The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Diesel Power

I see where DR's coming from... however, I think I'd be doing the same thing as Adubb if I were in his shoes. It'd probably be different if I were in someplace like Scotland or Japan by myself... there's probably better scenary and way more people out running. However, I can't imagine Colombia provides for the best of running environments. I think Adubb's gained all the weight I've lost... at this time last year, I weighed in at 187, and am down to consistently 158-160. The cool thing is that my body fat is now consistently under 10%... some days, it's even under nine! In an ideal world, I think I'd be happy at 165 lbs and around 5% body fat. Of course, then I could probably go be a professional fighter or something.
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Gee, at the clinic thing at my work recently, they measured body fat with calipers and reported mine as 12.8% -- after a summer & autumn of running and not losing weight, and then losing a bit over the winter with more running. Rick, how do you measure your body fat -- you said "some days", so I gather you have some way to measure it yourself daily? Anyway, I went out today, and went fast, and it felt pretty good -- actually, I felt a bit short of breath at some parts, as if I were swimming -- but it felt pretty good. Went 4 miles at a fast pace for me at 8:51, 8:08, 7:34, 6:46. Then a quarter mile warmdown. I rang Joe just before I went out, but apparently he was already out running.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Diesel Power

I have a handheld device that measures body fat percentage through electronic pulses or some such nonsense. From what I've read, the caliper (sp?) method is accurate to 0.1% or so, whereas this handheld thing is only 0.5%. However, it's much more convenient. I generally only measure every two weeks or so. It's tough to remember to do that first thing in the morning, before even hoping in the shower.
        Durrr

Adubb is right about the necessity of eating. I remember sometimes at SU I'd go to the gym on a relatively empty stomach, workout vigorously for two to three hours, and then not make it to the dining hall for another hour or so. My body was probably literally eating itself, so now wonder I never got heavier than about 148 lbs. I still proudly remember the time when, in a health and fitness class first semester sophomore year (college), I got the results of a physical examination back and saw that my body fat index was listed as "N/A". It might have embarrassed the not-fat girl sitting next to whose results read "27%". I did, however, only weight about 121 lbs then (whereas I clocked in at 139 the other day). Today I did something completely unprecedented: I ran BEFORE work --- at 7 a.m.! I ran merely three miles at a 9:30/mi pace, and I really only did it so early so as to prepare myself for how early the marathon will be. Aside from running afoul of numerous youths waiting for school buses, I couldn't believe how many birds were out and about.
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The Piney Point forecast right now on weather.com only predicts one sunny day in the next week -- Sunday Smile

Diesel Power

The earliest I've had to get up and run before work is about 5am. That's usually only the day before a Saturday race, when I prefer doing 2 miles at an easy pace at least 24 hours before the starting gun. Luckily, I don't do many Saturday races.

