to try to narrow in on what I want my actual MP to be before the strength workouts start.  It says in the book if you do that, then you'll be fine because your goal may change in the first part of training.

With so much uncertainty surrounding your actual GMP, and knowing the purpose of those Tempo workouts are to increase efficiency, might I suggest doing them at a range of paces, with 8:30 being the lowest and something like 8:47 being the upper? That way, you are getting the efficiency you need at your actual pace as well as your ideal pace. In the section on workout variations for elites in the Hansons book, there are some great workouts that are at a variety of paces. I think one is like the first half of the tempo at GMP and then the second half at a faster pace. You could easily do that at 8:47 and then 8:30. Or you could do a progression run (they call it a Cut Down, for some reason), starting at 8:50 and ending at 8:30.

I think the last thing you want to do is train at 8:30 and then race at 8:37, only because that defeats the purpose of the Tempo workouts.

White Lightning

yeah I ran 9:00's and my first warmup mile was 11:20 then mile two about halfway I started to pickup up the pace gradually so as soon as 2 miles hit I was at speed.  But the cool down I had to force myself to slow down.

Play the Game Hard!

Smashy!!!

yeah I ran 9:00's and my first warmup mile was 11:20 then mile two about halfway I started to pickup up the pace gradually so as soon as 2 miles hit I was at speed.  But the cool down I had to force myself to slow down.

One thing I find helps me get my cool down into proper cool down range is to actually walk for a little bit after the last interval, and then start jogging again. That little bit of walking usually brings things under control for me. But yeah it takes a conscious effort to cool down after a vigorous workout.

cmb4314

When you're ready for a new pair, check out the red ones.

http://www.finishline.com/store/product/womens-brooks-adrenaline-gts-13/_/A-9474?productId=prod712946

I just got these. I hope they come out with more colors!  I hate mostly white shoes.

Don't come in my size Angry

I wear a women's 12.  Which means that I can only get the special colors when they do them for Zappos, since none of the other stores that get special colors bother to stock my size in any shoes.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

onemile

Don't come in my size Angry

I wear a women's 12.  Which means that I can only get the special colors when they do them for Zappos, since none of the other stores that get special colors bother to stock my size in any shoes.

When does Zappos usually come out with their special colors?   I need a third pair because both of mine have screws in for winter running.  (I have the lime/white ones and the red ones already and white/blue is my least favorite ever)

Canuck

Good morning gang.  Well, I survived my first Graston!  Actually, given that it was a first appointment, most of the appointment was evaluation, so he only spent about 10-15 mins with the tool (boomerang for those that are familiar) on my left leg - both calf and hamstring and a bit on the PF.  He said we'll do more at my next appointment.  It was painful, but not overly so and definitely very crunchy, so it needs some work. Fortunately I'm a veteran of physio and massage, so I have a pretty high tolerance for that kind of thing.  My SI joint is out of alignment again as well, as I suspected it might be, so next week he's going to adjust that for me in addition to the Graston.  I usually have my physio do that, but since I'm going for Graston anyway, might as well get everything done in one place.  I liked the chiro quite a bit, he seemed very good - the things he was telling me during evaluation were things I'd heard before from my PT and MT.  On a positive note, he said my feet were really good.

Anyway, currently icing my hamstring sitting at work (I keep an ice pack in the freezer here).  I should be able to run tonight I think, nothing is really all that sore.  I was hoping to run this morning, but couldn't drag myself up early enough.  Just an easy 6 on the schedule.

Nice runs everyone.  Hope those of you battling colds/flu etc. feel better soon.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

akalei

Hi, Donuts! Happy Friday.  I got in 6 at lunch, comfortable 8:45 pace.  Considering that it's like 30 degrees out, I didn't expect to sweat as much as I did, but I suppose that's what Ponds wipes and body spray are for Smile  Some guy made my day--I had my gloves in my mouth and my hands on my head trying to re-do my ponytail after the wind knocked it loose, and he applauded me, literally, for "multitasking" as he called it.

cmb: I hope you're not getting the flu, either! It seems to be going around in my building.  While I haven't gotten it yet, I'm crossing my fingers and knocking on every piece of wood within arms reach when I say that.  And I agree on running with it, as long as it's not ungodly cold that it's just going to exacerbate all the problems, I've found that an easy run sort of brings all the gross stuff up and gets it out of your system (and I sure look pretty coughing, heaving, and spitting on those runs). Smile

Sprinkles: Staybridge Suites in Corning looks promising!  I'll keep looking around, though.  I hate when hotels pull the "two nights or bust" for a race.

cbus, this if for you:

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Trail Monster

Okay, I'm taking the leap. I left a message with a Graston/Chiropractor who is on the same road as my massage place. I have a massage booked for Monday morning is I will see about getting my ITB's tortured then as well.

