The League of Extraordinary Runners

Upcoming Races (Read 1665 times)

I was considering racing the Keep Your Colon Rollin' 5k on March 28th. It would be a good time trial for me. It's far enough away from the Hospice race to still let me do a few hard workouts between the two races and improve some.
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

They're moving Colon this year to Jefferson Patterson Park, I believe. Crystal is thinking about it, as a time trial before Hospice.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Great minds think alike!
        philibusters

How far away is St. Leonard's, is that close to Solomons? I would like to use a 5k as a training workout, but if I go, even if I don't plan on it, I'll probably end up racing it because once you are in a race, its hard to go 90%. Going 90%, which is idea for a training workout, is almost impossible because at that point your competitive juices are flowing and you have let people pass you and such knowing that you could go faster.
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think it is closer to Solomon's than to Prince Frederick, but I am pretty sure it is north of the power plant (so it's not that close to Solomon's).

I may have to do the Frederick and Baltimore Double Dare. The question is, like Rick is asking himself, which distances should I sign up for? I'll think more about that in the coming days. Regardless, I saw an advertisement for it that showed a medal with a crab on it. I want a medal with a crab on it.

Diesel Power

Joe may have just blown the hinges off of my 2009 racing schedule. I just checked out the “Double Dare” website, thinking I would be confirming that the Double medal applies only if you complete both marathons. However, it apparently applies if you complete any combination of the Baltimore/Frederick Marathon or Baltimore Frederick Half. I had been anticipating doing a 5K on the weekend of the Frederick Half, but I could probably just aim to do the Half instead. I’m already planning on the Baltimore Running Festival, and, as I was telling Joe earlier, my runner’s guilt is tempting me to take another crack at running a marathon. I’m registered for the Baltimore 10-miler on 6/20, but I think there would be adequate time to recover between then and 5/3… What is it that’s so alluring about a race medal?
                Durrr

I think it's time people started posting their intended race schedules in standard list format. For example, as of right now I'm committed to ... -4/18/09: Hospice 10k ??? ??? ??? ??? -8/29/09: Chaptico Classic 10k
                  AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Today I was thinking that I want to do a half, but I hate to sign up for a half when I could run a marathon. It occurred to me that I could sign up for a marathon, try to run it like a half, and then just jog the second half. Main disadvantage I can think of, is I'll get passed a LOT on the second half... MTA: I'm tempted also by the Maryland Double.

I am also quite sure that DR will be doing the Jingle Bell 5k in December. I'll post my schedule once I've made it. Rick, the medals don't mean too much to me. They mean something to me when it's for an overall or age group award, but the finishers medals are not something I'm a fan of really. It sort of makes sense for a marathon, because it's considered more of an achievement. It's always nice to get an award for any reason, too. Having said that, I generally prefer it would reward a specific accomplishment instead of simply finishing. In the case of this specific medal, it has a FRIKKIN CRAB. You can't find those just anywhere. I'm pretty excited by the prospect of the half marathons. I think I would like to get my long run up in the 20ish range by fall, but it's not too critical to me that I do a marathon as soon as I get that high. If I get a serious hankering for a marathon, I think I'd prefer a smaller one than Baltimore, so I'd probably be okay with picking a lesser known one a month or two later.

Diesel Power

If I decide to do the Double, my race schedule might look something like this: April: Hospice 10K Early May: Frederick Half Late May: McVet 10K (Baltimore City) June 20: Baltimore 10-miler Early August: BRRC 5-Miler Mid-September: Get Ready, Get Set, Get Fit 5K Mid-October: Baltimore Running Festival A week later: Komen 5K (only if I do the Half, not if I do the marathon) Mid-November: Men in Kilts 5K Thanksgiving Race December 20th-ish: Celtic Solstice 5-miler If I do the Baltimore Half, I'd like to jam as many races as I comfortably can into the last quarter of the year. However, if I do the marathon, I'll probably need to be more careful/cautious and rest. That would be a downside of doing the marathon. Joe - I believe registration prices increase as of 4/1. If you do the Frederick Half, does that mean you're out for the 10-miler? Phil - Are you still planning on doing the Frederick Half? Do you have any interest in doubling up with Baltimore near the end of the year? DR - If Joe, Alden, and myself are all in for the double (maybe Phil and Perry), what do you think your move would be?
                          I just saw a rather creepy $1.19 Filet O Fish commercial. It was basically a fish arguing for its life, but McDonald's was advertising how delicious this sandwich is. In the commercial's defense, I wasn't really paying attention to the start. Rick, I think my May and June months are pretty open. There is only one potential conflict with the CBRC Grand Prix (Robbie Miles 5k), which is unfortunate, but I can cope with missing another in the series. This means I can potentially do the half, the 10-miler, and the other half. I must add that the Men in Kilts 5k is tempting me with its free Guiness and ticket to the Irish festival, though the CBRC Grand Prix schedule gets pretty cluttered later in the year.

Diesel Power

Filet O Fish is probably the worst fast food sandwich of all time. I ate at Five Guys the other night. The Five Guys sits right next to a McDonald's. Honestly, I don't know how that McDonald's makes any money. I believe that wearing kilts for the Men in Kilts 5K is optional, but their might be a separate division for it. I plan on wearing a kilt regardless.
                            Durrr

I hope to run every remaining Grand Prix event, and Joe, the Robbie Miles isn't one of them this year: SMCN Resolution Run 5K Prince Frederick, MD January 1 LPR Marathon or LPR 10-Miler* Piney Point, MD March 8 or October (?) St. Mary’s Hospice 10K Leonardtown, MD April 18 Chaptico 10K (5K for 19-under) Chaptico, MD August 29 Hughesville 10K (5K for 19 and under) Hughesville, MD October 3 CAASA Step by Step 5K Solomons, MD November 7 T’giving Prediction Run 5K St. Mary's City, MD November 21 Jingle Bell Run Solomons, MD December 5 * Runners can run either the LPR Marathon or the LPR 10-Miler for points. For those that run both, the better score counts. So as you can see, there's a pretty big hole between 4/18/09 and 8/29/09. Thus I'll have to fill in two or three races over the course of May and June, and the Frederick Half sounds intriguing. I just hope there are at least a couple weeks between the Hospice 10k and that event. Rick: would you consider supplanting one of your fall races with a race down here? Looking at your schedule, I'd suggest eschewing the kilts and running Step By Step with Patrick Duffy.

Diesel Power

I'll consider it, but I could also ask you to do the same.