Diesel Power

Thursday, March 6, 2008 Greenside Drive / Cranbrook Road Library Hills Temperature was low to mid 40s, no rain, intermittent wind Tonight's workout was fairly cut-and-dry… four miles, followed by six speed hills by the Cockeysville Library. This will be my last hill workout until after the Saint Patrick's Day 5K. I ran for just shy of 35:00, and called that a four mile run. However, the meat of today's workout were the hills. I generally do these after a run of moderate distance as these hills are meant to be somewhere in between strides and regular hills. I think of them as more of a anaerobic workout... if these are done correctly, my quads burn for a few seconds after each interval. Six short, 10-20 second hills, followed by a five to eight minute walk home. I think walking serves as a better cool down than jogging for this workout, as my legs can be struggling a bit afterwards. -------------------------------------------- Saturday, March 8, 2008 NCR Trail Long run, 6 miles Temperature in the mid to upper 30s, winds 20 mph, drizzling rain When I was walking Molly at 3:30, the sun was shining and the wind was calm. It truly felt likes a day for running in shorts and shortsleeves. How wrong I was. By the time I had packed my gym bag and headed out the door (about an hour later) for the NCR Trail, the temperature had dropped to south of 40 degrees. The wind was whipping, and the sky threatened rain. Luckily, I had the foresight to pack a hat and longsleeves in my bag. Unfortunately, I forgot my gloves. Also, right before leaving, I discovered that my iPod was nowhere to be found! I scoured my apartment and car, and could not find it. My best guess is that I was negligent enough to drop it when I was between the car and my front door last night, and someone scooped it up and walked away. Now I'm left with a tough decision... do I want to buy a new iPod, or a Forerunner? Being that I need neither (and Val and I are saving to buy some furniture this summer), I'm probably going to keep my wallet clamped shut for the time being. As for the run... I was bitter that I lost the iPod, but running without it wasn't all bad. I'm not much for communing with nature, but it was a pleasant change of pace. Speaking of pace... being that I forgot my gloves, I was forced to do the girl thing in which I pulled my long sleeves over my hands, thus covering my watch. Rather than pulling down my sleeve to glance at my watch, I resolved to do the entire 3 miles out-and back blind! I merely pressed the Split button at every mile post thru my sleeve. The results were somewhat surprising. Last weekend, I ran the 5.5 miles averaging an 8:08 pace, and never straying far from it. As I've said before, I think overtraining like this has caused several of the common overuse injuries I've been plagued with in the past. Earlier in the week, I think I said that I would aim for 8:45 - 9:00 as a pace. Here's how I did blindly: 1. 8:47 2. 8:41 3. 8:35 4. 8:40 5. 8:39 6. 8:17 I'm very happy with the first five splits. Due to the (near?) freezing windchill, and the fact that I wore only a longsleeve tee and shorts, I didn't do a warm-up or any major stretching. I did the essential stretches, and went right into the run. It makes sense, therefore, that I got faster after the first mile. I wasn't trying to pad my time in the last mile... I explain that by saying that it was cold, damp, and windy, and I just wanted to be done. I didn't consciously pick-up the pace, but obviously I didn't object. Overall, it felt very good. As I sit here typing this on Tuesday (3/11), my legs feel refreshed. My knees don't hurt, and I only feel a dull pain in my shins (pretty good for me). -------------------------------- No extremely tough workouts this week. Tonight (3/11) I'll do a 4.5 mile run with 2.5 at an 8:00 - 8:10 tempo pace. Thursday I'll run five easy, followed by two easy on Saturday (a pre-race day tradition).
                Durrr

Hey, I had no reservations about doing "the girl thing" during the marathon by tucking my hands up my sleeves --- even though I was wearing gloves (albeit thin-knitted and slightly threadbare). So, I've had two days now of complete rest, and I'm afraid that I might be getting used to it! The soreness in my quads is now very mild, however, and I should have no problem starting up some light running by next Monday or Tuesday. And in the meantime I'll probably do a couple days of easy cross training. How are you feeling three days after the race, Perry?
                  AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm feeling well. I had ice cream last night, as my big risk/celebration -- my first dairy since last Tuesday (not counting yogurt, which is allowed b/c it can help repopulate your good bacteria, apparently). I also have had meat twice now since the weekend. Next time I do a marathon -- and I do want to do it again -- I want to not do it cooccurrent with a flu, because I'd rather be able to eat more freely afterwards Smile I ran yesterday afternoon with Crystal -- couldn't resist, so I ditched my plan to wait 5 days. Plus Vic said he ran 6 easy Monday and his legs felt better afterwards, so I wanted to see if helped me. It was painful for the first two miles, but then got easier for the last 1.5 miles. Afterwards, my toes hurt -- they feel bruised even now. But, my thighs felt better afterwards, and still do. So, it was a tradeoff.

