The beautiful persons club

BP Training (Read 561 times)

The Greatest of All Time

Last weekend I got my CPR and First Aid certifications for the first time in over a decade. My have things changed. I didn't bother getting the defib cert though since I'm not going to buy one and likely won't have access to one anyway.
    I thought I saw a story recently that the effectiveness of portable defibs is almost nil.
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Bugs

I thought I saw a story recently that the effectiveness of portable defibs is almost nil.
      I blame some computer programmer who spends all her time on Internet forums.

Bugs

My legs are killing me

Bugs, don't use one on an animal. It's probably considered cruel. Big grin

Bugs

I seem to be ticking off a lot of people lately. Big grin

Bugs

I think that's cool, good to be a smart person. What made you decide to do it? You have many 911 moments in your network room at work? Once I fainted at work, and they were so glad I did not do it there this time.
            Having up to date CPR/FA is a requirement for keeping my coaching certification current through the RRCA.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Bugs

Was it not obvious the "back 40" was a joke? I blame da gol darn Fargo movie.

Bugs

My legs are killing me

I appreciate your lack of "political correctness". Big grin

Bugs

SOS! Need advice again. I have a 1 mile race on Thursday and key HM on 5/17. Anyone (like maybe Blaine) like to comment on my calendar and 'my' plan to miraculously run like the wind. I'm afraid the 12 LR is too much. I've ran two HMs before and I ran a 20 the week before with little to no taper before them. This resting for a HM is completely new to me. Hoping that with rest I can possibly PR. Thoughts on what to run between now and then?

Bugs

The Greatest of All Time

SOS! Need advice again. I have a 1 mile race on Thursday and key HM on 5/17. Anyone (like maybe Blaine) like to comment on my calendar and 'my' plan to miraculously run like the wind. I'm afraid the 12 LR is too much. I've ran two HMs before and I ran a 20 the week before with little to no taper before them. This resting for a HM is completely new to me. Hoping that with rest I can possibly PR. Thoughts on what to run between now and then?
                    Look at my two weeks leading up to April 5 and adjust as necessary. I went into that race a lot faster than I thought I was and could have ran <1:20 but i was really conservative. i had a lot more in the tank than i put out that day. but="" i="" was="" really="" conservative.="" i="" had="" a="" lot="" more="" in="" the="" tank="" than="" i="" put="" out="" that="" day.=""></1:20 but i was really conservative. i had a lot more in the tank than i put out that day. >

I think that your plan looks pretty good. I'd be tempted to move that last tempo workout up a day; if you are going to be carbo loading then you'll want 3 easy days leading into the race. It is good to have one early in the week, and Tuesday is normally the day I do my last "speed" workout before a Sunday race, but your race is on Saturday. I think that 12 miles should be fine the week before. I wouldn't go much further, but you ran 17 followed by an uptempo 8 miler the day after the week before. I'd keep today and tomorrow easy. I'd also swap the 15th/16th, because I hate not running the day before a race, but there's nothing wrong with taking a rest day if that's what you are used to. Just my own personal preference. All in all, it seems like a sensible build up to the half mary though.

Run to Win

Bugs

I think that your plan looks pretty good. I'd be tempted to move that last tempo workout up a day; if you are going to be carbo loading then you'll want 3 easy days leading into the race. It is good to have one early in the week, and Tuesday is normally the day I do my last "speed" workout before a Sunday race, but your race is on Saturday. I think that 12 miles should be fine the week before. I wouldn't go much further, but you ran 17 followed by an uptempo 8 miler the day after the week before. I'd keep today and tomorrow easy. I'd also swap the 15th/16th, because I hate not running the day before a race, but there's nothing wrong with taking a rest day if that's what you are used to. Just my own personal preference. All in all, it seems like a sensible build up to the half mary though.
                        Thank you!!! I went with all your changes. I also moved my LR to Friday for this week, because it is more convenient and thought it would give me an extra day between LR and race. I changed Saturday to 6. Is it OK to run 40 miles this week or should I taper starting this week?

Bugs

Thank you!!! I went with all your changes. I also moved my LR to Friday for this week, because it is more convenient and thought it would give me an extra day between LR and race. I changed Saturday to 6. Is it OK to run 40 miles this week or should I taper starting this week?
                          Well, your body isn't going to be adapted to 40 miles right now, more like 35-36, so I'd probably stick to running about that the week before unless you are training through. I wouldn't run less than 30-32 though. It could get you well rested, but it could also get you rusty.

Run to Win

The Greatest of All Time

Is it OK to run 40 miles this week or should I taper starting this week?
                            Why are you tapering for a HM out of curiosity? You shouldn't need to cut back much. Maybe lower intensity the last three days before the race, but don't slash like it's a full marathon. Jusy my $.02

Bugs

Why are you tapering for a HM out of curiosity? You shouldn't need to cut back much. Maybe lower intensity the last three days before the race, but don't slash like it's a full marathon. Jusy my $.02
                              I was trying to "cut-back" the week of race, not taper to have the best legs for race. The question is how much to cut-back and exactly when to start cutting back. I ran 40 miles last week, and was going to run 40 again this week, but with shorter LR. If I was training through for marathon, which I'm not I would run LR of 18 miles and run 43 miles this week. Then next week run 10 on Tuesday easy, and hardly anything Thursday and Friday. But not sure this is the best idea when the race is important, and it is.

Bugs

Bugs

Well, your body isn't going to be adapted to 40 miles right now, more like 35-36, so I'd probably stick to running about that the week before unless you are training through. I wouldn't run less than 30-32 though. It could get you well rested, but it could also get you rusty.
                                Just to be clear, I meant running 40 miles this week, right now it's 10 days to the race. The one mile race made the schedule hard because it's normally an 8 mile day. I know what you guys are saying about not wanting to rest too much. Both my HMs I felt great, despite lots of running before. I was fine with just a couple of easy days before, but maybe less miles before would have ran faster or slower. I don't know.

Bugs