The League of Extraordinary Runners

Race Results (Read 2297 times)

philibusters

Thanks for the correction. (Although I get 18:15.9 * 1609/4600 = 6:23 pace -- same if I use 1609.34).

That makes sense.  He was 10 seconds behind Caroline Parris with a lap left so its a good indication that his pace was 3 to 4 seconds slower than her pace.

Durrr

I’d started my first warm up run 80 minutes ago, it was nigh 7 p.m., and it really felt like it was time to settle down for the evening. There was a certain yawn-inducing mugginess to the otherwise mild air. Ah, and I could still savor the excesses of my consumption over the previous two days, which included a mighty crab feast, heaps of pizza, indulgent ice cream cake, and a flood of hoppy carbonation. Basically my worst pre-race diet ever (though on the day of I ate lean and healthily), but that was inevitable considering that the final summer track series night had unfortunately been scheduled for July 31st. Nonetheless, despite these impediments to readily rampant racing, I found myself lined up all the same amongst the score of racers gathered over by the far corner of the Patuxent High School track. A quiet, nervous anticipation mingled with the dim evening’s humidity as we leaned forward, poised to commence the region’s longest track race.

Coming into the event I’d been quite wary of DeWitt, the conqueror from California, but I’d not anticipated that the entire Hall brigade would invade the track (what ever happened to Great Mills XC?). Thus the 5000m talent was distinctly more stacked than it had been either of the two previous years. Spying upon the event sign up sheets, however, provided curious insight. While DeWitt, known to run 5ks sub-16:30, had modestly put down 17:30 as his projected time, Jereamy --- alpha of the Hall litter (as opposed to poor Jett, the speed runt) --- had alarmingly signed himself up for a 17:00-flat finish. So I gathered that, whereas DeWitt would be holding back and “tempo’n” the race at a pace that might outdo my very best effort, Jereamy might pull off a sub-17:00 finish (the other three Hall kids and their father weren’t nearly as ambitious … the next fastest projection was Josh at 18:30). The only thing I was certain about was that I wouldn’t be running alone in this race.

I did, however, seek solitude at the onset of the race with an outrageous opening lap split of 1:13. Believe it or not, this effort actually felt controlled --- though there was no denying that I was burning up my rocket fuel at an alarming rate. It was all part of my admittedly reckless race strategy, though. The idea was to hold to <5:20/1600 average for as long as humanly possible, with the aim to crack 5:20 for the 1600, hit the 2400 around 8:00, and then be under 11:00 with time to spare at the 3200. The end plan was basically that, assuming I make the 3200 <10:50 and then somehow pull off a 3rd 1600 no slower than 5:30, I’d reach the 4800 by 16:20 and put myself in range of breaking 17:00. Alas I never could’ve anticipated how rapidly my pacing power would fizzle.

Though my 73-second set off was surely shocking to most of the field, I was not at all alone at the beginning. Trent Herzog was keeping pace with me --- from lane 3, sure enough! But he wasn’t even a participant in this 5000m heat. Rather he’d stated that he just wanted to get in a good mile in conjunction with the start of the race. Well I daresay he got more than he bargained for with the blistering blast off begat by me, and he called it quits after just 2 laps. And after that initial 800 is when the severity of my start started catching up to me grievously. I hit the 1200 in 4:00 flat, already falling off <1:20 a lap pace, and then arrived at the 1600 right at 5:25. Now, 5:25 is indeed on pace for a sub-17:00 5k, but the fact that I’d thundered forth so hard to achieve that split indicated that there was no chance of sustaining this pace. In other words, I was running essentially the same 5k I had 6 times (from Step By Step to Leapin’ Lizard … 17:05 at best on a short course, 18:17 at worst on a long course) in the previous year.

