Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

nachosgrande

Am I the only Higdon-ite left in this group?

Nope.  I just printed out the Higdon Intermediate 1 marathon plan the other day and I'm going to use it to build base. It's starts off pretty low mileage and skips speed workouts so I feel comfortable jumping right in.  I used Higdon Novice 2 in the winter/spring last year to build base and train for my first HM, and then jumped into Pfitz for my marathon training.

Agree with Mdawg on the bodybuilding discussion.  It's something like 80% diet, 20% physical effort.  I stayed fit playing basketball and baseball through high school and college but I never came close to having a six-pack.  Heck, I wasn't sure if I even had these mysterious abs that were purportedly somewhere under my gut.  It wasn't until my late 20's when I got serious about my diet (counting/cutting calories, no processed starches, eating chicken breast and broccoli for breakfast, etc) and combined that with a consistent and intense weightlifting and cardio regimen that I started to look lean/cut.  I worked my butt off for about a year and I finally had that buff/ripped six-pack physique.  It was such a drain physically and mentally, and the diet was so restrictive that I was only able to stay in that kind of shape for a couple of months before I slid back into the more comfortable weight/physique that my genetic makeup seemed to dictate.  My Dad was the same way - great athlete, super quick, star baseball and basketball player, but he's never seen his abs.  He said his teammates used to razz him because of his love handles.  For some of us, it's just not in the genes.  Smile

Canuck

Morning all.  I have speed work on the schedule today, 6 x 800 with 400 recoveries plus w/u and c/d.  I think I will run them outside this evening, it isn't too hard to keep track of 0.5 and 0.25 intervals on the Garmin and the gym is just too darn hot.  I'll need to make sure I get in a solid warm-up first, my left calf has been tight since my last Graston treatment, which is not the way it is supposed to work!  I'll have to talk to him about that at my next session - not scheduled until next week.  I did schedule a massage though for my SRD tomorrow, so she can work on my calf.

Braycon - welcome back and congratulations on the sub-4.  Given how warm it was, plus the GI issues, you'll be up for a big PR on your next one if you can find a nice cool race.

Banshee - make sure to ice as much as possible, that sounds painful.  Hopefully it will help get rid of the underlying problems though.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

i used Higdon Int II for my first. Good plan for that and got me to start line healthy nd felt prepared for race.

Am I the only Higdon-ite left in this group?

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

good to know guys and gals. I am planning on using HH Int II lter this year but noone here has mentioned much about it. Not sure i am ready for some of the aspects of Pfitz or Hansons. Still trying to get to the start line.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

mdawg87

Agree with Mdawg on the bodybuilding discussion.  It's something like 80% diet, 20% physical effort.  I stayed fit playing basketball and baseball through high school and college but I never came close to having a six-pack.  Heck, I wasn't sure if I even had these mysterious abs that were purportedly somewhere under my gut.  It wasn't until my late 20's when I got serious about my diet (counting/cutting calories, no processed starches, eating chicken breast and broccoli for breakfast, etc) and combined that with a consistent and intense weightlifting and cardio regimen that I started to look lean/cut.  I worked my butt off for about a year and I finally had that buff/ripped six-pack physique.  It was such a drain physically and mentally, and the diet was so restrictive that I was only able to stay in that kind of shape for a couple of months before I slid back into the more comfortable weight/physique that my genetic makeup seemed to dictate.  My Dad was the same way - great athlete, super quick, star baseball and basketball player, but he's never seen his abs.  He said his teammates used to razz him because of his love handles.  For some of us, it's just not in the genes.  Smile

Nachos, I have so been there!  Once I left that lifestyle, I realized I was so tired because I wasn't eating enough!  Plus you have no life and it's difficult to enjoy anything involving food (going out, holidays, etc.).  My wake up call really came when we were on vacation with friends. I was b#tchy (because I was hungry) and they turned to me and said "shut up and go eat a carb".  I love them even more because of it!  Like you, I had the six pack and the vascularity, but I couldn't maintain the look either...nor was it really attractive in hindsight.  I was way too skinny.  Based on her earlier post, I'm in the same boat as Sprinkles...leaner upper body vs. backside!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

Banshee:  Hope you are feeling better today!

Rollcast:  Nice 7.  I did a modified version of HH Int-2 for the marathon and it's a solid plan.  I did replace the 3 and 4 milers with 5, 6 and 7 though.

Nachos:  I have been there with the broccoli for breakfast, logging all my food, etc....it is such a drain!

Jedi:  Sounds like you had a great workout...very brave of you to run to the gym.

Docket:  Enjoy the 13.  Am I the only one who doesn't like french toast?

Onemile:  Hope you enjoy your track workout.  I wish we had an indoor track around here.

MDawg:  So glad you are getting back into running.  As far the lean/mean discussion, I am not really look to lose weight, per se, but last summer, I was about 5 lbs lighter and had much better abs (maybe a 2 pack, with some good obliques).  I have too much excess skin to ever have a six pack without surgery!  Anyway, I just want to really get back my upper body strength and stop making as many bad food choices (mostly booze!).  I totally agree it's much more diet and genetics than exercise.

Cmb:  Enjoy your TM

Akalei:  Congrats to the pup and I hear you on the TM...I really hate that thing!

