The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

philibusters

Phil, keep us posted on the progress of Kirby's recovery. The fact that it happened to him while he was dancing is surely testament to his life-loving nature. Meanwhile that 50k was a pretty crazy mission to undertake considering your rather light volume of mileage in the past month or so. That is, you ran as much in one day as you did in either your previous two whole weeks of running.

My dad is doing very well.  He got almost every lucky break he could have gotten.  First when he fell backwards his head hit somebody's shoe which prevented him from suffering a head injury.  Second, there were 100 people at the wedding and one of my cousins friends was able to administer CPR which probably prevented him from having brain damage.  Third, the firehouse was down the street so the first team of paramedics got there really quickly and was able to administer CPR and use the defibrillator fast.  In all three paramedic teams responded which was lucky because it took between 20 to 30 minutes to get him breathing again.  Apparently performing CPR like they do (where you are not only breathing oxygen into them, but are pressing down on the chest hard enough that you are circulating the blood (because the heart has stopped and is not circulating the blood, so its the compression that is circulating the blood) takes a lot of energy and having three teams allowed them to take turns and stay 100%.  They got him out of flat line and a couple times so he had a pulse only to have him flat line again, but either the third or fourth time they got him back his heart continued to beat.  The paramedic team had the latest technology which tells them determine what to do and whether to continue their efforts to keep him alive.  Overall 17% of heart attacks result in death, but a majority of heart attacks that result in the victim losing consciousness, breathing, and a pulse result in death so he was very lucky to have survived the heart attack.  If he suffered the heart attack elsewhere where nobody knew CPR he would have died.  It looks like the brain damage is going to be minimal too because CPR was administer right away.  

The 50k was fun.  I was blissful unaware of the drama that would ensue that night.  The elevation gains and losses were hard (there was over 5000 feet of elevation gains and losses during the race.  5000/32 = 156.25 of elevation gain and 156.25 of elevation loss during each average mile.  Compare that to most marathons, like NY for example where there is just under 900 feet of elevation gain (and 850 feet of elevation loss).  900/26.2 = 34 feet of elevation gain and 34 feet of elevation loss on your average mile.   Nevertheless I could take the hills, yes you walk them, but all but the elite runners are doing that.  What was really tough on me was the trails.  Dan Forester got bloodied up on one of the downhills.  It had rained that morning and we were running in the mountains (hence the elevation gains and losses) so the trails were very rocky, very easy to either slip or twist an ankle.  I hated the trails.  I'd take the roads and their steep inclines in a second over the trails and their mix of incline, decline, and rocks.  I always throw in that I manually changed the entry from 32.2 to 32.5.  I did that because I forgot to turn on my Garmin until like 20 seconds before the start and rather than wait for it to find satellites, I just started it and I was about a quarter of a mile into the race before it found satellites so the time reading is correct but the distance reading is a little bit short.  That said adding .3 was probably overly generous.  I heard somebody's watch beep next to me and looked down and saw I was at the 1.76 mark, so a more accurate guess would be that my watch was only .24 short.  The race actually started and ended at the same place.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

week  mileage  time  pace
      2012-09-24 — 2012-09-30:  81.3 mi  10:33:58  7:49 min/mi
      2012-09-17 — 2012-09-23:  84.8 mi  11:57:59  8:29 min/mi
      2012-09-10 — 2012-09-16:  75.6 mi  10:27:06  8:18 min/mi
      2012-09-03 — 2012-09-09:  79.5 mi  11:50:28  8:56 min/mi

If you add those up, that's 321mi, so I've actually been averaging 80mpw for four weeks. (Not that I knew that - I just discovered that.)

DR:

As is typical of my autumns, I'm doing more volume to try to compensate for not doing the super-long runs that are the traditional staple of preparing for ultras (over 50K).

Joe mentioned that he was thinking about participating in some of the fast 1600s this coming week. But I have metric this coming weekend, so they don't make sense for me -- at least not as late as Wed, I think.

Phil:

Did you see Dan and Caitlin there, then? We knew they were going to run it; we'd forgotten if you told us that you were going to run it. (I think you had said you were signed up for a 50K.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

philibusters

Phil:

Did you see Dan and Caitlin there, then? We knew they were going to run it; we'd forgotten if you told us that you were going to run it. (I think you had said you were signed up for a 50K.)

Yes, there were like 100 to 150 people in 50K so it was a small enough race that if you knew somebody you probably saw them.  Dan said Amy Hanson was supposed to run the 100K and him and Caitlyn went to the starting line to cheer her on (they started the 100K 45 minutes before the 50K) but they didn't see her and the 100K didn't have that many people saw they probably would have saw her.  The elite field at this race was pretty good.  They had $20,000 in finishing money and another thousand or in award money for hitting certain marks first (like the 10 miles mark).  This was all in the 100K.  Because all the elites were in the 100K field, the 50K field was noticeable weaker.  My guess is the person who won the 50k may have been around DR's ability (albeit DR would probably have to get in some trail runs as practice to get to that time.

Durrr

Phil, would you mind revealing at whose wedding this took place? It's just that I know of a couple other people in the county who had a wedding on Saturday --- one that took place not far from a fire house, no less.

