Swimmers

new group member introductions (Read 506 times)

Slo

Welcome, Josh. Good job in switching to swimming instead of sitting around waiting for the injury to heal.

Although I've enjoyed increasing my running mileage this spring, I've missed swimming. I need to find a way to do both.

Steve, E7sus4 is a beautiful chord. Did you pick it for a reason?

Yeah,

Because it's a beautiful chord !

Seriously, though......I like to throw in suspended's and E7sus4 fits so well in so many places.

325th place or bust!

Hi everyone.  I'm trying to get in some swimming as a cross-training activity.  I took some lessons with the city earlier this year.  There wasn't any pool close by so I was slow to get back into it but recently the nearby city college opened up for swim at noon and with the warm summer weather it's nice to go in the pool and swim a few laps.  They only have 5 lanes set up since most of the pool is for the kids to play in but it works out pretty well.

I'm still early in the swimming training so I expect to do only around 250 yards today.

On the cross-training forum I posted my problem with dizziness after getting out of the pool and will try some solutions to that today.

Nice meeting you all!

Brian

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

Welcome Brian.  It's good to see you here.  Good luck with your training!
        Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers

under a rock

Hi, I'm Ashley. I'm completely new to swimming. I noticed a few weeks ago that spin class was starting to make my IT Band feel tight so I decided to switch to swimming for my cross training. I signed up for instruction at the YMCA. I've taken 4 classes and have two left. I'm glad I signed up because a day before my first class my IT Band got the best of me. The Dr told me to take at least a week off from running. So I'm glad I've had the swimming to look forward to since I've been on my running break. I'm really enjoying swimming and love having a challenge of learning a new sport.

I hope I can learn a lot from this forum. Much of the terms that I've seen used in other posts are so foreign to me! I grew up riding horses competitively and decided after having my son it was time to give the sport up since I've lost much of my  nerve. So I can make your head spin with riding terminology and technique but any other sport I'm pretty clueless, though I have a decent base knowledge of running terms.

Slo

Hi Ashley and welcome to the group.

Congrats on taking up swimming........It's something I wished I have done long ago.

I took up swimming because of Triathlon. Like you I started with some one on one instructions close to three years ago. My first lesson began with my instructor......a 68 yr old, female retired teacher saying....OK, show me what you know......So I took off towards the other end of the pool......I got there completely breathless......Today I swim 3 times per week and really look forward to those days.

It is an awesome activity.

Don't be afraid to ask about anything........we're all pretty new to swimmig here......I hope you come to enjoy as much as we have !

Steve

hi,

I'm Mike, live in Chicago and swim a bit on the side.  I started swimming when I was 7 and swam right up through college.  I prefer to run now, even though I was an elite age group and high school swimmer.  I feel like I've done swimming enough, plus it's much easier to find places (and races) to run Smile

Anyway I have a kickin' case of rheumatoid arthritis and when it's flaring I do most of my swimming.  I have a pulled groin right now, too - I thought it was RA so I plowed right through it, then realized that it was actually an injury.  That's the nice thing about RA, running through RA pain when it's manageable can offer your joints some relief but you sometimes just can't tell if it's an RA flare or an actual injury!  Not the first time that has happened, either! 

I am not a member of any masters team or anything, and don't have any aspirations to do triathlons at this point, I enjoy getting in the pool and swimming to keep my fitness up and that's about it.  I would be more than happy to offer advice, assistance, etc about technique and drills though I wonder if they might be outdated by now Smile

Slo

Hey Mike

Thanks for stopping by.

As far as swimming goes I'm pretty much a noob. I took one on one lessons about 4 years ago. At that time I could imitate a front crawl with my head out of the water. 25 yds and I was shot.

Since then I have fallen in love with swimming and look to keep it the rest of my life. I would like to get faster.....not in the 100yd but in long distance......I'm right around a 1:55/100yd pace for 1000yds.....some days a little better.

