Run Walk Training

Welcome! (Read 539 times)

psycrunner

I've been using the Galloway method to get in better shape for just over a year. I'm always looking for others who have found this training method to be beneficial to them. I'm certainly not an expert, just thought there might be others out there who would be interested in getting connected to other run-walk folks. Tell us who you are! Happy training!
    Carol
      I'm actually using the Galloway method to trail for 5-miler on Memorial Day weekend. So far so good Smile Kimmer
      My goal in life is to be as happy as I possibly can. - Me
      psycrunner

Hey Kimmer! I started using Galloway to train for the Chicago Marathon last year and have been using it again to train for the Country Music half marathon at the end of April. I sure wouldn't be running at all if it weren't for the run/walk philosophy, although I still need to work on building speed. Had you ever run before you started Galloway? Let me know how the training goes for Memorial Day!
        Carol
          No, I started running in August of last year and this is my first race. I'm not very fast (15:00/mile), so I need to build up speed too, eventually. Right now, I'm just glad I'm out there running Smile Kimmer
            Hi Carol, I think I found your run/walk group....laughing...I guess I can find my way around on here after all. I see where you used the Galloway method...run/walk for the Chicago marathon....how did you do in it? I'm training for the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon/Half Marathon. This year I will be doing the half. The run/walk theory was just introduced to and I have already seen an improvement in my 5 mile time.
            Run Steady....Run Safe http://aggiesoles.blogspot.com/
            psycrunner

Randy-- I'm so glad you found us! I have spent a lot of time "looking around" on the RA website--probably my boss would say I spend too much time! Big grin I did use the Galloway method for the Chicago Marathon. Unfortunately, I did not follow the program very well and did a lot of other things wrong during the very steep learning curve that was my first year of running! As a result of many things, I only finished 17 miles of the Chicago, but that was the longest I'd ever run (my longest pre-marathon run was 13 miles...). So, disappointed, but lots of lessons learned. My new plan for this year has been to actually follow the training program (what a novel concept!). I have been pretty good and believe I am ready for the Country Music Half Marathon at the end of the month. I did a 12 mile long run 2 weeks ago and have a 15 miler scheduled for Monday (we are on Easter break here). It will be a slow 13.1 miles in Nashville, but I'm pretty sure I'll finish it. I'm thinking about changing my training after the HM and starting to work on speed, rather than distance. I've still got some weight to lose (have dropped about 115 pounds over the last two years) and am thinking if I work harder over a shorter period of time, it might kick my metabolism up another notch. As you can see, I engage in a lot of trail and error trying to figure all this stuff out! Sounds like you are training pretty well....what do you think about the whole run/walk theory? I've seen some pretty negative stuff about it on a couple of other sites (never on RA, tho, people here are always very positive), but I know I wouldn't be running without it! Have a great weekend!
              Carol
                I've only restarted to run since October of last year. My younger brother ran in and finished the Houston Marathon in January of this year and being there for him and seeing him finish as well as running with him for about 6.5 miles was what really got me re-commited to running again. I've been erratic in my training as well and as I had previously mentioned have only recently been introduced to the Galloway system (run/walk). I believe I had heard my brother talk about it before but had not been listening as well as I should have. It certainly seems like a good way for an older guy to follow. Go to my blog site when you have a chance and read what I've written there and what I've done, the site is http://www.aggiesoles.blogspot.com/ not sure how to make a link of it here. I"m such a goof with some computer things. Anyway, running is fun for me and I'm glad that I've rediscovered it. I ran on a regular basis over 20 years ago but never competitively. I wouldn't call my pace competitive either, but at least I'm trying. The 9th of April will be my 2 year annivesary from my quadruple bypass surgery and the half marathon on April 29th will be the true celebration of my recovery. But it won't end there, I am looking ahead to the future to find another half for this year and I'm trying to decide on a full for next year. Maybe the Houston Marathon in January and if not that one then the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon in April. For you to have lost that much weight and to start running is a real inspiration to many. That is so great Carol. Keep up the great work.
                  Hi Kimmy, Isn't it great to run. We are glad you are running too and time really truly isn't the big thing here. The real factor is the fact that you've put your feet down firmly and started to move. There are so many others that won't even try. 15:00/mile is great and you can improve on that if you want, especially with this run/walk concept. I've only tried it twice but have already shaved a full minute off my previous 5 mile best run. Stay with it. Randy
                    OOPS!!!! Kim, I thought your nick was Kimmy and I just realized it is Kimmer. Please accept my apologies. I'm a race nut at times too...though I favor Jimmy Johnson (48). Randy
                      Had you ever run before you started Galloway?
                      Nope - I started running in August of '06 and I just did my first 4-miler doing 4min run/1min walk. I did great! Kimmer
                        OOPS!!!! Kim, I thought your nick was Kimmy and I just realized it is Kimmer. Please accept my apologies. I'm a race nut at times too...though I favor Jimmy Johnson (48). Randy
                        Not a problem, Randy! My friends call me Kimmy anyway. I'm not sure I can get over you being a Jimmy fan, though. He's my ARCH-NEMESIS Smile (Though, I have to admit he's a good driver - and you could be worse: a Gordon fan!) Yeah, I'm pretty excited about my progress especially after this past weekend. I did 4.23 miles, running at about 13:20/mile. I'm much faster outside then on the treadmill, oddly enough Smile Yay me!
                          The computer says we now have 4 members in the forum...I wonder who the fourth is?
                            Ah-ha....I looked at Stats and found out it was someone named Babs....well hello Babs and welcome. We are glad to have you in the group. Randy
                            Shenetter

I'm a new runner. I haven't ran a mile yet. I'm working on it. Trying 2 build my endurance. What is Galloway Method?