Ultra Runners

Badwater (Read 686 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

No aid or support. This is close to a grand (just to register). You get a shirt.

There's a lot of chatter about runners doing solo runs because BW has gotten too big-time. 

BTW the live results feed is back up again as of 8:15 pm EDT.

MTA: Charlie Engle is running 135 miles inside Beckley Prison. 530 laps. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

Oswaldo hit Darwin (M90.1) at 15:43. Badwater tweets that he's 11 miles from Lone Pine right now (5:10a pacific time).

Sekiya went through Darwin at 15:18. I haven't seen a tweet about him wrt Lone Pine.

EDIT: Yes I have now: "At 4:37am #2 passed #86".  #2 is Lopez, #86 is Sekiya.

Zach doesn't have a check-in listed for Darwin yet.

Just for giggles, Wardian went through Darwin at 16:07.

I think Pam Reed's out.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Just for giggles, Wardian went through Darwin at 16:07.

I think Pam Reed's out.

Pam retired after the first check point I think. Wardian ain't outta this yet.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Zach doesn't have a check-in listed for Darwin yet.

17:14 - looks like he passed one and got passed by one.

DoppleBock

I always thought Zach was more of a go hard and hold on type guy - Winning from the front more than strategically holding back and pouncing.  So I would guess he is having a tough time?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Purdey

Self anointed title

I think so too. I reckon he would prefer to be closer to the leaders right now, but may have settled for a lower placed finish - which is still pretty awesome.

Kalsarikännit

Zach doesn't settle. If you look at any of the past years there is a ton of back-and-forth. While he usually goes out hard and hangs on in normal races, that hasn't happened here. He led middle/late two years ago, when he finished 3rd, and he traded off spots last year when he won.

The Farinazzo/Gingerich/Lopez show is always good, every year. This years twitter coverage is disappointing. Last year was fun, they talked to all the runners and would tweet little, funny quotes.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

Wardian is still very much in the mix too.

40+ miles to go.  LOTS can happen, nobody has settled.

Yeah, the twitter updates are sporadic and fuzzy.  For example, it was Lopez/Sekiyu/Wardian... and I think that's right still, but they have tweeted a couple times about Lopez and Wardian... and nothing about what's up with Sekiyu.

Or ladies.

DoppleBock

Hope you are right - I do not think he would give up - Just that he goes out hard ... I am not sure he takes it easy at any time with thoughts of crushing it at the end.  I think he is trying to crush it the whole way.  Your right it is a long race 

Zach doesn't settle. If you look at any of the past years there is a ton of back-and-forth. While he usually goes out hard and hangs on in normal races, that hasn't happened here. He led middle/late two years ago, when he finished 3rd, and he traded off spots last year when he won.

The Farinazzo/Gingerich/Lopez show is always good, every year. This years twitter coverage is disappointing. Last year was fun, they talked to all the runners and would tweet little, funny quotes.

DoppleBock

adventurecorps AdventureCORPS

Gingerich asked "Can I stake out and go to McDonalds for breakfast?" He is feeling good enough to joke around

You'll ruin your knees!

Too bad we couldn't watch more of it unfold on the web coverage... Congrats to the Badwater champ!

2 Oswaldo Lopez is the 2011 Badwater Champion with a time of 23:41:40

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Carl A

adventurecorps AdventureCORPS

Gingerich asked "Can I stake out and go to McDonalds for breakfast?" He is feeling good enough to joke around

I'd probably hit every McD's along that course.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

DoppleBock

With the absurd price of badwater - Why doesn't someone do a knockoff of the race a few weeks earlier or later - It seems like it is all on public roads and self supported?

Imminent Catastrophe

Permits, I guess. Death Valley is a National Park. 

MTA: Sub-24. Wow.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

DoppleBock

too bad - I would not mind trying it - But the cost is just stupid.  I would guess they used all the entry money on their powerful servers  to broadcast the race ...

Permits, I guess. Death Valley is a National Park.