Swimmers

Tips and/or drills for gaining speed? (Read 156 times)

aellopous

Hey all!

Ok, so, I have a really wide background with the water. I took lessons when I was a kid, did swim team until high school, did synchro for a while, did water polo in college. I'm a strong swimmer with decent form on everything but fly, but I am SLOW.

While I'm sure part of that is due to my weight (I'm currently shy of 175, and that's definitely the lowest I've been since at least high school), I just think I missed the fast gene. I have no problem swimming a mile or treading water for an hour. It just seems like whatever I do, I just can't break that 0:50 50 free. Which is really kind of ridiculous.

Any ideas?

MTA: oddly, I can sustain that pace for a really long time - my mile time is about 33 minutes. I just suck at sprints, I guess, and I'd like to get better. I'm a pretty slow runner, too, if that makes a difference.

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

What have you tried doing to get faster so far? Genes can play a role, but you can make a difference. The most basic principle for speedwork is ez warm-up -- short distance faster than usual -- rest/recover -- repeat -- ez cool down. A main set of 10 x 50's may be. There are ratios, distance specific w/o's and drills, but it comes down to some similar principles.

I've done sets that trick my body into going a little faster. ex. 200-600 pull, 200-600 swimming with fins (kick hard and actually pull fast --don't let the arms loaf, find still water), then do the equivilant distance in 50's or 100's with more than usual recovery between each (now is when to push yourself).

That what I've got for now. Good luck. It sound like you have a solid aquatic background and base.

Find the fun.
      Slo

It sounds like the fitness is there...maybe something in your form?

I have to go with Trail Surfer....maybe try swimming with fins and make sure your getting a good catch and pull when your swimming faster. Make sure you feel the resistance of the water in your arms.

When I asked my instructor "What do I need to do to get faster?" Her answer was "Swim Faster"........A line she borrowed from Bruce Lee I believe when a student asked him what they needed to do to kick faster.

The mistake most beginners make is that they think they have to move thier arms faster to swim faster.......when actually what you want to do is grab more water and push harder on it.  Given your background and HS experience I suspect this is not the problem.

MTA:

I thought about your post while I was swimming this morning. The only differences I can detect in my 0:42 50y repeats and my 0:52 1000y swim are:    (times are for 50y)

My glide.....I don't glide on my intervals. The catch begins as soon as my arm is extended.

My Pull....After my catch I get a nice long sustained pull......all the way through my hand exiting the water.

And My Kick.....It's much stronger, no flutter kick.