Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

mdawg87

3 more TM miles this morning...whee!  Again, they were at a blistering fast pace of 11 minute miles, but there was even less pain and stiffness this time.  Progress!  Sports doc visit went well yesterday with some more Graston and ART further down the leg in the ankle area and on the bottom of the foot.  Not comfortable at all, but seems to be yielding results.  Running again Thursday morning before my appointment that afternoon.  I'm hoping one more week and I'll be done with needing to see them.  That's their goal for me as well.  I think I will go back for periodic check ins a couple of times a year anyway.  Just to make sure everything's in order.

Fitting in other workouts:  I have one day where it's a double workout day so I can get some strength training in.  I'll also take two of the shorter run days and work in abs or strength training before the run.  My goal is to strength train twice a week and do abs once a week.

Amik:  One thing I'll say about being lean and mean...it's at least 50% diet if not more.  A great saying from my figure/fitness competition days was "abs are built in the kitchen".  That is so true.  Most of us aren't meant to have a six pack.  It usually requires abnormally low body fat that's reserved for the genetic lottery winners.  I'm not sure if that's your goal, but I just wanted to throw it out there.  FWIW...based on your avatars, I think you look great!

Banshee:  Oh no!  I hope you're feeling better this morning.  At least the pain is temporary and improvement for the ITB is coming.

Docket:  I'm more of a pancake girl, but french toast is a close second.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

cmb4314

Morning!  Avoiding all things outside again today, so I'm headed to the treadmill after work for some intervals.  I stepped out of my car at work today and the wind literally took my breath away, so there is no way I'm spending any time out there by choice.

There is a part of me that would love to do P90X and the like, and I really should do more strengthening workouts, but by the time I run and do all the stuff I need to do around the house every day, I just lose my motivation.

Banshee - hope you feel a bit better today!

Roll and Nachos - nice job on the easy runs!

Jedi - nice job getting out there in the cold!  I have never tried doing my warmup/cooldown for treadmill intervals outside, because I don't feel like changing my running clothes that many times.

Damaris - good luck with the 13!  I covet your french toast.

Onemile - good luck with the intervals!

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

akalei

Good morning, Donuts!  5-6 on the TM this evening and I'm not looking forward to it at all.  I need one of those fancy masks so I can run outside in this bitter cold Smile  Bless all you people further north than me who do this all the time!  Also, pup had his own distance PR on Sunday--12 miles!  And as soon as we got home, he grabbed his stuffed moose and was ready to play.  I wish I had his energy.  Wondering what I'll max him out at... I'm sure he could build up to 20 miles when I train for Wineglass, but not sure I want him to.  Then he won't get tired after 6 ever again.

mdawg: glad to hear you're progresing and experiencing less pain... always a good thing!

Banshee: Hope you're feeling better.  Also, I finally got to read your blog from the dog incident--scary!  I was telling DH about it on our 12 miler Sunday.

Docket: mmm... french toast.  I haven't had that in forever.

cmb: I hear you on the wind today.  I think if it were just cold, it might be tolerable, but the wind made me cough like crazy just because it was so harsh on my lungs!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

AmiK- I agree with Mdawg about leaning out.  I've always been able to sneeze and get a 4-pack - my upper body is exceedingly lean on its own- I don't even have to lift in order to look toned.  Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for my backside, which requires discipline in the kitchen more than it requires exercise.  Smile

Me today- Supposed to run this morning but it was snowing sideways and it took too much persuasion to get the dog to pee outdoors, so i would have been late to work had I run.  I am going to run after work instead, probably on the treadmill...I'm dreading 8 miles on that thing, but hopefully somethign decent will be on TV.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Today was the day I needed a Balaclava. It was 9 degrees outside, and with the wind, it felt like -15. Since I didn't have a mask, I used my face to block the wind/cold. When my toes started going numb, I decided to shorten up the wu, so that I could do my intervals in a portion of the bike trail that was sheltered somewhat from the wind. Today was 8X600 (.38 on Garmin). I ran them harder this time, and averaged 7:07. So, with wu/cd, that's 7.26 mi total. Tomorrow's a SRD, and I'm glad, as it's going to be cold again.

Banshee, if you suspect a stress fracture, then I think you should see a doc right away. If it's a stress fracture, then cutting down to 10-15 mpw isn't going to do a thing. But if you can run 10-15 mpw, then I suspect it's not a stress fracture, which is a good thing.