As for Amy, she no longer works at my company, but I had the impression that --- though she was crazy about ultra-marathons in the early portion of the year --- she's since lost enthusiasm for all that running and has instead become a fiend for pumping iron at the gym (she was getting to be frightfully buff before she left here). So it may very well have been that she was lacking the mileage necessary to tackle something so daunting as a rugged mountain 100k (which she surely signed up for months in advance) and therefore discreetly bowed out of the event.

I'm in turmoil about Wednesday's slated workout now. Here it is October and yet it's supposed to get up into the 80s on Wednesday! The last thing I want is for this most crucial workout to suffer the same doom as my failed (cut off halfway through) 8 X 2400 workout from the week before Chaptico. I'll keep a close eye for any changes in the forecast (it's also supposed to be raining, and that means high humidity), but there's a chance I might have to retreat to the morning and do something like what I did 2 days after that failed 8 X 2400 set --- when I went out before 5 a.m. and did a "4 X 2400" Fartlek set amidst 11 miles. So, though I still hope that I'll be able to successfully execute that 8 X 1600 set on Wednesday afternoon at SMCM, if conditions don't start looking better I might go for a "4 X 3200" Fartlek set amidst perhaps 13 miles on either Wednesday or Thursday morning.

Phil, sorry to hear about your dad. The first thing I thought when you said he fell backwards was whether he got a concussion, so I was glad to read about the shoe breaking his fall. Jerry "The King" Lawler had a heart attack on WWE Raw the other night and I thought at the time that he was fortunate to have about 20,000 people around him at the time it happened. You said they administered compression CPR to him. Did he break any ribs, other bones, or suffer any bruises as a result of it? Did he get angioplasty or a bypass done? Is he at Washington Hospital Center (most get flown there)? It's pretty rough stuff, but sadly common. My dad and Emily's dad both had heart attacks of varying impact. If your dad didn't have a cardiologist before now, he'll have one for the rest of this life starting now. Let us know if your family needs help with anything down here, even something as simple as moving something heavy in the yard, making dinner, or mowing the lawn.

philibusters

Phil, would you mind revealing at whose wedding this took place? It's just that I know of a couple other people in the county who had a wedding on Saturday --- one that took place not far from a fire house, no less.

The wedding was not in St. Mary's County.  The wedding was in North Carolina.  I think around Cary, North Carolina because that is where my cousin, Nathalie Vry (you can look her up under my facebook friends) lives.

philibusters

Did he break any ribs, other bones, or suffer any bruises as a result of it?

He had four ribs broken, but that is hard to avoid.  When the engine that circulates the blood stops, the heart, the only thing circulating the blood is the compression on the chest from paramedics.  So I think its better to be safer than sorry (and come out with broken ribs vs. brain damage).

Durrr

I'm afraid I'm definitely out for 1600s on Wednesday (little choice now since I went BB this morning). All my hope for a solid workout now lies in the dank dark of Thursday morning.

philibusters

I jogged two miles Tuesday, but haven't run this week.  Hopefully I'll get back started tonight with a 5 or 6 miler.

Durrr

I didn't run this morning. The forecast just looked too murky (70 degrees, 90% + humidity, rain), so I'm going for it this afternoon. It's definitely going to be on the warm side, likely upper 70s, but I'm just hoping that the humidity is notably lower than it was yesterday evening. And I'm actually reverting back to the original aim to do "8 X 1600" --- except it will be off track, on trail.

Durrr

For the first time ever, my "Daily run distances" graph is wall to wall run columns!

philibusters

For the first time ever, my "Daily run distances" graph is wall to wall run columns!

You need to use the widget that shows your current streak like the rest of have.

Also the fact that you are up at 1:30 in the morning probably precludes you from from running this morning.

Durrr

Late night logging indeed precludes a.m. running. After streaking for 20 days before tapering for Chaptico, my intention this time was to streak for 30 days before taking Sunday off to start tapering for LPR10. It turns out, though, that today's run (which hasn't happened yet) will/would be day 30, meaning tomorrow's long run will be the 31st day of the streak. It's definitely going to end after that.

Joe's log may be long lost, but I think he could at least share brief reports of his more notable runs on this Training thread. I of course refused to keep an online log before June 2011, but I did almost always write accounts for my most significant workouts, along with race reports. So did he get in a 200s workout or not on Wednesday? Meanwhile Perry turned the Pub Run into a, well, run run!

philibusters

Neither Perry nor I matched DR's 6:19 pace from his 17 mile run last weekend at Metric today.   We got rained a bit today ( in the second half of the race) which I felt slowed down a little bit, but overall the course ran fairly fast simply because of the idea temperatures for running.  Running is so much easier when its 55 degrees.  I was pleased with how I ran, especially after last week where I only managed a 12:36 minute per mile pace so it was definitely a step in the right direction.  I briefly fell apart in mile 15 because I was thinking there was a monster hill left as I went up a couple moderate hills and that made me wary, but it turns out the series of three moderate hills was the killer hills that people like Dave Walser had told me about.  They were annoying, but nowhere near as bad as I thought as I didn't even think they could be the monster hill because they were not hard enough.  Once I figured out there was no monster hill left I sped back up in mile 16.  At my parents house so don't have the equipment to transfer the data from my watch to computer but will do that when I get back to Hampton tomorrow.

philibusters

I'd like to set up a run tomorrow (Monday), but don't know my schedule for tomorrow quite yet (I may have to take my dad in for a hospital visit) so I'll call and post on him as I figure out what I am doing tomorrow.