Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

cmb4314

Afternoon everyone.  my issues with the winter aren't the cold, its the no sunlight that gets real depressing.  We have only 8 hours right now but the summer we hit something like 18-19 hours of sunlight.

I'm concerned about completing my speed work outside this winter so looked at the closest indoor track here, $13 a visit.  I think not, this "cheap" hobby is already expensive enough.  So is doing your speed work on a TM that bad?  Could it be good that you can set the exact pace?

Me - SRD for me.  I wanted to run really bad today but decided against it and try to actually follow my plan for once.  Did an hour of Yoga

I don't find the treadmill that bad for speedwork, but I have to remember to pay a lot of attention to how my body is feeling, whether I think I can sustain that effort for as long as I'd like to, and consciously remind myself that it is okay to slow down if I need to.  Outside, if your body wasn't feeling it that day, you'd slow down naturally.  On the treadmill, it can be easy to convince yourself that you'll be able to do it since the belt is forcing you into it, even when your gut is telling you that you can't sustain that pace.

Also remember that at least at the gym, it is usually quite warm, and the air is stagnant.  It is easily 75 degrees in my gym most of the time.  I often find that I end up with the most appropriate effort if I dial in the speed that I am "supposed" to run, then knock the speed down by .1mph to accomodate for the fact that McMillan paces and the like are meant for ideal temperatures.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

White Lightning

yeah I'd pay $4, shoot I'd pay $8 but not $13.  I'm very frugal :-)

Play the Game Hard!

White Lightning

Also remember that at least at the gym, it is usually quite warm, and the air is stagnant.  It is easily 75 degrees in my gym most of the time.  I often find that I end up with the most appropriate effort if I dial in the speed that I am "supposed" to run, then knock the speed down by .1mph to accomodate for the fact that McMillan paces and the like are meant for ideal temperatures.

My TM is in an exercise room with its own thermostat.  I usually turn it down to about 50 degrees and keep the window cracked with some fans going.  Allows me to go shirtless without scaring the general population

Play the Game Hard!

Smashy!!!

Cmb, welcome back! I hope that PF ain't too bad. When you say, "tearing" that scares me a bit. This might sound random, but are you male or female?--declare thyself!

Josh, I don't have much experience with the ole TM, but I think you're getting pretty good advice here, especially Cmb's advice to be attentive to your body. But I will just add that it's rarely ever a black and white proposition. So there's always gonna be some positives as well as some negatives.

Zoe, hope the PF heals up. Do you think it's related to the tight calves?

Akalei, I think it's easier to be OCD.

Re cold weather, I don't mind cold weather. In fact, I kinda like it. The only thing I don't like is the unsafe ice, especially so called "black ice." oh, and I also don't like the notion of skinning my knee in the cold. Mind you, I've not actually skinned my knee. But just the thought of it makes me shudder. I'd much rather skin my knee in warm weather.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Canuck

Probably is related to the tight calves, pretty much every leg problem I have is!  Something is different recently though and I don't think my calves are any tighter, they've actually been feeling pretty good lately. I'm still going to up the stretching and rolling though.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

Docket_Rocket

Banshee, I was going to say that if you input your last marathon and put a sensible marathon goal, the paces will match what I've been doing so far.  So, like somebody above mentioned (sorry, it's on the previous page), if you're training for one distance, use your most current pace for that one and work from there.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I wanted to ask you a question.  You run in Adidas Adi whatever Boston, right?  I bought them and wonder what do you use them for.  Easy runs?  Tempos? Races?

Probably is related to the tight calves, pretty much every leg problem I have is!  Something is different recently though and I don't think my calves are any tighter, they've actually been feeling pretty good lately. I'm still going to up the stretching and rolling though.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

mdawg87

Afternoon everyone.  my issues with the winter aren't the cold, its the no sunlight that gets real depressing.  We have only 8 hours right now but the summer we hit something like 18-19 hours of sunlight.

I'm concerned about completing my speed work outside this winter so looked at the closest indoor track here, $13 a visit.  I think not, this "cheap" hobby is already expensive enough.  So is doing your speed work on a TM that bad?  Could it be good that you can set the exact pace?

Me - SRD for me.  I wanted to run really bad today but decided against it and try to actually follow my plan for once.  Did an hour of Yoga

I'll add my 2 cents to this discussion.  I did all of my speedwork for Savannah (2011) and Chicago (2012) on the TM.  I also ran my HM PR of 1:45 while training for Chicago.  I think it's a matter of whether you can bear the TM or not.  Some love it, some can tolerate it, and some hate it.  I do agree with paying close attention to form though.  It's easy to get distracted by the TV, other gym members, etc.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

bagopux

Josh, I don't think doing speed work on the TM is necessarily bad, but I know that for me TM is easier than running outside, so if I were doing the bulk of my speed work on the TM, I'd have to crank the pace down a little.  I trained once for a 10k almost exclusively on a TM (due to persistent shin splints that didn't seem to bother me on a TM).  I thought I was in pretty good shape, but on race day I was huffing and puffing at paces that I handled pretty easily on the TM.  If you use a HR monitor, that should help keep your effort where its supposed to be on a TM.

Trail Monster

Banshee, I was going to say that if you input your last marathon and put a sensible marathon goal, the paces will match what I've been doing so far.  So, like somebody above mentioned (sorry, it's on the previous page), if you're training for one distance, use your most current pace for that one and work from there.

Thanks. I put in my 4:33:45 (Garmin time) from Marshall plus a 4:20:00 goal and got paces right around what I've been running. I think I'll split the difference between these and the HM TT and aim for the middle ground.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

cmb4314

Cmb, welcome back! I hope that PF ain't too bad. When you say, "tearing" that scares me a bit. This might sound random, but are you male or female?--declare thyself!

I am a lady.  Thus the sweat under the sports bra that I mentioned earlier today Big grin

I am not so much worried by the "tearing" in my foot.  I'm familiar with it from the last time I had a little bit of PF - when the foot is relaxed at night, it builds up some scar tissue, and then when you step on it in the morning and stretch it out, the scar tissue has to break up a bit.  It feels more like crackling than tearing.  It's not too uncomfortable for me right now, I'm just hoping that I don't make it too much worse.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Docket_Rocket

Well, maybe he thought a guy would want to wear a sports bra?  THey do help with nipple chafing, no? Joking

I am a lady.  Thus the sweat under the sports bra that I mentioned earlier today Big grin

I am not so much worried by the "tearing" in my foot.  I'm familiar with it from the last time I had a little bit of PF - when the foot is relaxed at night, it builds up some scar tissue, and then when you step on it in the morning and stretch it out, the scar tissue has to break up a bit.  It feels more like crackling than tearing.  It's not too uncomfortable for me right now, I'm just hoping that I don't make it too much worse.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

thanks, although I could've done without that last tidbit. Wink I thought as much, but after Onemile-gate, I thought I should verify.

Smashy!!!

Well, maybe he thought a guy would want to wear a sports bra?  THey do help with nipple chafing, no? Joking

When Chuck Norris wears a sports bra, the sports bra feels supported...

(okay, be honest, who loves my CN jokes?)

Smashy!!!

Have you considered Graston?