Jedi, yeah, those elite variations are pretty cool. I'm definitely going to use some of those Tempo variations. I also want to do that Bread and Butter workout.

Mdawg, it sounds like the chiro is getting down to the original injury. That's good. I'm glad it's working. Here's hoping for a great run on Thurs.

Happy running all!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Jedi,

I just read your post over on the Gear forum that Mizuno's discontinuing the Elixir. Where did you read that? Can you post a link?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

Hey all,

Today was the day I needed a Balaclava. It was 9 degrees outside, and with the wind, it felt like -15. Since I didn't have a mask, I used my face to block the wind/cold. When my toes started going numb, I decided to shorten up the wu, so that I could do my intervals in a portion of the bike trail that was sheltered somewhat from the wind. Today was 8X600 (.38 on Garmin). I ran them harder this time, and averaged 7:07. So, with wu/cd, that's 7.26 mi total. Tomorrow's a SRD, and I'm glad, as it's going to be cold again.

Pretty BA.  Chuck Norris would have been proud.  Cool

Nice pace on the intervals!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Saw it on FB post for Mizuno NA. it was comment from someone and not Mizuno specifically. Might just be a rumor though. That would piss off a lot of folks and maybe start a petition to save it like the Brooks Launch did.Smile

Jedi,

I just read your post over on the Gear forum that Mizuno's discontinuing the Elixir. Where did you read that? Can you post a link?

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

cbus - think that will definitely be way I go leading up to my hlaf. Kicking around idea of buying 5k plan to do before i jump back into marathon training as I'll have 12 weeks before I start my cycle when Daniels plan ends May 5th. I really like the cutdown run though and tempo with half at MP and last half at HMP.

Jedi, yeah, those elite variations are pretty cool. I'm definitely going to use some of those Tempo variations. I also want to do that Bread and Butter workout. 

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Am I the only Higdon-ite left in this group?

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

cmb4314

I used Higdon Novice 1 for my first marathon (I do not want to relive that one, lol), and his intermediate HM plan for my first sub-2 HM, but I haven't been back to his plans since.  No particular reason - I've just wanted to change it up.

I did a modified version of a plan from Glover's book (The Competitive Runner's Handbook) for my last marathon.  Decided to try Pfitz for this one, and I've really liked some aspects of it, most significantly the 11-14 mile MLR in the middle of the week, which I think has helped make my long runs easier.

Looking back at the Higdon plans, I think it would be interesting to try one again.  Maybe with some changes, since even the Advanced plans have a lot of 3-4 mile runs, which at this point seem really short.  Running all the LRs the day after a MP run would be something I haven't really done before.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

braycon

Thanks everyone for the kind words and kudos regarding the marathon time - it's much appreciated!

I'm impressed with anyone willing to run outside today.  I live in Cbus's neck of the woods here in Central Ohio and I'll be going to the gym and running on the dreadmill this afternoon.   I have no interest in trying to knife through the wind and negative windchill.  I didn't like walking from the car into work this morning, which is about 20 yards.  Sigh.  I detest cold weather and the older I get, the more I hate it.

In any case, I'm slowly working back to mileage post-Disney, so probably 6 or so tonight and an average pace. 

Rollcast, I abandon Higdon this year for what turned out to be an odd combination of Pfitzinger and Hanson (I switched plans about halfway through my marathon buildup last fall).  As an aside, I found Hanson easier to follow than Pfitz - particularly in terms of pacing - but every bit as challenging with almost identical weekly mileage.  At least it was easier for me to remember what I was supposed to be doing.  Anyway, I can honestly say if it weren't for the Higdon plans, I probably wouldn't be running marathons at all.  That's where I got my start (I've read "Marathon" about a dozen times) and I even enjoyed reading the notes he provides for each day for the plans on-line.  It was (sort of) like having a personal coach.

Oh, and french toast sounds fabulous!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Last time I heard a rumor, they took away the Precisions, so....

To me, it would be stupid.  It's their best shoe.  Seriously.  Unless they are going to give us a better best shoe.

Saw it on FB post for Mizuno NA. it was comment from someone and not Mizuno specifically. Might just be a rumor though. That would piss off a lot of folks and maybe start a petition to save it like the Brooks Launch did.Smile

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

As you can tell from my picture, I only run marathons in Elixirs....haha.

Damaris

onemile

I used Higdon Intermediate II with about 5 extra mpw for my first.  I liked it and felt well prepared.  I wanted a plan with some speedwork this time, thus using Hansons.