The League of Extraordinary Runners

Shoebacca (Read 143 times)

Phil, I have to know what you thought of the Hoka One One Rapa Nui Trail shoes. I'm stunned that according to your log you wore the shoes once and then chose them for your 50 miler. They have a 5mm offset, so rather minimal despite the huge amount of protective cushioning. How did you fare? How do your calves feel?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

He wore them for half the run (I cannot remember which half). I guess RA does not support entering two pairs of shoes for the same run.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

philibusters

Phil, I have to know what you thought of the Hoka One One Rapa Nui Trail shoes. I'm stunned that according to your log you wore the shoes once and then chose them for your 50 miler. They have a 5mm offset, so rather minimal despite the huge amount of protective cushioning. How did you fare? How do your calves feel?

So for not responding earlier, I have been out on doing the Colonial Relay since April 30.  I didn't realize they only had a 5 mm offset, but I like them.  I did not have issues with forefoot striking (I think I mostly mid foot strike) because the shoes have a lot of foam and therefore are off the ground some and that makes the 5 mm drop work more like a 10 mm drop.  Calves were okay.  My quads and hamstrings got tight.

Perry is correct, I only wore them for the last 27.5 miles.   I wore a pair of Mizuno Wave Riders (13) for the first half.

I'm so happy to report that my log is up to date... because it means my shoe mileages are tallied! What shocks me is that my Brooks Launch feel surprisingly dead at 150 miles while my Brooks Glycerin feel surprisingly new at 150 miles. Both show wear in the sole of the lateral heel, but the Glycerin cushion has stayed true while the Launch has given up beneath the weight of my heavy foot.