The League of Extraordinary Runners

Race Results (Read 2297 times)

That's a very hard way to run a 1600. If you look at the events as intervals, though, then that's quite a workout you had!

Juneteenth 5k

20 June 2015

Lancaster Park

Back in May I ran a 5k on a relatively flat course. It just had one hill at the turnaround point. I ran that 5k in 21:23. I felt like I was moving quickly most of that race despite being fatigued and not as fast as I would like.

I had a different experience this weekend. I was pretty well rested, but have been running every other day at best. The course was slightly harder, but still fairly easy. I never felt like I was going fast. I had a decent start where my watch said 5:40 and I knew it was lying. Then at a mile it said 7:00 for my time and that didn’t seem right. When I hit two miles I showed 13:38 which seemed more believable. I got a cramp/side stitch from mile 2 until the finish. It was uncomfortable. According to my time, though, I didn’t fade much in the third mile. I ended up running 21:13, which is a time I’m not happy with considering how much progress I had been making in May before my injury, but at least I can say it’s faster than the last 5k I ran. That’s my silver lining.

I finished 3rd overall. I wish there had been a few more competitors in the field from the CBRC so I could compare my run that day with other known performers. I like to think I’m capable of faster, but my training doesn’t really indicate it. This is what I should have run. I could have seen high 20s on a cooler day maybe, so 21:13 seems right. I really hoped by now I would be threatening to break 20, so it’s a little discouraging to be this far off the mark.

I have three weeks to get in shape before Christina goes on vacation to Florida. In other words, I have two weeks to get in shape before I have two weeks where I can run without any worry for daily schedule conflicts. I was hoping to put in big weeks then, so how the next few weeks go will determine what I can realistically do once I have all that free time.

philibusters

Usually you are pretty conservative in your estimates Joe, so if you thought you could break 21 I am pretty sure you could have if things had gone like you hoped.

Factor in that the humidity was rather high that morning of Juneteenth.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

As indicated by my face I was dreading this race. I felt like a slug during my warmup. It was as if I feared smiling too much pre-race would even take energy away from my race. I like that picture, though. The fortunate thing is that I ran approximately what I should have, so despite struggling to warm up at a 10 minute pace and feeling very fatigued afterward I can't really complain about my performance. It's a better time than my most recent 5k predicts. I considered dropping out of the race during it, but consoled myself with a reminder that I probably don't feel worse than anyone else out there, so I just powered through it.

MTA:  My only claim to fame last night is that I sprinted the finish to hold off a surging kid (Joey Kosten).  I'm sure it helped my time, but also explains why I'm so fatigued now. That kid went on to easily win the 200m, so I consider it an achievement that I held him off.

MTA: The results for my heat of the 1500m are slightly off. I ran 5:38 and beat that kid with a lean.

Durrr

Phil, have I ever broken 2:30 in an 800 before? I don't think I have --- and thus last night's 2:31 may actually have been a PR (if only by a second or two). I surely would've broken 2:30 if I'd not run a hard 1500 shortly beforehand.

When me, Joe, and Perry were poised to commence the 1500, Liza remarked "only Phil is missing!"

philibusters

Phil, have I ever broken 2:30 in an 800 before? I don't think I have --- and thus last night's 2:31 may actually have been a PR (if only by a second or two). I surely would've broken 2:30 if I'd not run a hard 1500 shortly beforehand.

When me, Joe, and Perry were poised to commence the 1500, Liza remarked "only Phil is missing!"

Post HS I don't think you had.  In HS at some point, you very well may have run a sub 2:30 800 meters.

Its been a long time since the four of us have been in a race.  I wish I could have seen the 1500 last night.

The 800, which I did not run, was more entertaining. DR charged off with Paul on his heels. DR slowly pulled away. Perry meanwhile mounted a charge and was able to pass Paul in the last lap while gaining heavily on DR toward the finish. The truth is Perry ran dead-even splits, but DR and Paul ran positive splits to give Perry an impressive-looking finish.

philibusters

Yesterday was pretty hot.  While I don't think that has a big effect on the shorter races (the 100 meters and 200 meters) I feel it can change up the distance events including the 800 meters and mile.

Perry and DR, how were you legs for the 800 after the 1500.

For the Annapolis John Wall mile do they run the faster heats first or last?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

14:15 in Paris running away from Ayana, and then 3:54 today https://twitter.com/munoz_ivan77/status/618863538908569601/video/1

Geez, she is on fire in her outdoor season, finally.

youtube video, purpotedly

Yesterday was pretty hot.  While I don't think that has a big effect on the shorter races (the 100 meters and 200 meters) I feel it can change up the distance events including the 800 meters and mile.

The faster heats run last at the John Wall Mile.  The fastest and last heat is usually 5:30 and faster.

Durrr

I think the 1500 most definitely affected my performance in the 800. Though I was able to blast off at the beginning of the 800, by the start of the bell lap my legs were akin to dead weight --- and surely that was the result of having very recently run a hard 3.75-lap race. The 800 somehow almost felt longer than the 1500!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I felt good in the 800. The excitement of chasing and catching Paul Fagnano probably helped.

philibusters

Any reports of today's mile races?