I was the first to round out four laps, yet by that point the hunt of Hall was well underway. DeWitt, just cruising along at what for him must’ve been like a hard steady state, was politely hanging about 10-15 seconds back, but Jereamy was bearing down on me mercilessly. And it was perhaps in the 5th lap that he made his murderous move. Now, this could’ve gone down just like my disastrous defeat by Dowgiallo did in the 2010 track 5000m race. I could’ve just complacently allowed him to pull ahead and then watched with helpless resignation as his lead grew exponentially whilst I continued fading until ultimately finishing over 40 seconds after him --- as was the case back in 2010 with Joe. No! Never again. I tucked right in behind Jereamy, letting him take on the work load, and then I was back in front by the 3200. But there’d probably been a couple lead trade offs in between, with more to come.

I’ve never before felt like such a villain in a race. Yes, Jereamy had three brothers and his father in the race (it wasn’t long before we started lapping George Hall), but on the side lines were his mother, sister, and grandfather. Gramps was particularly vocal with his support for J. Halls --- and he had plenty of advice to offer Jereamy on how he should go about combating me and leaving me behind. At least I had my colleague Jeff Th offering me support by name whenever I lapped him (twice, to be specific). Anyway, I was in a world of weak misery. The temptation to take a DNF had been mounting since before the 2400, and I was seriously entertaining the idea of shooting for a sub-11:00 3200 and then calling it a day. Well completing 8 laps in 11:06 spoiled that notion, leaving me little recourse but to continue slogging through to the utter end.

I couldn’t possibly have downed enough water during the parching, burning, arid dry heat of the Leapin’ Lizards 5k. Yet one sip of water (handed out by Anna Staats) during this 5000m track race made me go, “Blech”. The not so hot yet insidiously muggy weather had a bizarre way of making hydrating nauseating. So, I was indeed feeling despicable. And I was starting to crack under the unremitting pressure of my dogfight with Jereamy. That’s ironic since, every time I passed him back I assumed that I, the veteran runner (running since before he was born!), would finally be getting into his head --- making him quail and want to give up already. Alas it was I who eventually couldn’t take the intensity of the competition any longer. While I made a couple remarks during the race and eventually couldn’t contain a few moans of fatigue, Jereamy remained stone cold silent and focused on the task at hand (not to mention his iron footing in lane 1, which forced me to all but straddle the line of lane 2 when drafting off his right shoulder for much of the race).

At the 4200 (10.5 laps) I was actually in the lead --- but then there was a premature bell ringing controversy to deal with, and whilst I tried to explain to the volunteers that there were in fact two whole laps left to run, not just one, Jereamy exploited the situation by sneaking ahead of me. But flash forward 400 meters ahead to the 4600 (the start of the true bell lap) and I’d somehow regained possession of the lead. I was in the most convenient position to win the race! Except then, in a bewildering flash, everything fell apart for me all at once. DeWitt, no longer interested in toying with us, finally “turned it on” and zoomed by us, probably knocking out his final lap in no more than 70 seconds. This of course was a devastating demoralization --- and Jereamy was again at the ready to exploit me being distracted. He took off after DeWitt, leaving my stunned in sudden 3rd place. I was still going to finish out the final 400 of the race, of course, but my competitive spirit had been snapped and I had no motivation to try to outkick a speedy youngster.

Beginning the bell lap under 15:40 had been the goal, but I actually achieved 4600 around 16:03. At first this seemed dismally over pace goal --- until I realized that this put me in convenient range of sub-17:30. If only I’d recognized that <17:20 was also within reach! But I was delirious. The sun was suddenly shining through the clouds and into my eyes, and I was lapping so many people that I got confused over identifying who I’d just lapped and who might actually be catching up to me. In fact, believing that Josh Hall was gaining on me was about the one thing that compelled a kick out of me down the final stretch. And though the results would indicate that it was much closer, Jereamy appeared to have nigh 5 seconds on me in the concluding 100m. Then having a elbow on tricep bang up with a slow, burly fellow in the final 50 didn’t aid my sprint whatsoever.

