Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Smashy!!!

TFS, I've run some in the Nimbus. Whether its a good shoe or not all depends on what your want in a shoe. Its very flexible and super plush and cushy. It provides cushion with gel, so it's very soft and squishy. .

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Dreamn

Congrats on the PR, Twofoot!

42 miles for me last week.  I've been pretty consistent these last two weeks and it's felt good.  I'm sorry that I took a rest day today considering out beautiful it was outside.

akalei

cbus: exactly what cmb said.  although HBG is my place! (and i'm happy to take anyone who stops along there for a beer at Troeg's)

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats on the PR, Two Foot Shuffle!

Damaris

Smashy!!!

cbus: exactly what cmb said.  although HBG is my place! (and i'm happy to take anyone who stops along there for a beer at Troeg's)

In all fairness, I didn't know you were based in HBG! Now that I know, it's instantly cooler. In all honesty, we were just passing through, so my assessment is based on a stay totaling all of, oh, 2 hours. Big grin

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Forgot to say I finished my 9 with 4 @ HMP without issues and at a good pace, especially considering it was 82F and 70 dewpoint.  Bah!!

Damaris

Trail Monster

Two-Foot, congrats on the PR! That's pretty awesome!

Dreamn, nice miles!

Cbus, you've convinced me. First meeting with a Graston chiro tomorrow morning!

Docket, nice miles!

Ran 18.23 today. DH and I got to WV for the Run To Read HM about 1.5 hours early just so I could run my extra 5 miles before the race. I wanted to run the warm up 5 easy and then leave whatever I had left on the race course. I did just that by setting a new 'official' PR of 2:09:45. Had I tapered, not warmed up 5 miles before the race, and been fresher I think I could have gotten pretty close to 2 hours.

Splits per my Garmin:

1 - 9:11

2 - 8:07

3 - 10:35

(2 & 3 are messed up because we did an out and back through a tunnel. They average 9:21 which is probably close to correct.)

4 - 9:23

5 - 9:39

6 - 10:05

7 - 9:50

8 - 10:04

9 - 10:01

10 - 10:17

11 - 10:34

12 - 9:45

13 - 10:13

Last .23 - 8:27 avg pace

I walked every water stop so that's why (about) every other mile is higher in pace though I definitely started to die after mile 7. Still happy with it overall. Waiting on official placements though the print out indicated I was 12th in my age group.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

White Lightning

Decided to take the day off today to let knee get better.  Insomnia hit last night so its been a couch day all day.  Hoping to be a bit fresher tomorrow.  Still ended up with 36 miles this week with two weeks to go before new cycle.

Play the Game Hard!

bagopux

On pace groups, I agree with what some others have said.  I prefer to run my race rather than someone else's.  I know from experience where on the course I might be a bit slower than my goal pace and where its OK for me to be slightly faster.  This all depends on where in the race I am, the terrain (macro and micro), the weather, etc. at the moment and what's up ahead  Forcing yourself to adjust your pace to a pace group can actually do more harm than good IMHO.    And with the proliferation of GPSs and foot pods, pace groups are losing their utility.  Again, just my 2 cents FWIW.

Canuck

Evening all.  Did my run at 5 pm today as I was watching football earlier (Go Seahawks!).  12 miles at 9:27 pace in 38 degrees and pouring rain.  I was drenched when I got home.  Just under 41 miles for the week as planned.  Start workouts next week with some speed on Tuesday, looking forward to it.

Nice races Two-Foot and Banshee!

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

Rusk Runner

Congrats on the PR's TF and Banshee!

Glad to hear you got your run done Docket.

Good miles Dreamn and Zoe.  FWIW Zoe, I was rooting for the Seahawks.  Next week in Atlanta should be interesting.

Akalei - I went to a wedding in the country area of Harrisburg back in the late nineties.

Finished the week at my prescribed 45 miles.  SRD today, and this week is a cutback week.  Happy Running to All!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Slept only 2 hours, bah!  Court today and lots of meetings, so I'm glad today is an SRD.

Banshee, nice job.

bagopux, I feel the same way about pacers.  I can never run even paces so it's better if I run on my own.

joshlynn, hopefully your knee feels better now.

zoekat, nice 12.

indiana, nice week of running.

I finished my week with 54 miles and very happy about my runs except the day of the allergy shot.

Damaris

mdawg87

Good morning!  0 miles for me last week, but lots of cross training.  Really looking forward to my measly 3 TM miles tomorrow morning.  Hoping my calf has not fooled me into thinking its healed when its really not!  Found a pretty renowned sports chiropractor that's local.   I'm going to contact them today regarding Graston.

Zoe/Indy:  I think Seattle matches up better against Atlanta than Washington.  The Falcons will need to bring it.

Docket:  Glad your run was successful after a not so great start to the day.

Twofoot/Banshee:  Good job on the races!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

cmb4314

Morning!

Two Foot Shuffle, congrats on the PR!

Re: pacers - I have never run with one for a whole race.  I've started with one a few times at HMs, but have consistently broken away from them pretty early.  I've also used them before to figure out where I'd like to be in a race.  If they have them at my upcoming marathon, I might consider it if they plan on running even splits, because the course is FLAT so my strategy is likely going to be to run even splits.

Ran an actually pretty delightful 20 miler yesterday in temperatures hovering right around 20F.  It was really clear and sunny out, and every time I ran into shade I could tell how much that sun was saving my bacon, because I was a perfect temperature in it, then I'd run into the shade and the temperature would drop drastically.  The only problem I have found, after the fact, from running in that weather is the fact that my lips and nose are terribly chapped.  Footing was definitely questionable at times as well, since it hasn't been above freezing since the last snowfall so despite the fact that all the paths were plowed, there has been no melting, and how well they were plowed varied greatly.

All of you talking about running past food smells - I ran past Panera Bread, Leeann Chin (fast food Chinese), a Mexican restaurant, Taco Bell, and then one big intersection where I was within smelling range of Chipotle, Smashburger, Burger King, Outback, and Arby's.  I seem to pass food pretty regularly, particularly this time of year when I need to stick to the bigger roads since the sidewalks there have a better chance of being plowed.  Some days, it makes me want to puke.  Others, it makes me hungry.  Yesterday I was HUNGRY - I think it was Smashburger that was grilling onions and it smelled so. good. at mile 15 when I passed it.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 6 @ 10:23. The Hansons 6 days a week thing is relentless. Reading all of you Pfitzers getting a SRD made me jealous. I just had to make sure today's run was easy, so I made sure my paces were in the 10:00s.

Banshee and TFS, congrats on the PRs!!!

Banshee, I definitely think you have a sub-2 half in you, if you decided to focus exclusively on a half. Are you planning on racing a goal half?

Mdawg and Josh, hang in there through all the injuries! I've been there, and I know it sucks.

Dreamn, nice week.

Zoe, do you do anything special for your shoes when running in the rain? I tried duct taping all the mesh, but that only lasts a few miles before it peels. I also think it's a good idea to move your SRD to the Graston day.

CMB, have you considered getting one of those face masks? Baclava, I think it's called?

Akalei, now all those memories of driving through PA are coming back to me. If memory serves, we originally planned on staying in Philly on the return drive home, but we were so disappointed with the city, we decided to go right through to Pitt. That is why we stopped for lunch in Harrisburg. We stopped at some farmers' market type place that had a bunch of vendors in it. It was a very eclectic place filled with eclectic people. It had a totally different vibe from Pitt and Philly, which surprised me--that is about all I remember: that it was different from Pitt and Philly in a surprising way.