The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Perry/Crystal, keeping in mind that I'm in bad shape (can't be counted on to run faster than a 9:00 pace) and skirting injury daily (knee has been bothering me, but I'm rehabilitating nicely, but just so I can be ready to race and probably set it back again), I'm going to be able to run with my most freedom on Monday and Wednesday evenings this spring. I'm not looking to pry you away from any running commitments you already have, but I do want to let you both know that I'm able (hopefully) and interested (definitely) in running with you both more often. I'll be available other days of the week, too, but not with regularity.

philibusters

All the more reason to do runs with Perry and Crystal (ideally near their house) so they can let you log your runs.  I find it amazing given how much you were in computers and gaming that you don't have internet at your house, but I think its a good change for you (in the sense that you are not staying up till 2 a.m. gaming).

I completed a great marathon long run today, 21 miles at 7:55 minute per mile pace.  Unfortunately the rest of the 5 person group finished at around a 7:47 pace so they gapped me by about two and  a half minutes over the last five miles.  Also unfortunately while this was a great marathon training workout I don't have any marathons to run.  On the other hand, this along with the 20 miler two weeks ago on my aborted marathon gives me two long runs that should help with the 24 hour run.  If I was truly training for the 24 hour run I would have run 30 miles today at like a 9:15 pace, but this workout should still be helpful.  I did it without gu's or gels too.  And while I felt pretty tired (I obviously would not have fell back from the group if I had been feeling strong), I did not feel truly exhausted like I did two weeks ago like when I dropped out of the marathon.  And just so there is no confusion about the 24 hour run I have no intention of actually going the entire 24 hours.  My goal is to run/walk (hopefully mostly run) my way to 50 miles (which should take 10 or 11 hours if things go reasonably well) then promptly quit.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I was surprised how fast you did the long run, Phil (I saw it in your log before I came here & read your comment). I am going back out to run some more to try to get as much mileage (although not contiguous) in today as you  Smile

Joe: Sounds good.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

That would be great, Joe.  We're also planning to have the Track Series on Tuesday nights again.  I don't know if those nights will be open for you in late June - early August. ??

Nice long run, Phil!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

..  And just so there is no confusion about the 24 hour run I have no intention of actually going the entire 24 hours.  My goal is to run/walk (hopefully mostly run) my way to 50 miles (which should take 10 or 11 hours if things go reasonably well) then promptly quit.

I remember you explaining this last year. Originally my goal for this year was going to be to go all night, but then the ankle injury derailed my training, and I am signed up for another 24, so I think I would prefer to try running with you for as long as that is feasible. Then possibly I could keep going, but will see.

I should be able to attend and help out with the track series more this year. I expect to make most of them except for when I'm on vacation.

I've had two ailments lately. One is a case of runner's knee in my right leg. I avoided hills for a few days, did random exercises, massaged the area, and all sorts of other things to try and rehab it. It feels pretty good now. I find that I sit with my left foot resting on top of my right knee a lot when I'm in a chair, which I think is actually contributing to the problem. I'm regularly stopping that whenever I catch myself doing it now and this seems to be helping, too. I've also been taking my easy days seriously easy and only on workout days will I try to endure a little bit extra time on the knee. That's probably the most important thing, actually.

I've also had some kind of strep throat or sore throat/cough for the last several days. While this has been incredibly uncomfortable, it hasn't actually impacted my running seriously. It's one of those coughs we as runners know all too well where you actually feel good during your run getting the fresh air and being strong, but at the end of the run you might have a few coughing fits.

My training had been focused on doing one longer run on the weekend and one faster run during the week. This is basically Frank Shorter type training also what I did when I was preparing for the Wineglass Marathon. Unlike Mr. Shorter, my mileage wasn't all that high, but I was able to train both endurance and speed this way while still getting a lot of recovery to help ensure I'd hit my workouts. I think my achilles was still bothering me back then, so it let me do my workouts without stressing my leg. As my knee gets better I hope to see transition into a period where I can just run with more frequency and accumulate some volume. I'd like to mostly accumulate volume in April and then do more real workouts in May. That's almost never how it works, though. Typically I'm either running a little and hardly doing workouts or I'm running a lot and also doing workouts.

Phil,

You in town this weekend?  If so, join us for the Saturday morning run on Solomons.  9am meeting at the Gazebo.  Long run.

philibusters

Not in town.   Sorry I am missing the run though.    I need another long run.

