Swimmers

new group member introductions (Read 506 times)

Carl A

So, I thought I'd introduce myself and make a place for others here to do the same. I live in northeast PA, which has lots of hills for running over and ponds for swimming in. Although I'm currently mostly just a distance runner, I'm thinking I'd like to work toward a distance swim. An old indoor 20-yard pool is near my day-job in Scranton, so that's where I'm swimming mostly. At 38 years old, I'm usually the youngest swimmer there! Like most of us amateur athletes, finding time to train is the tricky part - I'm currently working a full-time editing job and teaching classes four evenings a week. Luckily I can eat at my editing desk, so lunch breaks are my running and swimming time. Weekends I like to spend time with my family (we have three elementary-aged boys) or working on house projects, but I can sometimes get out for an early-Sunday-morning run. How about you all? Anyone else out there in a similar boat? (or, rather, swimming in similar waters?)

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

I live in Green Bay, Wisconsin. I am in a similar situation with regard to becoming more of a distance swimmer. I have done winter running club-- highschool sponsored--the least 2 winters. This year, our high school has a swim team. I always cross trained using swimming, so using it as a sport would be fun. Plus running outside in the Wisconsin winters are kind of harsh... especially when its below zero and windy Shocked
      "Storm, Earth, and Fire, heed my call."
      Wingz

Professional Noob

Swam *ahem* competitively in jr. high and high school... um... 20 years ago. Shocked Hoping to start sprint triathlon training after the start of the year. (Moving to new city.) Currently too busy and poor to add a gym membership and attempt to add pool swimming... Roll eyes

Roads were made for journeys...

Been running for about 2 years but only got really serious just this year. I never swam competitively in high school or college because we didn't have a team. I was a lifeguard and have always enjoyed swimming. Just recently decided that next year I would like to try some Tri's so I figured I'd better get my swimming back up. I joined a Masters Swim team here and am probably one of the oldest and slowest members. Still just working on swimming laps and building up my upper body strength. Do most of my runs during my lunch (I also can eat at my desk) and have added 2 mornings swimming with the team. If nothing else it gives me more cardio, but doesn't put as much strain on my body.
          Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
          Carl A

It looks like we have a variety of experience in our group! I'm trying to slowly increase both my running and my swimming training. I did pretty well with running last week but didn't make it into the pool once. I'll have to fix that tomorrow. Like you guys, I'm trying to set myself up for a good 2009.

Mishka-old log

I'm a lifelong (since 14 years old) endurance sport junkie. Did only running from 14 to 23, then triathlon for 4 years (including one competitive masters swim season), cycling for 2 years, now mostly running for the last 2 years. I never swam competitvely until I strated doing tri's, but grew up doing a lot of swimming during the summers as a kid. I think this helped a ton in getting into tri's as I had a high level of general comfort in the water. In the years I swam, I had a coach for the first summer, then self-coached for one year, then coached again for the rest. There was a coach during the masters swim season that knew how to explain things to me the way I needed to hear them to improve. That season was incredible in terms of improvement. The swimming I do now is limited to time I can't or shouldn't run, mostly from injury, sometimes just for recovery.
                I joined our school's Swim Team!
                "Storm, Earth, and Fire, heed my call."
                Wingz

Professional Noob

I joined our school's Swim Team!
                  Congrats! I hope you have fun. Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

Carl A

Great! Enjoy the season!

Trigirl

Just saw this group now and thought it sounded good! I am a former competitive swimmer (age group then university) and now am a competitive triathlete. This winter I've been focusing a bit more on my swimming with the goal of competing at Provincials Masters and Nationals (Masters). My specialty is (or at least was back when I swam varsity 14 years ago! yikes!) the 50 and 100m freestyle. Hope to share some tips and motivation with this group! Smile

2010 results: Muskoka long course: 2km-55km-15km- 1st in age group (qualified for Ironman Canada), 4th female amateur overall; Smith Falls triathlon- first female overall; 5 km Canada Day running race- 20:42 (fourth female overall). My first pure running race! Quinte triathlon 1.5-40km-10km Second female overall; Ktown triathlon -first female overall (2km-55km-15km) Mt Forest triathlon (500-20km-5km) 1st female overall; Brockville triathlon (750-20-5km) 1st place female overall

2011 results: (Racing with Piriformis syndrome-ouch)  Sydenham Triathlon- 1st female overall; Peterborough Triathlon-4th female (out of 185)and 1st in age group.....

Carl A

Welcome to the group! I never swam competitively, so I can use all the tips I can get, and motivation is always great. I'm looking to enter a swim event, or create and complete a swim challenge of my own, this summer.

Slo

Hi Carl Everyone else. I've only been swimming for a few years but it is something I plan on doing the rest of my life. I've come along way.....from breathless after 25yds to swimming 4000 meters non-stop. I took it up primarily for competing in Triathlons. I still have a long way to go.....Adult instructors / coaches are not readily avaiable where I live so I am self taught / self coached. In a 1500m swim my pace is 1:45 - 1:50/100. Nothing great by any means. I'd like to see this forum take off !
                          Carl A

Welcome, Slohand!

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

New here-- although I see a couple of familiar faces. I am starting back into swimming. Although I never could do team (no ride to practices in HS), I swam laps for an hour 2-3 days a week through high school and periodically through college. I didn't get into a pool for several years after my swimmer best friend passed away, and did my first laps last summer. I want to get back to 3 days a week, and am building to a mile swim, using the below: http://www.ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.html I look forward to getting ideas from here once I build up a reasonable base. I start Swimming on Friday. Smile

Chris
                              PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Slo

Hi Chris Welcome aboard. Like Carl, I would love to see more activity on this board. I got serious about swimming about 3 yrs ago. Today I swim 3x a week and wish I had time for more. Last year I was getting much more but the pool availability in my town has undergone a change. Swimming is an excellent aerobic activity and I'm sure you'll find your running will benefit. I'm familiar with the plan that you linked to. If you know the basics you'll be swimming a mile with no problem !