Diesel Power

Goucher College Campus / Track Tempo Run - Half M Goal Pace Wind Chill in the lower 40s… Cloudy, no sun I finally admit that I have a problem… I cannot control pace. By most definitions that I read, what most people refer to as a standard "Tempo Run" should be current Half Marathon pace. Obviously, I'm stretching the definition by shooting to make my Tempo pace 8:00, which is my goal Half M pace for OCTOBER. Last night, I ran a mile warm-up, followed by a quick port-a-potty stop, followed by hitting the track for a 2.5 mile tempo. As I said, my goal pace was 8:00, which is probably somewhere in between what my current 10K and Half M paces would be. I looked at my watch after each lap, and the splits (which I didn't record) were often 1:45 - 1:57! I did the 2.5 miles in 18:56 (7:35 pace), followed immediately by a mile cool down. My 10K debut is not scheduled until late May. If, in late May, I could run a 10K at a 7:30 pace (46:36), I would probably be ecstatic. Therefore, I probably shouldn't be doing that pace during a tempo run nearly 11 weeks beforehand. My current tempo pace should probably be closer to 8:15, but I would let 8:00 slide for a bit. I'd be happy with my current long run pace, if I could keep it between 8:45 - 9:15 (depending on the distance). However, a 7:30 pace would probably be much better right now for AT intervals 1200m - 1600m. From there, I could drop the pace to 6:30 - 7:00 for speed / VO2 max intervals such as 400 - 800. I could probably benefit from heart rate monitor training. I tried using a heart rate monitor back in high school, but it was failry uncomfortable. Also, it became hot and itchy during the summer. I should look into how far that technology has come along in the past decade.
                      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Sat morn I ran with some guys over on Solomon's, about 7 miles, at about 8:14 pace (slower going out, faster coming back). This morning noone else from the tri group showed up, so I ran by myself, and decided to try going fast, and did about 1 mile at 9min and then 7.5 miles at 7:40 pace. That was substantially harder than yesterday. I deduce that I'm recovered from the marathon. I'm going to take tomorrow off, because that was fast running for me -- I spent the winter runner 9-10min pace all the time on purpose, to get used to long and slow. MTA: I slept for 2 hours later, so apparently that tired me out even more than I realized at the time. MTA: I want to find some hill around here to run sometimes, because getting some hill practice in sounds fun.

Durrr

That's some rather intense running for the first weekend after your first marathon. Remember, a runner's performance in the weeks following a marathon will only be boosted if he or she thoroughly dedicates time to recovery. I know it's very tempting to push the limits and defy caution by proving to yourself how fast you can shake off a marathon and get back on the competitive track, but that's the quickest way to run into injury. It sounds like you're doing fine, though. Personally, I'm terrified of getting a stress fracture (just remember how Joe got one from over-training back in high school), so I've been playing it safe a smart. I ran for the first time since the marathon yesterday --- just three easy miles at a 9:39/mi pace. And then today, against heavy winds, I did eight miles around the neighborhoods on a bicycle (with lots of coasting). I'll try to do four days of running this week, perhaps with some light fartleking by Thursday. Oh, and within the next few weeks we'll have to have a hill workout at Ryken.

Diesel Power

Training to hard after racing is what always ends up getting me into trouble with the "common overuse" injuries. I imagine that if I complete the marathon next March, I'll likely need to take at least one full week off, maybe 10-14 days. I read something interesting the other day... one of the signs of overtraining is a high resting heart rate. In high school, my RHR was commonly over 80. I just checked it prior to writting this sentence (after running a race and eating pizza), and it is 60. At least I know I'm closer to not overtraining now than I was in high school. I've always been intrigued as to how cycling would supplement running. Of course, that would require me to go buy a bike and stuff like that. Any thoughts on how that's working out for you?
                            Durrr

Well, this was only the third time I've biked in the past three months. So I'll say that running has more clearly improved my cycling the cycling has my running. Getting up the hills was far easier today than it was in December (although I may have had a partially flat tire that time).
                              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I thought I took it kind of easy after the marathon. M: nothing T: 3.5mi at 9min/mi W: 5.5mi at 8:50min/mi Th: 20min stationary bike F: nothing at all Sat: 7.4mi at 8:14min/mi Sun: 9.3mi of which 7mi at 7:40min/mi My total weekly mileage was 26mi I was going to start pushing my weekly mileage back up this week, but now you guys have me concerned I'm pushing too fast, so I think I'll take today and tomorrow both off, and not try to push weekly mileage back up this week -- I've not swum in 2 weeks, I think, so I could focus on getting back in the water.