Senior Grand Masters-60 and Older

How do you warm up for a 5k? (Read 103 times)

I have no idea whether as older runners we need to do more or less warming up for a short race- perhaps you can tell me what you have found works for you. I should explain I have only done three 5k races in my life but plan a couple this year.

I rarely stretch after runs but feel I should do a good warmup and stretch before a 5k so as to avoid pulling a hamstring. My feeling is that our muscles are tighter at our age and more likely to get pulled by fast running, is this so or am I worrying unnecessarily?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

#artbydmcbride

I have seen a distinct improvement by warming up well before a 5k.  No stretching (unless you count leg swings as stretching)  

I like to jog over the course backwards for a mile or so and check out the layout too.  This way I see the distance from the last turn, any hills etc.  This helps me time my final kick  (I'm not fast but I have a kick at the end!)  Big grin

I finish up with some 5 second bursts of speed , and hopping up and down right before the start horn goes off.

Runners run

old-runner

I should probably stretch and warm-up more but I race every week and it hasn't hurt me yet. I'll jog a little warm-up run before a race, sometimes maybe a mile but usually less. By the time I get to the starting line and have to wait for the race to start it seems like the warm-up didn't do much good, if any. Then after the race I rarely do anything other than just go around and talk with people so no stretching or cooling down for me, although I know some people who'll go out and run a mile or two or sometimes jog the whole course again to cool down. I guess we're all different.

Ilene, did you mean in reverse direction, or literally backwards? I am guessing reverse direction though this would only work for an out and back course.

I have had some hamstring tightness after fast intervals, 400's, though never pulled a muscle.

My second half is usually faster in a 10k, so this would seem to indicate more warmup would suit me.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

#artbydmcbride

Ilene, did you mean in reverse direction, or literally backwards? I am guessing reverse direction though this would only work for an out and back course.

I have had some hamstring tightness after fast intervals, 400's, though never pulled a muscle.

My second half is usually faster in a 10k, so this would seem to indicate more warmup would suit me.

I can't run backwards more than 20 feet or so without veering wildly off course!     Big grin  Yes, I meant from the finish line back out over the last mile of the race.  It works for out-and-back as well as loop courses.  Luckily I haven't been in any point-to point 5ks.  

That cool down and stretching afterwards is probably good for you, but I never remember to do it.

If I have a long run planned and a 5k or 10k pops up that I want to do, I will warmup with a mile or so, run the race, and then head right out for another 10 miles or so easy.    Those are my favorite runs.   Although then you miss when they call your name to come up to the award podium.  Cool

Runners run