runnit

What is everyone training for? (Read 272 times)

shelfoo

16k Trail race on Aug 25th, and a half marathon on Sep 29.

Then I just plan to run my age (38) on my birthday on Oct 7, we'll see if that actually happens or not.

Stoked for the trail race, no real time goal, think I can do 1:45 or so.

Half Mary I'm planning to break 1:55.

freddie.sanchez

The Scrub

Half Mary I'm planning to break 1:55.

Good luck. What training plan are you using? Right now I'm really enjoying the Ryan Hall half training plan for my half marathon on Sept 2nd. I want to break 1:50.

Then I just plan to run my age (38) on my birthday on Oct 7, we'll see if that actually happens or not.

Have you done this before? I was thinking of giving it a shot this year. It'll be 27 for me, in September. 38 would be really impressive.

shelfoo

@deds_the_scrub - I'm using a plan I came up with more or less from http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1612485;search_string=runtraining;#1612485 (The Program) - that brought me up to a 50-60k base mileage (though I've been bouncing around lately). My normal weekly goals are 2-3 easy/recovery runs (6-8k), 1 medium/tempo run (10-14k), 1 hard run (mile repeats), and a "long" run. The long run hasn't been terribly long lately as I've been concentrating more on trails than on the tempo or the long runs. This week has been bad, but whatever, next week I'm camping and will have allllll kinds of time to run.

I generally do HR based training vs pace based, easy's are < 70% HR, mediums are around 75%, and hards peak at close to 90%. Seems to be working for me.

@ellithoe - nope, haven't done it before, and that distance is well above what I've attempted in the past. There's a likelyhood I'll hurt myself, but, my season/races are done so I haven't paid for anything after that point, so worst case I take a few weeks off to recover and start base training again.

mapfe

@deds_the_scrub - I'm using a plan I came up with more or less from http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1612485;search_string=runtraining;#1612485 (The Program) - that brought me up to a 50-60k base mileage (though I've been bouncing around lately). My normal weekly goals are 2-3 easy/recovery runs (6-8k), 1 medium/tempo run (10-14k), 1 hard run (mile repeats), and a "long" run. The long run hasn't been terribly long lately as I've been concentrating more on trails than on the tempo or the long runs. This week has been bad, but whatever, next week I'm camping and will have allllll kinds of time to run.

I generally do HR based training vs pace based, easy's are < 70% HR, mediums are around 75%, and hards peak at close to 90%. Seems to be working for me.

@ellithoe - nope, haven't done it before, and that distance is well above what I've attempted in the past. There's a likelyhood I'll hurt myself, but, my season/races are done so I haven't paid for anything after that point, so worst case I take a few weeks off to recover and start base training again.

How'd you determine max hr? I've seen many different recommendations. I was thinking about doing like 3 or 4 hard hill repeats, then pound one 100%.

2014 Goals

Don't die

shelfoo

How'd you determine max hr? I've seen many different recommendations. I was thinking about doing like 3 or 4 hard hill repeats, then pound one 100%.

I used the various formulas that are supposed to be pretty inaccurate - but they seem to work for me. I can tell when it's easy because I can breathe through my nose with no issues, and I haven't passed the projected max for me when I'm working really hard (the third mile repeat is killer right now). So it "feels" about right.

I have heard/read that the best way is to do exactly what you're saying. Sprint the hills. Until you fall down. That's pretty close to your max heart rate Smile

mapfe

I used the various formulas that are supposed to be pretty inaccurate - but they seem to work for me. I can tell when it's easy because I can breathe through my nose with no issues, and I haven't passed the projected max for me when I'm working really hard (the third mile repeat is killer right now). So it "feels" about right.

I have heard/read that the best way is to do exactly what you're saying. Sprint the hills. Until you fall down. That's pretty close to your max heart rate Smile

I was thinking about using this guide for HR training: Pfitzinger.

You don't run as a % of maxHR, you run as a percentage of "heart rate reserve," which is some formula based off max and resting.

2014 Goals

Don't die