The League of Extraordinary Runners

Race Results (Read 2297 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Phil, race? Also, I hear Norfolk may be getting a lot of snow tonight.

Hey Phil, did you do that 50K?

I tried ringing your phone to ask you a couple times since, but never get you.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

Ah, I see that my old sort-of neighbor Elizabeth (who I used to almost collide with in the deep dark of the early morning around my old streets) was a Frozen Heart 2-lapper (Joe should not feel intimidated, though, as he finished almost 2 hours ahead of her).

philibusters

Hey Phil, did you do that 50K?

I tried ringing your phone to ask you a couple times since, but never get you.

Just saw this.  There was some confusion here.    The 50K I missed was in December.  The race last week was the 15 miler in the distance series that I told you aobut.

philibusters

Congrats to Perry on a strong race.  I think that bodes well for the marathon.  You have the speed, now you just need to execute and break 3 hours.

My race this weekend was a bit of a disappointment but my expectations were too high.  I raced a 20 miler the goal was 2:15 which is a 6:45 pace.  I felt okay the first four or so miles, but my mile 5 my legs were getting tired and I was a bit worried.  By miles 6 and 7 the legs were really tired.  Then we went into the open rather than being protected by trees and we had a headwind (not a true killer headwind, but substantial).  I immediately slowed down 20 seconds per mile as I had no power in my legs.  Talking to other running, they slowed down more like 12 or 13 seconds a mile.   Miles 8, 9, and 10 were a real struggle.  I just had no power in my legs.  Like a car out of fuel, the 50K had depleted my legs and they just would not go.  I barely broke 69 minutes for 10 miles and at that point, I am like there is no point to keep racing, I am way off my goal, my legs need recovery not to race 10 more miles.  Thus I slowed to a quicker easy pace for me and ran about four more miles until I hit a good point to drop out (some place within walking distance of the start, no point quitting when you are not close to the starting line.

I was disappointed.  I don't think my stock is down as others think.  I really think tired legs were the culprit here.  Yeah, this is definitely not a good sign, but I got one more hard week before the two week taper for the marathon.  I am not confident I will break 3:05 but I am still planning on racing the marathon to break 3:05 because I feel I have a realistic shot.

Grats to Perry! The 10 mile distance is pretty good for two weeks out from a marathon. He should recover all right.

As for Phil's race, I'm not surprised at all. I'm still recovering from the 21 miles I ran. My achilles is pretty bad off and I honestly shouldn't run the marathon, but I haven't completely written it off. I would have been very surprised if you bounced back so soon ready to tackle a 20 miler and then a marathon. The fact that you're running decently at all is pretty impressive. You just need to get fresh legs back.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Fortunately, your goal wasn't to peak this weekend, Phil Smile

Durrr

Phil, if I may speak frankly, you were a bit off your rocker these past 10 days. Scheduling a 50k in grueling conditions one Saturday and then a 20-mile the next Saturday would've been extreme enough, but then having a fairly significant week between those events with a big interval day thrown in? You gave yourself very little chance to perform well at the 20-miler. And then I'd say yesterday would've been a very valuable recovery day ... but you ran over 16 miles! To avoid showing up to the marathon burnt out or overtrained, you might want to consider my approach of doing a pseudo-taper week when 3 weeks out (e.g., for me last week was a decent week and included a big workout, but I cut my overall mileage down by 32 from the previous week) and then have 2 totally tapering weeks.

Where are the results for the RRCA 10-miler? Did Demers win? Is he running the marathon? At least I know that Perry pummeled his own LPR10 time yesterday (and got within 3 minutes of my 40-lap steady state from Thursday night ... interestingly enough, we had the same opening mile/1600 split).

philibusters

Alberto Salazar is a great coach, but he definitely is assertive in looking after his athlete's best interests.  I don't think he did anything wrong, but I think USTAF messed up signficiantly in not telling him to go away.

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2014/02/inside-story-gabriele-grunewalds-dq-insider-access-false-promises-violation-usatfs-rules/

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Where are the results for the RRCA 10-miler? Did Demers win? Is he running the marathon?...

He had cramps or something late in the race; he said he actually stepped aside out of the main course to not impede runners behind him. But he did finish - 28:04, 58:01 splits. (Looked it up).

I believe he is not running any marathons this year.

Karsten had a good race, I believe (28:46, 58:11).

I had a great race, I think.

philibusters

He had cramps or something late in the race; he said he actually stepped aside out of the main course to not impede runners behind him. But he did finish - 28:04, 58:01 splits. (Looked it up).

I believe he is not running any marathons this year.

Karsten had a good race, I believe (28:46, 58:11).

I had a great race, I think.

I agree you had a very good race.

I have no idea what is a good race for Karsten.  At his peak before the lyme's disease he had faster 10 milers (don't know his PR but it was probably in the 55's or 56's), but this is the best performance I have seen from him in a while.

Durrr

Uh, I don't think Brandon or Karsten paced themselves very well if they each ran their latter 5 miles in over 58 minutes.

philibusters

No offense to the ladies, but the men's race was more competitive.  DR's time of 2:49 roughly translate to 3:06 for a woman (add 10%), which would have won the woman's race easily.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

No offense to the ladies, but the men's race was more competitive.  DR's time of 2:49 roughly translate to 3:06 for a woman (add 10%), which would have won the woman's race easily.

Except it wouldn't have won it easily; Katie would have picked it up if she had competition. But still, you're right about where the times fell.

philibusters

Looking at your splits David, it looks like you ran a pretty smart race.  You hit the wall a little bit at the end, but 3 miles is not that bad.  Sometimes I think that is good to hit the wall near the end so you know you didn't leave anything out there.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

So how do I pace myself so I don't feel like I burned out well before mile 20?