Thanks a lot, glad to hear from someone so quickly!

I was never a sprinter type, I was 500-yds and up or the longer strokes (200 fly, 400 IM).  Too short, slower-twitch muscles, all sorts of factors led me to the more punishing workouts as a kid.  Man we lived in chlorine.

Swimming is wonderful for so many reasons, I just wish there was more variety or outside stimuli.  The relief from arthritis lasts a few hours and is motivation enough to get in and swim.  Since I got back in the pool in the spring (it had been nearly 10 years to the day) I have come to appreciate just how hard swimming is.  Then again, I also have realized how much good it does us.  Why was I so stupid and lazy throughout my 20's when I had more time than I knew what to do with?  Argh!

Hello group,

I'm trying hard to be a runner in a couch potato's body, haha.  Swimming offers me a release from feeling uptight about how slowly I run.  I hear a lot of stories of people in the opposite boat, that they can run all day long but swimming is a challenge--for me though, swimming is very natural for some reason.  I've never done any competitive swimming but lived in the pool as a kid and recently started lap swimming in the hopes of at some point doing a tri.  I'm using the zero to 1 mile swim program that someone else in this thread linked to, but my problem is finding time to swim.  I'm managing to get in my three running days each week (C25K) but getting three days of swimming in a week has proven nearly impossible.  There is a masters team here but it's really expensive, a few hundred dollars a year on top of the $63/month gym membership.  So at the moment I'm just doing my own thing when I can.  I think I have a reasonably OK swimming form but I'm sure it's not super efficient.  I count about 24 strokes per 25 yards, and that's not pushing it, that's my "easy" pace.  Haven't really timed anything since I'm just getting into lap swimming.

I do have one beef though, and that is with goggles.  For the longest time I didn't get goggles but my eyes burned like a mother every time I swam, so I got some pretty decent goggles but I can't seem to zero in on the ideal tightness, too tight and I feel like the suction is pulling my eyeballs out and too little suction lets in air around my nose.  Argh!

2009 Goals:
                    PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                    Run a 10K
                    Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                    Complete my first Sprint Tri
                    Slo

Hi Jenn

I've been through a ton of goggles. Ended up going with what they call Swedes. No rubber gasket, requires very little tension and they don't give you racoon eyes.

Thanks for stopping in and good luck with your swimming and running.

Welcome Jenn!

I'm like you, a slow runner, who one day heard about tri's and how most runners struggle with the swim.  A light went off in my head saying, "but I love to swim that part should be easy for me".  I have been taking Master Swim classes, no where near the price of what you're talking about, on and off and did my first tri this past weekend.

I've had to try several pairs of goggles and still haven't found one that doesn't give me the raccoon look.  Hopefully I'll stumble on to them eventually, but I hate to keep spending money on them. 

Let us know how you're progressing. 

Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
                          Hello-

I started swimming maybe 4 years ago as cross training for running. At some point last summer I got motivated to do an olympic tri and really learned to like swimming. I'm not a fan of biking, so I've just become a runner who likes to swim. (I did do an aquathlon last summer and absolutely loved it, but couldn't this year due to being out of town for a month)

I'm a runner before a swimmer, but one thing I really do like about swimming:

it is possible, maybe even easy, to feel like crap after a run, but I always feel great after getting out of the water.

under a rock

Welcome to the group! That's cool that you've done aquathlons. I really would like to try an aquathlon next year since I'm not really keen on doing the bike part of a tri.
                            protoplasm72

Hey all,  I just found this group.  I've been swimming regularly for almost 2 years.  Started due to ITBS before a marathon and then I got into triathlons.  I'm dealing with running injuries again so I've pretty much only been swimming for a couple months.  This summer I've actually started placing better in the swim then the run during triathlons and that was before the swimming was my main focus.  I don't know if it is realistic but I'd like to be one of the first people out of the water by next season.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Welcome Protoplasm. Great goal and based on what you've shared, it sounds attainable.
                                Find the fun.