Struggles and narrowly missed opportunities (missing out both on beating Jereamy and breaking 17:20 by just 3 seconds) aside, 17:22 does technically stand as my official 5k PR on an OFFICIAL course (12.5 laps on a track doesn’t get much more official). That 17:05 I ran at Young Life and that 17:06 I ran at HSMC Thanksgiving are both subject to intense scrutiny, and my previous best time on a certified 5k course was 17:36 at Step By Step. So I have to believe that 17:22 on a stinky summer evening bodes well for running … faster on a crisp November morning.

philibusters

A couple comments on DR's race, then my own report.

I am actually not that surprised that the opening 1:13 felt controlled for you.  I think you generally handle fast starts pretty well but the second thing is that  I don't think that 1:13 opening 400 meters was that unprecedented.  I'd say that was probably similar to what you did at Hospice and Young LIfe.  At this point I would say your racing Modus Operandi  is to go out hard and hold on.  Such a strategy could be considered aggressive, but the way you actually use that strategy its probably middle of the ground between aggressive and conservative.   Usuing the go out hard strategy aggressively would be to run a 1:13 but then to aggressively monitor each lap to make sure it was staying within a seocnd or two of 1:20, even if it was leading to great fatigue.  What you end up doing is backing off mostly after the first .25 miles, but then again at about the .5 mile mark, so that  by the half mile mark you have typically been just slower than what your overall 5K pace will (because you'll run the majority at that pace, with a fast start and end to the race that will lower the overall time.  So really you end up with moderate strategy, neither really conservative nor aggressive and not particularly tactical.  I woudl not recommend going more aggressive, running a 1:13 then monitoring the other three laps to ensure none were over 1:20 would be very aggressive and get you a 5:12 or so opening mile, but what happened to me at Young Life is going to be the probably result--a 45 to 50 second difference between you fastest and slowest mile.  If you are going to go with a moderate strategy when it comes to aggressiveness, you may want to be more tactical in the future.  Track races are much easier than road races though to be tactical on.   You tended to instinctively look at your watch every lap on track so you get more feedback which helps you run tactically, on the road, runners tend to go more by feel, which is more or less what you are already doing.

As for my race, the goal was to run 90 second laps the first two miles then hopefully have enoughin the tank to drop  that by a couple seconds per lap in the last mile.  If I done that I would have run (hypothetical on the left--actual results on the right)

1:30           1:31 

1:30           1:33

1:30           1:29

1:30           1:27

1:30           1:27

1:30           1:25

1:30           1:29

1:30           1:30

1:28           1:34

1:28           1:31

1:28           1:33

1:28           1:33

40                 41

--------       ---------

18:32      18:43

Only 4 of the 12 laps were within one second of where they were supposed to be.  Part of that was that I may have devised an overly ambituous plan, but part of that was not though I came up with a tactical plan, the follow through wasn't quite there.

Lap 1:  I felt like we had a big pack in lap 1.  It was Perry, the three Parris family members, and I forming a 5 person pack.  We ran the opening 200 meters in 43 meaning the second 200 meters must have been in 48.   I was pacing the pack.

Laps 2-4:  Perry was pacing the pack, but I was calling splits to Perry letting him know if we were on or off.  For example, I think I told him the second lap was slow and that is why he sped up.

Laps 5-6:  The pack had broken up and it was more or less Perry and I.  I passed Perry back and resumed pacing duties at the end of lap 4.   Lap 5 was not a great pacing job by me as I ran a 1:27.  However, it was probably just right for me Perry as he ended running 18:20 so in reality the 90 second pace plan which produces a 18:45 5k was too slow for him.  Lap 6 I continued to push the pace.  This is not the first time I have had the middle of a race being my fastest point.  Its ended up being fairly common for me to go out conservatively, push the middle and fade a bit at the end.  Time wise I don't think that loses much time, but tactically that makes you vulnerable.

Lap 7 and 8: These two laps can be described as me trying to hold on to Perry.  Perry had resumed pacing duty at the end of lap 6.  These two laps ended up being our best paced laps if you use the original plan as the bench mark as we ran 1:29 and 1:30 vs.  the 1:30 and 1:30 benchmark.  Simply put after pushing the middle I was fatiguing.

