Swimmers

Lap counter? (Read 286 times)

Darla1

Okay really dumb question but have to know.....how in the world do you all keep track of laps.  I try really, really hard but after a few my mind wonders and I completely forget.
    Slo

Hi Darla

I have a small lap counter that you wear on your finger. They have a couple of models. Mine keeps track of your laps and gives you splits. For alittle less you can keep one tht just counts.

You can see it here

Darla1

Thanks for the lap counter suggestion.  I found it for $25 at swimtowin.com.  Not sure about Shipping & handling though. Did you see the counters that suction to the end of the pool?  What are your thoughts on this? The cheapest I can find this is about $58.  Wondering if you think it might be worth it??? 

http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/swimming-lap-counter.html?CID=GoogleShopping

under a rock

I didn't realize there were lap counters. That's so cool. I'll have to look into getting one since I lose track pretty easily.
          TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

After a while it gets easier. Here are some ideas: count by grouping laps (ex. two laps=100, or 4 lengths=100).

Another is to use the clock: watch how long it usually takes you to swim 100 yds at a comfortable pace.  If you loose count check where the minute hand of the clock is. (ex. you swim 100 yds in about 1:45 minutes so if you start with the minute hand at the top you can tell each time you get back to end you started whether you are on an even 100 or a 50 lap. The 1st 100 you will complete when the minute hand is on the :45, the 2nd 100 on the :30, the 3rd 100 on the :15, and the 4th 100 you will be back to the top of the clock.)

As you use the clock I'll make more sense. You watch can be used the same way. I hope this helps

Find the fun.
            ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Thanks for the lap counter suggestion.  I found it for $25 at swimtowin.com.  Not sure about Shipping & handling though. Did you see the counters that suction to the end of the pool?  What are your thoughts on this? The cheapest I can find this is about $58.  Wondering if you think it might be worth it??? 

http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/swimming-lap-counter.html?CID=GoogleShopping

not bad but only counts 50 laps?

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
              My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
              Ride 112 miles.
              Run 26.2 miles.
              Then brag for the rest of your life.
              -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Did anyone get these?  I like the idea of the finger one "sportCount Chrono 100" but could also see the mat thing being useful but I don't know how that one would work.  I could see me hitting the wrong place or something and it not getting my data.  Plus I don't see a way to download anything on either of these.  The garmin sure does make life a lot easier.  Why couldn't it work for swimming as well
                  2011 Goals:
                  Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                  Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
                jdais

Anyone try the Garmin Swim or the 910xt to count laps?

Swim , Bike, and Run A LOT

Anyone try the Garmin Swim or the 910xt to count laps?

I haven't tried either Garmin product but know people that do and they work really well. I use a Swimsense and its works pretty well also.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Update: I broke down last year and bought the Garmin 910xt.  Works fairly well, doesn't work for kick sets or some drills.  You need to ensure you have a strong push off form the wall as the accelerometer is what detects a new lap.  Even then, it will drop a lap occasionally.  If I see I am at an odd number of laps, then I know it has missed one.

Swim 2.4 miles.
                      Ride 112 miles.
                      Run 26.2 miles.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Counting laps?  I usually use the clock / pace.

When that isn't working, I use pennies on the deck.  Every 5 laps I move a penny over one tile.

Worked really well until a brat from the kiddie pool tried to make off with them.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

yeah, kids knocking things around aside, I have used other methods of keeping track, Moving a water bottle around based on 5/10 or 500 yard sets.  The watch really helped when my sets added up to the 5000 to  8000 yard range.  That is when my mind started to mush out and caused me to second guess my various strategies.  Nothing like having a very quantitative number to refer.  Also the other metrics (stroke distance SWOLF etc that the watch keeps was helpful in post swim analysis.

modified for clarity Wink

Swim 2.4 miles.
                          Ride 112 miles.
                          Run 26.2 miles.

I have a hard time keeping my mind in tune just swimming a 500 yard interval. I can't imagine trying to count a 5000 yarder. I like the instant feed back on the pace of the last interval, especially if I'm supposed to be doing some hard sets as it lets me know if it WAS really hard or I'm just whimping out.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

crap, I wasn't doing 5K sets, ALL the sets were adding up to 5-8K workout.  Sorry for the confusion.  May Phelps does 5K sets, doubt it though Big grin

Swim 2.4 miles.
                              Ride 112 miles.
                              Run 26.2 miles.

jdais

Decided to sell my 310xt and get the 910xt.  It works great.  Only issue is that you need to hit Lap everytime you stop swimming and hit lap again when you start again. It does record this as REST time, so I can live with it.  So far it has been 100% accurate in a 25m pool

Swim , Bike, and Run A LOT