As soon as my older DD gets off the bus I'm headed to the TM for a hill workout and strength. I also signed up for a HM this weekend. I'm scheduled to run 18 miles so I won't be racing. I just prefer to run with people and this half was only $25. So I'll run with the back of the pack, do a 5 mile cool down (or warm up), not have to carry as much water and/or gel, and get a medal for my efforts. Sounds like a great idea to me!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

akalei, that's hilarious.

onemile, I agree with Cbus' suggestions. Worth a shot!

Great runs, everybody.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

cmb4314

When does Zappos usually come out with their special colors?   I need a third pair because both of mine have screws in for winter running.  (I have the lime/white ones and the red ones already and white/blue is my least favorite ever)

I'm not sure.  My log on here indicates that I got my purple/turquoise 11s from Zappos in mid-March of 2011, so I'd guess some time in the Spring.  Zappos was kind of slow to even get the base colors with the 13s this time around.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Ball of Fury

Happy Friday Donuts!

Banshee:  Enjoy the TM workout and the HM!  Pretty soon, we are all going to be doing Graston!

Flinders:  Nice lunch run.  I know they are a bit different than the Connects, but I really love the Flows...have had zero calf pain.

Onemile:  12 miles on the track...that takes dedication...nice pace too!

Docket:  Awesome 9 miles!  Hope your workout goes well tonight.

Sprinkles:  A team workout sounds fun...do you have a running team/coach?

Indy:  Hope you had a nice run this afternoon!  I am actually feeling pretty good today (thanks for asking!) except DH and I have finally caught DDs dreaded cold!  It's not bad, just mostly annoying to be this congested.

MDawg:  How exciting...3 days left!  I hope it goes well.

CMB:  Sorry you are feeling sick...I took 2 days off due to my ITBS and the mild cold, but decided to go ahead and run today.  It was fine except I felt a bit short of breath because my sinuses are so congested.

Roll:  Hope you are feeling better also!

CBus:  Nice 4 miler.  I had shingles on my eye last year...hurt like hell!

Zoe:  At least your feet are great...lol!  Hope the Graston works for you!

Akalei:  Nice 6 miler at a fast pace!

So, as I told Indy, DH and I have caught DDs cold (she has had it for at least 2 weeks so I guess it was inevitable), but it's not too bad yet.  Just nasal congestion and a sore throat in the morning.  I really needed to run today (took 2 days off already this week) so I opted for the gym.  I figured that was better than 30 degrees and windy...and I secretly wondered if it would help me acclimate to the possibly warm temps for next weekends race (although I don't really think so).  Anyway, I did 2 mile warm-up (10:00/mile, 3 miles at GMP (9:05 since on the TM it was either that or 9:13) and a mile cool-down so 6 total.  Felt really good the entire run, with zero aches or pains.  It was  tiny bit harder to breathe than normal because I am congested but otherwise a good run.  Still trying to stretch and foam roll twice a day and go back to chiro Monday afternoon.  I work 12 hours tomorrow and then I have a blissful 16 days off work...I don't think I have been off that long in my entire life, except for maternity leave!  Hope everyone has a great Friday and a great weekend!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

+1 on Onemiles' comments

Grastonites - good luck on you all's recovery.

Bago - i went and bought new dress shoes today, much better.

Onemeile - i agree with Cbus

Akalei - thats awesome, need that for our office. We have a drive by farter and that sign would be perfect with a do not fart under it.

AmiK - vitamin C with some vitamin c and then have some vitamin C, wash it all down with some natural coconut water. Hot tea and honey, vitamin c. Get well soon. but you knew all of that already

Flinders nice run

Drock - nice run

Mdawg - nice win by the way(dogs). good luck on your first run back.

ChefLynn - no donut recipes?

Everyone be safe and wear knuckles lights for those night runs. Hydrate, stretch, run, enjoy, hydrate again.

Thanks fellow Donuts, for the well wishes. I think I am on the back side of this. My bride had it before me and the kids are all better as well. I may venture out this evening for a test run (stir crazy sets in fast). I will be in blue waters and fine dining for the next few days, off to cruise the waters of Mexico. My runs will be logged from 102,00 ton boat, on a half mile topside deck or treadmill over looking deep blue waters.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27