Laps 9-12:  These laps can be described as the fade.  I have worse fades before and considering I was actually under pace going into lap 9 , the fade didn't destroy my time, but its always disappointing to fade especially when it comes just as your planned to start your push.  I saw my watch at every lap so I knew I was fading I don't think I realized the exact splits, but it seemed like I had a 7 second cushion, then it was a 5 second cushion, then a 2 second cushion or something like that, so I was well aware that my laps were just over 90 seconds per.  That is one of the huge advantages of aiming for 90 second laps, every laps ends on the 30 second mark or on a minute mark so you don't really have to do complicated math mid race to get a feel for how you are running.  This was a discouraging time.  Somewhere near the end of these laps I realized Greg Imhof was closing on me.

Final 200 meters:  Probably for the previous 400 meters I had felt Greg close on me, but now he was right behind me.  We had to go lane 2 on our final turn because we were passing some lapped runners.  I kind instinctively knew that he probably wasn't going to go out to lane 3 to pass so that he would not try to pass until the final straight away so that I had a little bit of a reprieve and that proved correct.  He pulled up even with me in the final straightaway and we ran a certain portion of the final straight away even.  At some point he picked up a little bit and when I tried to match I felt my hamstring twinged in a bad way, the feeling I got before I injured the last two times and having suffered two hamstring injuries in the last two months I was more aware...simply put there is no point pushing it beyond it probably breaking point.   Greg ended up beating me by about half a second.  If I really wanted to beat Greg I should have dug deeper in lap 12 because I knew ahead of time that my hamstring won't let me do an all out sprint and I needed to gap him lap 12 if I was going to beat him but I just couldn't get myself to pick up in lap 12.

That was a fairly stacked 5k. Nice to have competition all around for a change. You guys did well.

I've always thought that we're very generous to try and give splits to competitors. I'd rather we did more combining of heats for expediency than separation of heats for splits. I think anyone who really cares about their splits will take their own. It's a unique service to offer runners and is a definite perk, but any runner who is really concerned about their splits should be able to do so with a digital wrist watch. When I'm a meet I'm always more concerned with figuring out when my start time is due to how many heats we're going to have or not; I'm not worried about whether my splits will be recorded accurately or at all.

Durrr

It might for the better if volunteers at the 5000m event merely took 1600m splits (i.e., just 3 crucial splits for each runner) and otherwise focused all their attention on keeping track of how many laps each runner has done.

Durrr

You've absolutely got to be kidding me that it wasn't raining at Patuxent HS (none of Perry and Crystal's many log entries mention anything about precipitation). The track at SMR was submerged along the curves, and there was a tornado in Prince Frederick, for crying out loud (probably around the same time as the track events were taking place 20 minutes south in Lusby).

No results on the CBRC site? All I know is that Perry ran 5:15, and that Joe and Phil finished behind that --- and that they might've been the only three runners in the "race".

MTA:  apparently it was more of a water spout on the Patuxent River near the Benedict Bridge.

philibusters

I ran a 5:21 and Joe ran a 5:19.  

I struggled in this race quite a bit.  My plan was to sit back early in the race then push, but it ended up being a bad strategy as I never really pushed.  Contributing factors I think were 1) humidity--which I don't respond well too 2) Shoes---I used the T6's, but I seem to get worse when I run in shoes I am not used to 3) Desire----For both the previous mile and 5K I had double over to catch my breath after the race.  I could walk and talk immediately after the race so perhaps I didn't have the same desire yesterday.  Overall disappointing, but at this point I ready to move on to marathon training.  Marathon training per se is not my favorite type of training, but I feel like I get in good all around running shape from marathon training and that once I have a large base I also handle speed workouts better so high mileage is just good for my running fitness.  That said my favorite type of training is the training I was doing in May--maintaining, but not increasing high mileage (probably averaging 55 miles a week at that point) and doing speed workout.  Without a base, the speed work just makes my legs tired.

