The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

I do it more as a courtesy for you than for myself. I think you generally worry about germs and such more than I do. I can only imagine the awkwardness of sweat started flying off my hand and hitting you after each arm stroke.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

In final preparation for the Young Life 5k in May 2012, my big workout was to do a 3200m "track trial" --- which was run at close to race effort (and I did score a new 8-lap PR of 10:53) --- and then, following an intermission, a brief recovery jog, and another intermission, I did a 1200 - 800 - 1200 inverted pyramid interval set. Considering that I then ran my best 5k effort to date at Young Life, there may be some merit to that post-race intervals philosophy. However, I don't think you'll ever get me to try it, because after an actual race my only motivation is to cool down, clean up, and start eating. With less than 6 weeks to go until LPRM, I'm starting to think more realistically about a lot of things. And after reviewing my training plan just now, I'm worried about potential for pre-race injury or, perhaps almost as bad, being simply overtrained/burnt out by March. I've got a hard 7-mile tempo that I still plan to do on Thursday, but then the weekend after this one I'm supposed to do a 19-mile steady state with extra fast finish (the very workout that wrecked my ankle last year), a 24-mile (and likely very brisk) long run the weekend after that, and after that I'm still supposed to fit in a grueling 3 X 4800 track workout plus a visit to Camp Calvert Rd hill. That's starting to seem like ridiculously too much --- and the 19-mile steady state alone has high potential to cause me serious set back. Thus I'm thinking of turning 2 workouts into one, sort of: instead of doing a 19-mile steady state or a trio of 4800m intervals, how about I do something Joe marathonish: 5 X 5k at a slightly faster than steady state intensity (i.e., narrowly sub-6:00/mi). That sounds like much less impact than doing 19 nonstop miles averaging close to 6:00/mi. Now I could use some advice on how best to schedule. Should I do the 24-mile long run 4 weeks out from LPRM and the 5 X 5k workout 3 weeks out, or vice versa? I'm not doing anything too signifciant this weekend (5 weeks out), and to be safe I would prefer not do anything too intense (save for a hard but brief hills workout) with less than 3 weeks to go until the marathon. P.S. RA isn't letting me separate paragraphs.

Assuming a runner is in pretty good shape it also holds true that many races volume-wise turn out to not be a very hard workout. Say you're a 10k runner and you race a 3200. It's a hard effort that is going to require a day or two of recovery, but it's not such a hard run that you can't do more after it. Many of your regular workouts are almost as intense and the overall mileage of the workout much higher.

I think after a long race Salazar has his athletes typically do short, fast intervals. After short races he has them do longer, slower intervals. He tries to work different systems, but but get more out of a hard day if it's going to be followed by a few easy days anyway.

This was my thinking the other day when I ran some hills after King's Landing.

What Magness says about hormones is a bit misleading, though. You don't need to race to get good hormone balance. A thorough warmup or first half of a regular workout can accomplish almost the same effect. Races under 5k for an endurance runner are like a fraction of a workout, though.

DR, I agree that you are probably risking injury by doing too much. But your solution to it boggles me. That's still a really hard workout.

True steady state effort is very close to marathon pace. I'm guessing by your approach to training that you've been dreaming that your steady state pace may translate to your marathon pace, but considering how hard you run your steady states that's going to be hard to guarantee. Having said that, doing significant volume at faster than steady state pace does not strike me as ideal. It does not translate well to racing the actual marathon.

I say this for several reasons. The first reason is that you get 95% of the benefit of the same workout by doing it slower and more controlled. The second reason is that significant volume workouts faster than steady state pace are likely to deceive you into going out too hard in the marathon. It's a scientific fact that for approximately 18-22 miles you can run faster than marathon pace because your fueling stores last about that long. A marathon is longer than this. Think of an easy run. You can do 6 miles at 8:00 pace and be pretty confident that you could do 9 miles at an 8:00 pace, too. That's because your energy supply remains unchanged whether it's 6 aerobic miles or 9 aerobic miles. If you are moving at a brisk pace for 20ish miles your glycogen stores are going to get pretty depleted, but you will have done 20ish miles without reaching that depletion. So you need to realize that those workouts do not translate to the full marathon difference, because the fueling is different.

The marathon is primarily an aerobic effort. Going faster than steady state means you are practically going tempo pace. That's not bad for improving fitness, but I don't see how it's a marathon-specific workout. If you do 5x5k at your marathon pace or even slightly slower you will be getting a specific relevant workout that is simultaneously a better race indicator and less taxing on your system. I think you have more to gain by easing the pace. Jumping in at 5x5k is particularly treacherous, as you don't even know how well you'd handle doing 4x5k. The workouts should never really feel exhausting. You should mostly feel like it's just a really tedious workout because of its duration. Coincidentally this is how your marathon should feel if you don't want to implode by mile 22.

I remember reading a pseudo-scientific article by a coach I respect who argued that there is a metabolic difference between aerobic marathoners versus other distance runners who do a lot of threshold or faster running and try to move up to the marathon. He claims the threshold runners don't do as well in the marathon because they are not as efficient at 26.2 miles as their more aerobic counterparts. I agree with him to an extent. The threshold runners end up training their body mechanics and fueling to run at faster paces than their marathon pace and for a shorter duration. The marathon ends up feeling unnatural and overly long. The threshold runner finishes workouts exhausted and unsure he could have continued; whereas, the aerobic runner finishes workouts feeling like he could have continued further had he wished, which is a better indicator of potential at the distance and also allows his training to resume with less recovery.