Sprinkles:  Thanks for the advice.  I have a pretty lean upper body and good legs, but I tend to put on weight right around my abdomen so just looking to lean that out a bit.  I have some really cute shorts from last summer that don't fit anymore.

CBus:  You brave, brave soul...nice job!

Zoe:  GL with your intervals and enjoy your massage tomorrow.

I, like many of you, wimped out on the cold and went to the gym this morning.  My Hanson book should arrive today so I can make a plan, but today I just wanted to do something fun.  So, I did a mile warm-up, then a ladder type workout where I did a mile at GHMP (8/mile), 0.5 mile at 10K pace, and 0.25 mile at 5 K pace and then repeated backwards.  Then did a mile cool-down.  All together, with recoveries, it was around 6.5 miles and just fun.  I forgot how much fun it was to run faster!  No pain in ITB at all so that was nice too.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Rollcast:  Nice 7.  I did a modified version of HH Int-2 for the marathon and it's a solid plan.  I did replace the 3 and 4 milers with 5, 6 and 7 though.

Thats what i have in mind as well.

Cbus - instead of using your face to block the wind just blow the wind back as you run into it, ChuckNorris has a youtube tutorial in this,

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

But you better like donuts!

Banshee:  Hope you are feeling better today!

Nachos:  I have been there with the broccoli for breakfast, logging all my food, etc....it is such a drain!

Jedi:  Sounds like you had a great workout...very brave of you to run to the gym.

Docket:  Enjoy the 13.  Am I the only one who doesn't like french toast?

Onemile:  Hope you enjoy your track workout.  I wish we had an indoor track around here.

MDawg:  So glad you are getting back into running.  As far the lean/mean discussion, I am not really look to lose weight, per se, but last summer, I was about 5 lbs lighter and had much better abs (maybe a 2 pack, with some good obliques).  I have too much excess skin to ever have a six pack without surgery!  Anyway, I just want to really get back my upper body strength and stop making as many bad food choices (mostly booze!).  I totally agree it's much more diet and genetics than exercise.

Cmb:  Enjoy your TM

Akalei:  Congrats to the pup and I hear you on the TM...I really hate that thing!

Sprinkles:  Thanks for the advice.  I have a pretty lean upper body and good legs, but I tend to put on weight right around my abdomen so just looking to lean that out a bit.  I have some really cute shorts from last summer that don't fit anymore.

CBus:  You brave, brave soul...nice job!

Zoe:  GL with your intervals and enjoy your massage tomorrow.

I, like many of you, wimped out on the cold and went to the gym this morning.  My Hanson book should arrive today so I can make a plan, but today I just wanted to do something fun.  So, I did a mile warm-up, then a ladder type workout where I did a mile at GHMP (8/mile), 0.5 mile at 10K pace, and 0.25 mile at 5 K pace and then repeated backwards.  Then did a mile cool-down.  All together, with recoveries, it was around 6.5 miles and just fun.  I forgot how much fun it was to run faster!  No pain in ITB at all so that was nice too.

Damaris

TriciaRuns

Hey guys!  I just had a few minutes to check in.  I ran 5 miles at 9:42 pace this AM.  It was 17 and somehow snowing.  It could be worse from what you guys have said!  Tomorrow is my MLR and I am doing 11.  It is higher than what the plan calls for but I have been training with a group of friends for a Half we are all doing on February 23rd.  It's their long run and my MLR so it works out perfect for me.

I'll try to come back later for personals.  Kiddos are home from school today so my time is a little scattered today.

-Tricia

PRs

26:32 - 5k

53:16 - 10k

1:58:47 - HM

White Lightning

Congrats to those that braved the cold and wind.  I'm only at 10F right now but thankfully the wind finally died down.  8 miles with 4 at lactate threshold.  Splits were 8:00, 8:05, 8:07 and 8:09.  First two slight downhill and second two slight uphill, very happy with that run with the entire 8 averaging at 9:07.  In fact, kind of surprised myself, had some juice to keep going, HR right in the range that Pfitz recomends.  Just so freezing cold, still shaking as I type this.  Over this winter running bulls%$t.  Will catch up after I thaw out

Play the Game Hard!

Smashy!!!

So I caved, and ordered a Balaclava from Running Warehouse. After a discount, it came out to just under $17--not bad I suppose. We'll see how often it gets used.

Regarding the six pack. I'm curvalicious, and eat to maintain my shape. It's hard work. I have to scarf chips, ice cream, pie, and of course donuts to keep my thunder thighs and big booty. But such is life.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

cmb4314

Over this winter running bulls%$t. 

Me too.  I realized how warped my sense of weather was getting when I looked at the forecast for Sunday, saw a high of 31, and thought "Oh yay, it will be warm for my long run".  Lord help me Joking

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Me too.  I realized how warped my sense of weather was getting when I looked at the forecast for Sunday, saw a high of 31, and thought "Oh yay, it will be warm for my long run".  Lord help me Joking

Yeah, 31 would render Houston useless until it thawed out.

nachosgrande

Decided to suck it up and brave the elements (78 and sunny) and run the hills of del mar overlooking the pacific ocean.  Big grin  4 hilly miles at 8:51/mi.

Ball of Fury

You poor, poor thing!

Decided to suck it up and brave the elements (78 and sunny) and run the hills of del mar overlooking the pacific ocean.  Big grin  4 hilly miles at 8:51/mi.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15