The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

philibusters

Joe does the fact you have only logged 5 miles indicate you have not run since last Sunday?

I''ve run since then. My watch will have a record of all my runs, but not that one since I didn't use the watch. If I upload my watch data I'll fill in a huge empty period, but that day would still need to be done manually.

Then the issue of the air conditioned setting of the fitness center vs. the summer heat outside is another matter entirely. I've only had 4 outdoor running days over the past 2 weeks, and I struggled mightily in all of them. My summer weather acclimation is basically negligible --- which means I could be in for a humiliation if I show up to Patuxent HS next Tuesday evening (when it already appears that the temperature will be in the mid-upper 80s with stormy humidity).

I don't know if this is good news or bad for DR, but I'm fairly certain that Brandon Demers told me that he would not be at the next track meet (as he would be on vacation).  I might have heard that incorrectly, but I don't think so.

philibusters

I''ve run since then. My watch will have a record of all my runs, but not that one since I didn't use the watch. If I upload my watch data I'll fill in a huge empty period, but that day would still need to be done manually.

Maybe tonight will be the night when you log a hundred runs.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Somebody doubled today. And somebody ran a couple fast miles.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

philibusters

Somebody doubled today. And somebody ran a couple fast miles.

That a couple decent intervals there Perry, 6 flat and 5:40.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Thanks; I was quite happy to see those. I'd like to run 10:25 (5:36 pace) this coming Tuesday.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

philibusters

DR I was looking thru your training log and man you had a good training period at the start of this year before you got injured.  What do you think you would have been shooting for in the marathon had you not got hurt?

Durrr

I aspired to finish in sub-2:50:00 territory, or at the very least to defy Joe's Boston time of 2:51:58 --- yet that time set on 04/18/2011 still stands defiant and unrivaled ... as it shall for who knows how much longer. But I must say that, following the marathon that took place in my absence, I lost much confidence in retrospect. I'd expected Brandon Demers to make a sub-2:45:00 debut whilst Perry and Katie Ogden cracked 3:00:00, yet they all finished over 180 minutes. Thus it became all too easy to imagine how (had I avoided injury) my race might've gone down:  excited, I might've gone out too hard and focused on averaging a sub-6:20/mi pace, which might've worked out well ... until about mile 21 when fatigue might've caught up with me severely, causing me to go from struggling to stay sub-7:00/mi to posting an 8:00 + split to needing a walking break.

philibusters

I think you would have run in the 2:46 or 2:47 range DR.

Did you end up taking the weekend off DR.

Joe how is your running going?

I believe negative splitting a marathon is the best way to run it. It's also my opinion that you could have beat Demers in the marathon, but only if you had run it smarter than he. Have you run any negative split races in the last several years?

Tomorrow may be hot, but not necessarily humid. Your feet and skin may get hot, but your breathing should feel relatively normal if so.

I'm going to run just once today, though I'd like to run twice. I'm trying to bank some extra time before I go on vacation, though.

Tomorrow at the track series I'll work the finish area if most people are running, but if a lot of help shows up I'll probably just go jog again during the actual events. I was thinking we may want to set up a water stop on the track for the 3000, which may necessitate extra (and small) cups. I can pick those up if we think it's a good idea. If we set it up on the back stretch, then spilled water won't interfere with the 200m.

DR, are you interested in running Wednesday morning?

I've been running somewhat consistently. My foot limits me whenever I get ambitious, though. I did 5x~400 on the track infield yesterday and was happy with the workout. I think after doing it that I can break 6 in the mile, but prior to having done it I don't think I would have been able to manage. Last weekend I ran 8 or 9 miles with Crystal and Perry, which gives me three or so decent long runs in the last month, so I think I can handle 10 miles as a long run now without any real trouble. I think it would be a mistake for my foot to do any of these noteworthy workouts on back-to-back days, though.

My success lately depends more on shoe choice, terrain, and running direction/camber than on some of the workouts. The injury is on my right foot underfoot on the right side halfway back. It's essentially where the pinky toe joints all finally meet up with the bone half way into the foot. Running counterclockwise on the grass infield leans me to the left and alleviates some of the pressure from that side while also being on a grassy surface. This makes it so that 400s on the grass infield are possibly easier for my foot than an easy run on the open road shoulder facing traffic where the camber slants such that the right exterior of my right foot is the first and hardest impact every step. Certain interior designs of shoes can contribute or mitigate this feeling, too.

Joe how is your running going?
                          philibusters

For what its worth DR both did a hard 18 miler in late February.  I raced that a 6:59 pace, three weeks later I raced the marathon at 7:14 pace, meaning I got 15 seconds slower.  If DR got 15 slower from his 6:12 pace from his 18 miler he would have run at a 6:27 pace or 2:49 marathon.  I actually think DR would have lost less time per mile than me transitioning up from 18 to 26.2 miles, hence why I think 2:47 is realistic.

Durrr

All I know is that I surely won't have another winter of training quite like the last one. How could I possibly find the motivation to spend numerous mornings running through cold rain (an injurious bane) when I have convenient access to a treadmill?

I wonder if Joe could get away with sticking to the infield grass while competing in a track series event. Obviously that would give him an unfair shorter distance advantage every lap --- but if he were to begin an appropriate number of meters back from everyone else, it would even out.

Yesterday was an off day, but I still have four running days to log (nothing of any great significance, however). Meanwhile I don't think I'll be able to meet for a Wednesday run as, like last Wednesday, it will be a crucial laundry morning (this Thursday-Sunday trip really threw off my routine). I could, however, be amenable to a Thursday morning Ab Crest run. And then, due to potential weekend plans that could make a Saturday morning long run impractical, I'm planning to take advantage of the furlough factor and run long early on Friday (my posted training schedule needs to be tweaked, as I'm postponing the 15-mile steady state by a week and doing a standard, 17ish-mile long run in its original place).

philibusters

All I know is that I surely won't have another winter of training quite like the last one. How could I possibly find the motivation to spend numerous mornings running through cold rain (an injurious bane) when I have convenient access to a treadmill?

All things being an equal if you want peak performance at a race, probably you want to do your key workouts outside.  However for the modest mileage and breezily brisk workouts that focus on aerobic condition and recovery from hard runs I think it makes sense to use a treadmill.

I feel like your torture yourself by running so early in the morning (not to mention make yourself tired for work), so it would make some sense to do some of the runs after work.  That way you would not have to go to bed ta 8 pm to get 8 hours of sleep.