Swimmers

WDYDT (Read 440 times)

Carl A

On all days but one of my family's vacation, I got in about ten minutes of ocean swimming while our children were building sand empires. I went out as far as the lifeguards were letting people go, did laps back and forth, and ducked under the few early breakers.

Swimming again felt great. I think it's time to renew the pool membership!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Way to squeeze your swims in WDYDT.
      Find the fun.
      Slo

Nice Swims.......I'm jealous of you guys with access to open water.

I've been awol for the last week but still managing to get some swimming in. Mostly just laps since I'm at a different pool and all my toys are in my locker at the Y.

Beware, batbear...

I've been swimming with my youngest step-daughter Kaiya this week, trying to get her to listen to me about learning strokes.  She loves to swim but isn't all that interested in learning to swim well.  She's just happy to be wet.  I guess that's the way it is at 9.  I'm not the type to push, so I guess I'll just have to put her in some organized lessons since she won't really listen to me.

Other than that, I took some time to swim some today:

200 IM Warm up (choice drills)

1650 ladder (11 lengths, then 9, 8, 7, etc.)

150 kick swim down.

2000 yds in around 40 minutes.  

I'm learning to breathe on both sides.  I guess that's supposed to make you faster eventually, but right now it's kind of a pain in the ass.  I'm sucking in a lot of water. 

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Slo

I'm learning to breathe on both sides.  I guess that's supposed to make you faster eventually, but right now it's kind of a pain in the ass.  I'm sucking in a lot of water. 

I just replied to your question on the other thread.

I'm LOL......It isn't kind of a pain in the ass......It is a pain in the ass. I always end up with a belly full of air.

Beware, batbear...

I always end up with a belly full of air.

I was farting for a couple of hours. 

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Slo

Trying to get back to a good swim work-out. I've been hitting the pool but really lost my focus.

Today

250 yd opener

Then

100 side balance

100 pull bouy

100 side balance

250 yd TT

2 sets of the above.

I have made it to Masters swim class twice this week.  (Yeah me!)  And I actually remembered to write it down as soon as I got to work so I could remember my work out today.

300 Warm Up

3 sets of 
                  50 drill
                  25 kick
                  25 swim

25 easy

Main Set

3 sets of 
                       200 Good effort
                      150  faster effort
                      100 Full effort

1 set of

100 good effort
                      75 faster effort
                      50 full effort

150 kick easy

100 cool down

Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
                  Slo

Thats a very nice workout.

I wish we had a Masters program here. I would love to do some competitive swimming (outside of Tri's). Plus to have some one coach me and work on my flaws ! (The swimming ones)

325th place or bust!

Just thought I'd say hi, folks.  I'm new here and just started swimming a bit ago for some cross-training.  Right now my distance is less than most of your warm-ups...  Smile

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Just thought I'd say hi, folks.  I'm new here and just started swimming a bit ago for some cross-training.  Right now my distance is less than most of your warm-ups...  Smile

Welcome, I hope your swimming and running goes well. It's a nice group here.

Find the fun.

325th place or bust!

Squeezed in 300 yards (or meters - still need to find out exact size of pool) today at outdoor pool.

Observation:  swimming is hard work.  Smile

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

Slo

Yep, Swimming sure can be hard work......Stick with it....two things will happen and niether will take that long to reach.

It will become suprisingly easy.......and you will come to fall in love with swimming.

Today I pulled out my arsenal of toys......did 300 yds warm up then mixed things up with front and back kicks, pull bouy and paddless.....wrapped things up with 300 yds of freestyle.

Not a hard workout, just enjoyable.

Master Swim workout (As best as I can remember)
                              300 wm up
                              4 x 50 drill

1 x 75 90% effort any style but freestyle
                              1 x 75 recovery
                              2 x 75 90% effort any style but freestyle
                              1 x 50 recovery
                              3 x 75 90% effort any style but freestyle
                              1 x 75 recovery
                              4 x 75 90% effort any style but freestyle
                              1 x 75 recovery

4 x 100 kicks

4 x 50 fast

200 warm down

I really enjoy the masters class.  I know I push myself to keep up with the other much faster swimmers.  If I swim alone, I'm more likely to take it easy and not push as much.  I really want to get moved out of lane one soon!  I want to be able to keep up with the "big boys"!

Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
                              TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Nice workout Scubagirl. I enjoy Slo_hand and your story about the goggles. I found paddles and finsare helpful in moderation.  Bad technique leads to the "evilness."

I meant to do more but something interupted my workout today:

4 x 400 tempo to a bouy in the ocean today.

I have a race (1 mile swim- 10k run)  on Sunday morning.

http://www.srichinmoyraces.org/us/races/san_diego_swim__run

Find the fun.