The League of Extraordinary Runners

Upcoming Races (Read 1665 times)

Perry just emailed the director of the Annapolis Striders Valentine Day 5K asking their policy on late registration and late starts. If everything goes perfectly, we could barely make it to run By George 5K at 0830 at Hains Pt and then drive to Severna Pk to run Annapolis Striders Valentines Day 5K at 1000 -- but it would be great if they let us start late (whenever we get there) - just for the entertainment value of doing both.
    Durrr

Too bad the locations of the races aren't close enough that you could just make your cool down following the first 5k your warm up for the second, thereby running from one event to the other.
        Perry just emailed the director of the Annapolis Striders Valentine Day 5K asking their policy on late registration and late starts. If everything goes perfectly, we could barely make it to run By George 5K at 0830 at Hains Pt and then drive to Severna Pk to run Annapolis Striders Valentines Day 5K at 1000 -- but it would be great if they let us start late (whenever we get there) - just for the entertainment value of doing both.
        It sounds like the real race will be the drive between the events!
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It sounds like the real race will be the drive between the events!
          Plus that will be the only real opportunity to PR I think Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Phil and I may run the CBRC trail run this weekend, which I believe is a 6k. I like that they are varying the distances, but it kind of stinks that I've never run a 6k before and will not soon run another 6k, so my time won't be very useful. I will probably treat it like a training run more than anything else. Any chance of seeing you there, Perry?
            Durrr

Races like that make me hate the Metric System. Why can't they just add 0.27 miles and call it a 4-miler?
              Durrr

Well, I finally did it. I joined the CBRC! So is there anything specific I have to do to make the marathon count for the Grand Prix? And when registering for future races, how do I make sure I get the membership discount?
                  Basically, keep an eye out for yourself. When you go to register for a race with a discount, remind them you are a member if needed. They'll note your performance in most Grand Prix races and once in a while you may need to remind somebody you were in a race if you see in the standings that you weren't counted. It looks like our age group just got a bit more competitive. I'll have to struggle for 3rd this year! That is assuming I run enough races to qualify. That shouldn't be a problem, though.
                  AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yeah, just check the grand prix standings and email the grand prix scorer if yours don't show up -- that is, you don't have to do anything to be counted. They've actually not posted any grand prix standings yet this year. Actually I'll just email Scott Payne (the grand prix scorer) and give him a heads-up that you're to be counted. There is a trail run at Myrtle Point the day before the marathon -- that is the real ankle-twister of the series. Good timing huh? The trail run distances are bizarre because we wanted to make them all different -- so you get nutty distances. Annoying huh? Well, you guys are in the club, you can come out next year and lobby to change them or help design them Smile

Diesel Power

If I were in the club, I would lobby for the marathon to not be held the day that daylight savings starts. Alden and I will be running a 5K in Harford County on the weekend of 3/14. This is one of those “non-premium” races for a local club (Harford County’s RASAC), but this race seems to traditionally be fairly non-competitive versus the non-premium races of BRRC. For instance, a sub 20K time would probably put one in the top four or five, out of a field of merely 25 people!
                      Durrr

I just got the first glimpse of the extended weather forecast for 3/8/09. They're calling for a low of 36 and a high of 52, which indicates that the race temperature will probably range from the low 40s to possibly the low 50s. That sounds fairly ideal --- except there's also a 30% percent chance of rain showers (hopefully not until the afternoon). But who knows how much that will all change between now and then.
                        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The higher end of that spectrum will be nearer ideal for me - I too hope we don't get showers, or only light ones...

Durrr

I'm now seeing some drastically varying weather reports for Sunday. The Yahoo weather link calls for a low of 44 and a high of 59, whereas my Mac desktop weather widget calls for a high of 70! Both reports contend that it should be a dry day, though. I've missed four consecutive days of running due to illness (although I did 20 minutes on the elliptical last night), which begs this pressing question: how much tapering is too much tapering?

Diesel Power

I always enjoy referencing one nugget I read which suggested runners can take a week off and not lose a great deal of conditioning. I've had to take a week or so off at a time in the past, whether due to school or injury. I usually come back just as solid as before (if not a bit better, thanks to the rest), especially in periods of high training. My guess is that, especially after the several 20+ mile runs in the past couple of months, your body is a little banged up. Even though you were sick, you muscles and joints probably enjoyed the time off. I'm not suggesting you take off until race day, but I'm thinking you shouldn't worry about it too terribly much.
                              Durrr

I guess my worry is that, prior to this four-day sabbatical, I'd run a total of five days over the previous two weeks. It's undeniably ideal for legs to be well-rested before a marathon, but I still want them to remain well-accustomed to the movement of running.