I'm going to stop now for fear of losing coherency. I think all of us as fans of your career are concerned that you will tire significantly in the latter portion of your marathon. Your biggest pitfalls in my opinion have historically been 1) lack of overall weekly volume in mileage and 2) over-emphasis on epic workouts that mirror race/exhausting efforts rather than targeted training.

P.S. I'd consider scrapping something like the hills entirely. I don't know what they do for your marathon that two loops of SMRSP wouldn't do. Hills train anaerobic ability and fast-twitch muscle fiber. They're a good workout for overall fitness, but are likely to put your body in a state of acidosis for a day or two just to train two things irrelevant to marathon efficiency. MTA: Much good training advice recommends doing special blocks of training about once every three weeks just to address versatility, so I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but I'd argue at 70ish miles a week that saving your energy for 10-15 extra miles or so that week would be a better boost to marathon training than exhausting yourself on hills. Two days of easy doubling could give a big boost in red blood cell count that in a marathon is going to pay off more than anaerobic fitness or fast-twitch muscle.

P.P.S. I recommend doing your longest distance 3 weeks out. You can do a reduced workout that's based on effort two weeks out and still be practicing the beneficial pace and effort. If you do a reduced distance run two weeks out, well, the workout misses its whole point of providing good distance.

Durrr

First, I would argue that doing about 15.5 miles at a 5:59/mi pace but separated into 5 even chunks that are connected by generous (probably 1000m) recoveries would be way less taxing than running 19 miles nonstop at a likely average pace of 6:05/mi - 6:15/mi. And keep in mind that it was just a few weeks ago that I managed 17 miles at a 6:11/mi average (which surely would've been faster if my left knee hadn't been giving out on me). But at this point I certainly don't have any delusions that I'd be able to run a full marathon at a pace anywhere close to those of my most recent steady states. However, I would most certainly not be satisfied with running the marathon at the same 6:46/mi pace (the pace of a 2:57:18 marathon) that I ran my 22-mile long run (83% of the marathon distance) this past weekend. Rather, I seek a golden medium:<6:30> </6:30><19:00> </19:00><6:07> </6:07>
              Durrr

Arrrrrgh, I should just not use RA when on base. I just wrote a huge post ... and only the first paragraph actually posted?? I had many, many points vividly written out that would've greatly enlightened Joe ... but anyway, the long run short is that this is the new design I want to go with: *5 weekends out: double modest long runs (i.e., 13-15 miles on both Saturday and Sunday) *4 weekends out: 5 X sub-19:00 5ks (i.e., a<6:07><-- point="" lookout)="" with="" an="" extra="" fast="" finish="" (to="" accomodate="" for="" the="" loss="" of="" a="" steady="" state="" long="" run)="" *2="" weekends="" out:="" mini-steady="" state="" (i.e.,="" only="" 8-10="" miles)="" *1="" weekend="" out:="" very="" modest="" long="" run="" point="" lookout)="" with="" an="" extra="" fast="" finish="" (to="" accomodate="" for="" the="" loss="" of="" a="" steady="" state="" long="" run)="" *2="" weekends="" out:="" mini-steady="" state="" (i.e.,="" only="" 8-10="" miles)="" *1="" weekend="" out:="" very="" modest="" long=""></--></6:07>MTA: Just forget it.

I feel bad for your typing tribulations.

I did not mean to argue the repeat 5ks were harder than the steady state. I meant to imply that the steady state was already a ridiculously hard workout. The 5ks may be easier, but still a stronger effort than I think is merited.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Here's a copy of a post I just made in some other forum, for you all's amusement. (DW = Crystal)

DW went out for a run and was cold so did a progressive 5K.

I ran later, and as I started, I thought, why don't I try some steady-state, and it turned into a progressive 5K.

Seems like all my unplanned progressions are progressive 5Ks.

This one was extremely similar to one a couple weekends back, with which I was really happy.

Maybe 5K is just my destiny.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

BTW, what time are you guys running in Piney Point tomorrow morning?

It would have to be a progressive 5k.

Durrr

I'm thinking I'll be doing more skiing than running this morning!

Speaking of progressive 5ks, perhaps that might be the remedy to my controversial 5 X 5k plan. That is, a progressive progression of 5ks. Something like ...

*5k #1 ... narrowly break 20:00 (you know that I could do that in my sleep!)

*5ks #2-3 ... get more legitimately steady state like and finish narrowly sub-19:00

*5k #4 ... focus on a narrowly sub-6:00/mi pace and target 18:30

*5k #5 ... go all out and try to finish as much below 18:00 as possible

I'm thinking I'll be doing more skiing than running this morning!

Speaking of progressive 5ks, perhaps that might be the remedy to my controversial 5 X 5k plan. That is, a progressive progression of 5ks. Something like ...

*5k #1 ... narrowly break 20:00 (you know that I could do that in my sleep!)

*5ks #2-3 ... get more legitimately steady state like and finish narrowly sub-19:00

*5k #4 ... focus on a narrowly sub-6:00/mi pace and target 18:30

*5k #5 ... go all out and try to finish as much below 18:00 as possible

That sounds like a hard workout.  What would be your recovery between?

Durrr

I'm thinking at least 1000m (though perhaps 1400m before the finale so that, with a 200m recovery at the very end before stopping, it will come out to 18.5 miles rather than 18.125, i.e. 5000m X 5 + 1000m X 3 +1400m + 200m = 29600m).

Great, the extended forecast says it's supposed to be snowing on February 8. A possible treadmill translation would go 2-mile WU, 5-mile tempo, 1-mile recovery, 5-mile tempo, 1-mile recovery, 5-mile tempo, 1-mile CD.

There's the small fact that four out of five of your repeats would be done faster than goal race pace.

Do you plan to do any running at all at your marathon effort prior to the marathon?