I've basically missed a week (and counting) of training due to illness. I was doing okay running through my coughing fits, but enough of the coughing gave me back aches that altered the way I ran, so I've decided to cut back at least while my back hurts and the coughing fits continue. Consequently I missed Looking for Trouble, a great day or two this weekend that I hoped to get in a longer run, and I'll likely miss today, which looks to be the nicest day of this upcoming week. I'm bummed about it. I was just starting to round into some kind of shape.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Phil, are you going to run long this weekend? This would be a good weekend for it, no?

philibusters

Phil, are you going to run long this weekend? This would be a good weekend for it, no?

I was hoping to, but I could not find anybody in the Hampton Road's area also looking to do one.  The problem is the people I normally do long runs with all are doing Boston next weekend so nobody is interested.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I ran into that too, this morning--after Cherry Pit, I was looking around in the cafeteria for runners to go out for more, but a number of people said they are running Boston next week and did not want to run extra.

My runs are so much more interesting when Perry logs them in.

I suppose if you ran on a treadmill he'd record you as having moved 0 real miles.

Perry (or anyone), would you have any interest in trying to train like this with me in mid-July? I say mid-July because it's looking like I'll have just shy of two weeks of no commitments and the kids/girlfriend are out of town.

Geoffrey Mutai training week (so keep in mind the paces match his fitness):

Tuesday
                              A.M. 2 HR easy run (6:30-8 min./mile)
                              P.M. 1 HR. easy run (6:30-8 min./mile)

Wednesday
                              A.M. 50 min. run (8 min. miles)
                              P.M. Speed Workout
                              30 min. warm-up
                              12x1km intervals (4:50/mile pace) w 1 min. rec.

Thursday
                              A.M. 1Hr 50min. run (8min. miles)
                              P.M. 2 HR easy run (8min. miles)

Friday
                              A.M. 25 mile run (7:15 min. miles speeding up to 5:35 min. miles)

Saturday
                              A.M. 1Hr 50min. run (8min. miles)
                              P.M. 2 HR easy run (8min. miles)

Sunday
                              A.M. Speed Workout:
                              30 min. warm-up
                              20x2min. intervals @ 5 min. mile with 1 min. rec.
                              30 min. cooldown

Monday
                              Rest

A few years ago I considered Geoffrey Mutai to be hands-down the best marathoner on the planet. Wilson Kipsang has since bettered the world record, which was then bettered by Dennis Kimetto. What's noteworthy is that the three of them train together after having joined Mutai and training with him. They place a clear focus on fairly easy aerobic running; their paces are extremely slow, excepting the fact that they run at 8000 feet altitude over hilly terrain. They take their speed workouts seriously, but as you can tell the intervals are never shorter than 600m. In order for us to handle this schedule I know that I would at least have to spend the next couple of months simply preparing to handle it. This would include things like adding more doubles, extending the duration of my regular runs, and doing some speedwork so that when it came time for the workouts I was not doing them embarrassingly slow.

I want to point out that, based on the paces, the 25 mile run for us would not mean 25 miles. It would mean something that is just barely longer than our 2 hour runs, so probably less than 20 miles. If we did the entire week (excepting speedwork) around 8 minute miles that would put us at ~135 miles. We'd be slower than an 8 minute per mile average, I think, so a little less mileage. Mileage wouldn't be our focus at all, anyway. Time running would be our focus. It's not quite 17 total hours of running. It's admittedly fairly ludicrous in terms of its aerobic running time demand, buuuuuut that's sort of the point.

I recommend running a marathon a few weeks later or at least some kind of race longer than 10k.

MTA: And of course if we're not in amazing shape by mid-July we'd back off on the durations for the runs, but I'd still like to keep the frequency of runs the schedule suggests. Some people would argue to reduce the frequency or to marginally reduce both the duration and frequency together. I'm generally opposed to reducing frequency and would reduce duration first almost always. Most studies show that your body produces natural growth hormone when you exercise (unless overtraining) that make frequency more helpful to daily recovery and improvement than runs of greater duration with longer recovery times.

Durrr

Good luck with those Tuesday morning 2-hour runs! Remember how early you would have to get up to get up just to do a 7-mile run?

I most say that I'm dubious on a training strategy that will allow you less than two weeks to train full throttle. That Mutai plan would indeed require a lot of buildup in preparation.What you described would almost have to be the peak part of training before the big race --- and how many marathons do you know of in late July or early August? The CBRC Track Series 5000m might have to be your goal race!