Ultra Runners

Badwater (Read 686 times)

xor

At 9:55p pacific time:

"Amy Palmiero-Winters came running through Lone Pine with her carbon fiber prosthetic looking super focused."

Also, Smalcolm's runner is in at 37:20.

Believe

Ah, just to dream of doing this race!  Of course as been stated, even if I could my wife would never let me pay the entry fee.

Ahh I've survived. Crewing BW was quite the experience. I will have to write a lengthy blog about it. Our runner did very well for a rookie with an entirely rookie crew. In fact, only one of us had ever crewed/paced before. We had our share of mistakes, but I don't think we slowed her down at all. Here we are in action. Jess the runner in the blue shorts and I'm in the blue tank. I was pacing at this point and carrying a bunch of stuff. We muled for her a lot so pacing was more about keeping her eating/drinking/holding a lot of stuff than it was about running. I actually felt best when I was running with her. At times the heat got to me when in the crew van.

~Sara
        It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

You'll ruin your knees!

Not bad for a honey badger!  Big grin

Seriously, crew/pacing is such a key part of a runner's success... Very nice that you guys had a good experience.

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

xor

"I actually felt best when I was running with her. At times the heat got to me when in the crew van."

I was wondering about that.

How stinky was the van?

(not Van)

"I actually felt best when I was running with her. At times the heat got to me when in the crew van."

I was wondering about that.

How stinky was the van?

(not Van)

I felt a wee nauseous a couple times while crewing from the van, just prior to pacing, but I think it was more nerves/anxiousness. I felt great while running. I felt super cruddy the day after the race from being tired and probably dehydrated. Surprisingly the van and Van smelled great. We were literally opening every available door every 10 minutes so it stayed aired out. Surprised none of the doors fell off!

Some highlights:

Runner finishing strong and beating someone she really wanted to beat.

Leaving the scale on the side of the road. Ooops.

Wearing two different shoes the whole time (one narrow/one not).

Telling loud, dirty jokes on the climb up Whitney that other runners/crews got to enjoy as well.

Listening to Tina Fey's Bossypants on little speakers while climbing up Towne's Pass.

No puking by anyone!

Rubbing Desitin on runner's butt.

There are many more I am sure.

~Sara
              It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

xor

"Wearing two different shoes the whole time (one narrow/one not)."

You or Jess?  I'm guessing you.  If so, did this help with your blisters?

Desitin on runner's butt.  Oh my.

I puked once for y'all.

Purdey

Self anointed title

What is Desitin? Should I be getting it rubbed on my butt?

MTA: Never mind - I Googled it. My butt doesn't need it.

"Wearing two different shoes the whole time (one narrow/one not)."

You or Jess?  I'm guessing you.  If so, did this help with your blisters?

Desitin on runner's butt.  Oh my.

I puked once for y'all.

It was me. It luckily didn't cause any new blisters... was just uncomfortable.

The Desitin was for heat rash. Not fun for our runner.

~Sara

xor

Was the mismatched shoe thing a purposeful tactic? Or a packing fuck up?

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm thinking Delta lost his luggage.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

It was my fuck up of course.

~Sara

xor

It was my fuck up of course.

Sweet.

Imminent Catastrophe

Wardian just finished third.  26:22.  He was 1:20 behind Oswaldo at Lone Pine and finished about 2:40 behind.

And a week later runs a 3:15 marathon. Indoors.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Purdey

Self anointed title

And a week later runs a 3:15 marathon. Indoors.

Shit he's slow. Wink