I thought I was coming in around high 5:17s. My watch says 5:18. Phil says 5:19. None of these times sound that great, but I think my previous time this year was 5:21. So that's an improvement.

My throat didn't burn as much after that race as it had in previous races, either. I think humidity may have actually helped in that regard, because after some of the races I know my throat was super dry. It started to drizzle right as our race was about to start. I wasn't sure if it was going to get better or worse. One lady commented that she heard there was a tornado nearby. That seemed hard to believe since there was no noteworthy wind. For the life of me I continue to not understand wind and tornadoes. Wind seems to be completely independent of cloud cover. Tornadoes just need clouds, but no wind?

Even though I had only a small warmup, I did it a little faster than usual and got in a few decent strides. This helped me start the race faster than I have been. I ran my first 400 in something like 1:14. I was leading Phil and Perry at this point. I did pretty well on the second lap. Then Perry decided to pass me on the third lap. I wanted to go faster, too, so I was worried passing me would effectively box me in. But I didn't have the energy to keep up with him entirely. I didn't get morally crushed, though, so that was a good thing. Phil then passed me. Darn it, all! I still wanted to go faster, though, so I tried to not let him go. I figured him passing me that early had to be more of a surge and not something he could maintain. Perry slowly pulled away. Phil pulled away and then evened out a bit. On the backstretch of the last lap I reeled Phil in a bit. If I had been feeling better I really should have just passed him by the curve and been done with it. But I guess I'm not in that kind of shape. I instead had to just hold on and hope that my kick would be better than his. I was the Leo Manzano of the day and managed to squeak into second with a strong final 100m.

Our times in the mile are so much slower than last year. I think Perry's results are the ones most worth examining, because his training has been the most consistent. Phil and I could be worse this year just because our training lately has been up and down. Perry has managed to come quite close to last year in the 3200, but not the mile. This says to me that the specific training we did last year for the mile helped prepare us much better for the event.

Durrr

Phil and Joe have said nothing to refute my theory that they and Perry were the only ones in the so-called race. Either that or all three of them shared a dismissive disdain for anyone else who might've been on the track (i.e., none were worth mentioning). I have gathered, though, that there were numerous others involved with various 100m runs.

philibusters

There were 10 people in the race.  Nobody else came close to breaking 6 minutes though, so among ourselves it felt like a three person race.

There were 10 people in the mile race.  I think Perry will end up posting results at some point (at least one person had said that they did not want results posted as it was a practice, but they changed their mind later).

Anyway, no real rain during the racing (a little sprinkle or so, but not much).  Perry and I were in a downpour on the way to the track and were not sure what was going to happen with the weather up until about 5.30pmish when Phil arrived.  We setup and planned to run.

Vic, Dave Walser, Liza, Maryhelen (and her 2 kids), and Jeanne all ran.  Ashley and I timed.  We tested out using hip numbers and getting splits on the time machine.  The splits work great if you only have 10 people.  The hip numbers, not so great, as they blew up and we had great difficulty reading them.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

We watched the W200 final last night, and I misremembered -- AF did not pull away with 30m to go, like I had said. In fact, it looked like SAFP was leading going into and through part of the straight, and I think it was only in maybe the last 20m that AF pulled away. But, she did win in 21.88, which is a very good 200m time, I think, over SAFP at 22.09.

Crystal and I had been debating the times, because watching the men's 200 semis, Crystal had observed that the women are only a second behind them, the men being in the 20s and the women in the 21s (she said). I disputed that, and Crystal pointed out that I said Felix had run 21-something in the final. Later we saw the W200 final, and the truth turned out to be in-between: Felix ran in the 21s (high), but everyone else was in the 22s (low).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Many results these indicates show that women perform about 10% less at an event than a man. It holds up in most measurements.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

letsrun article essentially calling the W1500 results a triumph of doping: http://tinyurl.com/9ozjg6d

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

Jinx posting! (Sort of.)