Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Cbus, have you looked at the Mizuno Evo yet?

Damaris

Smashy!!!

Cbus, have you looked at the Mizuno Evo yet?

I have seen the Evo, but I have absolutely no interest in minimal trainers.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

cbus- I wish that were the case but I am 17 years away from 3:40 being good enough. I will need to get down to 3:25. The goal for this Spring is 3:35ish.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Indiana- No worries - I don't think my eating habits are all that related to figure skating - eating disorders are very common with skaters and although i have to cop to dabbling in that world myself, I never really fell victim to it like many young women do.  I was really hypothyroid for awhile, which killed my appetite, and I guess I just never changed my eating routine, or I overestimate how many calories something has.  i also gained 15 lbs when my thyroid issues started, so I ate less to try and make it go down, compounding the problem.  now I at least KNOW what I'm dealing with and that my metabolic rate is back to normal.

My goal times are 3:45 ish marathon, 1;45 ish half marathon.

I typically train at goal half marathon and goal marathon pace when it says to run at goal pace...but i give myself a range between current and goal since its early in the training cycle.  My recovery miles are in the 9:50-10:20 range.

Josh- the machine is a breathing test.  You have to fast and then basically go early in the day to breathe in a tube that measures your oxygen consumption.  i've done VO2 max testing before but its different. The calculators used to be way off for me because my metabolic rate used to be 820 / day (hypothyroid) and now I guess its 1500, which is MORE than the calculators would expect.

Onemile- I am going to enjoy that one rest day then Smile while it lasts...I don't think I'm going to start doing 18/70 at any point in the next 5 years though- i do not have that much time on my hands.

Friend was in town last night so I slept in over running this morning- I'll run tonight probably on the treadmill because its dark as night outside.  i'm planning anywhere between 6-10 easy miles.  Tomorrow is a speedwork session of 9 miles and then 6 Saturday and 10 Sunday.  I'm doing a race with friends but not an all-out effort right before Pfitz starts next Tuesday.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

mdawg87

Thanks for all the good donut vibes everyone!  I will report back tonight or tomorrow on the doctor visit.

Everything does feel better today (because of the Sauconys, I'm sure).  I'm really hoping this is just minor nagging stuff caused by some type of issue up the chain...which the sports doc can find and address.

Indy:  DH's BQ time is a 3:25 too if I'm remembering the age groups correctly.  He laughs at making that cut.  He'll be 45 in February so I think he goes up to 3:35 then?  I'd have to look at the website to be sure.

cbus:  I'm actually quite comfortable in my heels everyday sans injury.  I like wearing them.  Now if I had to stand on my feet all day, that'd be a different story.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I thought you had Mushas.

I have seen the Evo, but I have absolutely no interest in minimal trainers.

Damaris

Smashy!!!

I thought you had Mushas.

I don't have Mushas. I kinda want some. But I wouldn't use them as trainers. They would be racers, probably up to 10K. I'm not sure they're enough shoe for me beyond that distance--nor am I fast enough to benefit from the weight savings.

The Evos are not racers. They are advertised as trainers, a la the Pure line etc.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

cbus - I ran my last marathon in the Musha thinking they be good, but clearly were not or i did not break them in enough. Good shoe for a HM though. i do all my quality runs in the Musha right now. Definitely should of went Precision looking back which is my shoe i love the most, but makes me sad with it going away in favor of Sayonara. Loving the Rider16s though. Sweet ride.

I don't have Mushas. I kinda want some. But I wouldn't use them as trainers. They would be racers, probably up to 10K. I'm not sure they're enough shoe for me beyond that distance--nor am I fast enough to benefit from the weight savings.

The Evos are not racers. They are advertised as trainers, a la the Pure line etc.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

i have no interest in Evo either.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Smashy!!!

cbus - I ran my last marathon in the Musha thinking they be good, but clearly were not or i did not break them in enough. Good shoe for a HM though. i do all my quality runs in the Musha right now. Definitely should of went Precision looking back which is my shoe i love the most, but makes me sad with it going away in favor of Sayonara. Loving the Rider16s though. Sweet ride.

I think much has been made of the Precision going away for the Sayonara. From what I've been told, the Sayonara could have easily been called the Precision 14, but new materials forced a marketing decision to call it something new. Same thing with the Nirvana. The new shoe could easily be called the Nirvana 9.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Needless to say I will try out the Sayonaras.Smile

I think much has been made of the Precision going away for the Sayonara. From what I've been told, the Sayonara could have easily been called the Precision 14, but new materials forced a marketing decision to call it something new. Same thing with the Nirvana. The new shoe could easily be called the Nirvana 9.

Up Next:

???

Rusk Runner

mdawg, I am 48 so your DH is in the same time group as me.  3:25.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

bagopux

I was really hypothyroid for awhile, which killed my appetite, and I guess I just never changed my eating routine, or I overestimate how many calories something has.  i also gained 15 lbs when my thyroid issues started, so I ate less to try and make it go down, compounding the problem.  now I at least KNOW what I'm dealing with and that my metabolic rate is back to normal.

Sprinkles, are you taking meds for your thyroid?  I was diagnosed hypothyroid and started meds a couple of weeks ago.  If you were/are taking meds, I was just wondering how it affected you (if at all) from an athletics standpoint.  Thanks.

mdawg87

Mdawg, is that the sport doc who also does Graston? Re work shoes, are heels mandatory? If not, I think Clark, Merrell, and Bjorn all make great looking orthopedic work shoes.

Forgot to answer your 1st question.  Yes, this sports doc does it all...Graston, ART, etc.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

White Lightning

Zoe – great workout

Jedi - Welcome

Cbus – preachin to the choir. No races here in the middle of winter. The first 10k avaiable is March 16th and i'm already signed up for the first half available March 28th. Still have what, 8 weeks until I get to anything other than easy runs so have some time to decide. But i'll continue those tempo runs throughout.  And no, i'm not going to go out today and run a 10k time trial :-)  But keep in mind I do have a 1:49 HM time trial and a 10k run, not a time trial, that I did in 50:30 and never pushed it.  Those were from last September and October but I'm in much better shape now

Indi – not sure, never really though too much about actually doing it. Maybe i'll go down and talk to them to find out what's invloved. I'm a bit nervous about making my legs move that quick on a TM

Banshee – I was always the person who didn't have to train and practice to be good at anything. I ran track in JR. High and High school but didn't practice with them, just showed up. I was a band geek but we were required to compete in track each spring. I ran the 100, 200, 400, 800 meter's and the triple jump. I remember the day I beat our track star in both the 200 and 400 in grade 10, and I was wearing teva sandles, lol. I seriously just didn't care because I felt like I could already do it. Made divisionals without trying. Everything from baseball, slowpitch, mountain biking, golf, bowling, pool, i've always just been good at it. Even gaining weight, I would still drop people on mountain bike rides or long hikes. So I decided I wanted to run a HM, no biggie right? Truly humbling experience. If I did well, in my mind, then I would have quit just like everything else above with the what's next attitude or why train if I don't have to, but thankfully I did horribly and here I am today.

Sprinkles – I'm real curious, I've been hovering around 172 pounds (goal weight 150) on about 2200 calories a day, burning 500-1000 calories in exercise (I add a bit more calories on those 1000 calorie days). No energy level issues, easily finishing my runs. I seem to have plataued and wonder if I should go up or down.

Nice and warm today with 30 mph winds <sigh> what to do, what to do....

Play the Game Hard!