Senior Grand Masters-60 and Older

Does Walking Count? (Read 25 times)

Greyslog

Concerning over training injuries, does walking count?

I am 69 and returned to slow running a few weeks ago after decades away from it.  I am trying not to make the mistake of "Too's" by doing too much too soon.  I had somewhat of a base as I was doing a good deal of hiking and swimming before, so I felt I could get away with a faster start than someone starting out with no background.

I have gone from alternating walking and running to where I am now doing 4 mile runs 6 days a week.  This took 3 weeks.  I think the mileage is high enough now that I may have to be careful about progressing too fast but I feel a lot of energy at the end and want to go farther.

Next week I can use the 10% rule and go to about 4.5 miles but I am wondering, if I still want more at the end of my run can I walk more distance and not have it count toward over doing it?

My over use injuries in the past were very frustrating because I hated to loose the time while recovering so I want to be careful but I am really impatient.

I am going really, really slow so maybe I should just go faster but it is the time I spend running that I really enjoy and I hate to cut that down.

Quickadder

Welcome Greyslog! This forum is little used and the 60+ crowd hangs out with the youngsters in the Masters Forum, where you will get many more useful answers to your questions.

Everyone seems to be different in their running and injury thresholds. Personally, I found that I need to take more recovery days so I usually only run 3 or 4 days per week. On the other hand I will happily extend a run if I feeling good. I also mix up my runs so some are slow and easy, others much faster and some on technically challenging trails.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Upcoming race: Four on the 4th 7/4/24 maybe.

Greyslog

Thanks Quickadder, I will check out the Masters section.

gsaun039

Caffeine-fueled Runner

Keep in mind that walking works muscles, ligaments and tendons differently than running (though some of the same stresses apply).  It depends upon how stressing the walking is (as in how fast, etc.).  There is no easy rule of thumb.

PR's--- 5K  24:11,   10K  49:40,   10-Mile  1:26:02,  HM  1:56:03,   Marathon  4:16:17

Maniac #11112, Fanatic #14276, Double Agent #2335

sluggo

John

Count for what? At 68, I figure every step forward, or back, counts.

However, I am also in the 2019 - 2019 game where I can only enter running in my running log, so that is the way I will count runs in 2019.

However, again, one can create a Walking Activity and that logs miles somewhere and I will be using this option too.

Concerning over training injuries, does walking count?

John
            www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"