Ultra Runners

April 2020 Ultra Training Thread (Read 31 times)

nOOky

30.17 miles for the week running. I went from one injury (right hammy) to an old friend PF in my left foot. I did manage 114.5 miles cycling including dusting the road bike off for 52 miles on my 52nd b-day Saturday. Total exercise time including hiking (I do a 1.2 mile steep 500 foot gain climb sometimes on my lunch break) was 13.5 hours which might explain why I'm still tired out despite not running as much.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Saw this story on BBC web site -- https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-52296313/coronavirus-army-veteran-tom-moore-finds-out-he-s-raised-5m-for-nhs

Even though it's not running, I thought it was inspiring, and it is kind of what ultra-running may be like in the twilight years Smile

Apologies for the drive-by posting again, guys.

PS: Personally I'm getting bored of just running my neighborhood, and miss group runs as well.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

nOOky

99% of us won't make it to 99 much less be able to do laps in the garden lol.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

That’s a great story. I hope if I make it to 99, I’m doing laps around the garden.

And TRT was just cancelled.  To no one's surprise.  At least not me.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

And TRT was just cancelled.  To no one's surprise.  At least not me.

Vermont 100, part of the Grand Slam, is canceled.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Tahoe rim trail canceled. Race is offering a 75% refund because they aren’t doing rollovers. I’m happy and sad at this point. Sad it was canceled and I won’t be able to suffer through it again. Happy because I’m not feeling 100% and I really thought I’d be getting 5-7,000 ft of vert a week plus TRX workouts at this point in training.

edit: I thought it would be after Memorial Day weekend when George called it. I’m expecting some normalcy after that weekend at this point.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

With WS already cancelled, I'm also wondering about Badwater.  The official NPS Death Valley NP website said all permits are cancelled.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

nOOky

With TRT being cancelled all's I have left on the schedule is Mountain Lakes 100 and a small local race. I have guaranteed entry into CCC next year, provided I accumulate enough points this year. Looks like it will be tough to get enough points even, I'll have to delve into it more closely today to see what I can do.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

RWD

I might do Storm the Farm, nooky. I thought about it last year but didn't want to spend the money. The RDs are so nice!

nOOky

It was tough, it was a hot day last year. The wife is bumping up to the 43k since Tahoe is no longer the week before. You might enjoy it, there is beer at the end

I might do Storm the Farm, nooky. I thought about it last year but didn't want to spend the money. The RDs are so nice!

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

I did the Virtual Pandemic 6-hour run today.  Finished with 32.8 miles, a PR for a 6-hour race (which I don't do very many of, so a PR wasn't too hard to do).   A lot of flat pavement running, oof.  Glad that I started early so I could be off the path before the afternoon crowd arrives.   Even though people aren't supposed to drive from their homes for recreation, all beach parking lots are closed, and we're supposed to stay within 5 miles of home when exercising,  people are clearly not complying with that order.  

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

holy crap i missed a lot forgetting to switch to the april thread. duh. ive been going to "my topics" instead of through user groups. i though everyone was depressed and gone! i was just talking to Commander keen who apparently did the same thing? anyway thanks Gatsby these kinds of things will only get worse as i age i am afraid. here's my last post from today:

Commander, nice week.

where is everybody? hope you all can get out. it's challenging i know. there are signs at the park now threatening to re close the park like they did last weekend but i have been running with a buff over my face and considering it base building plus some of the roads are closed. went for a long ride yesterday and hardly any people on the trail on a sunny day it was awesome and then i saw the trail closed sign already on my way back. never did get that bike trainer. was close but then i got to the shipping page. performance bike gouging on the shipping if i want it within weeks, so i said screw it. got 81M and over 5k vert on the bike so far this week running will be around 45 if i get out tomorrow so i am happy to have had a big week at least for me.

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Our parks have been closed for a few weeks because as soon as people were told to stay home, they all suddenly decided that they loved nature and had to go to a park.

RWD

I went to this park that I hate for a run today. I don't know why I go there, except because I expect to be able to get in decent mileage (they host an ultra there so it's possible). Generally I hate going there because a lot of the trails are grassy (and the grass gets LONG) and there are lots of flies, but it's too early for flies. There were a lot of people there - more than I've ever seen outside of a race - and more importantly they were all in groups, so there was a lot of stopping and waiting at points where we'd have to pass too close (bridges, muddy crossings, etc) AND a bunch of the trails were closed for seemingly no reason. So I hit every section at least once if not twice or 3x and still only got 7.5 miles. It's also very hilly so there's not really anywhere to just run for a few minutes. (The sections that are flatter were all closed, yay.) Why do I never learn my lesson and keep going back to this stupid trail?

skim1124

Running to eat

Another 65-mile week on paved and unpaved roads.  Now enjoying the quiet, rural roads of Northwest Iowa.  Don't know how motivated I'll be to keep this kind of mileage up if my October race gets canceled.

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)