Ultra Runners

August 2021 Ultra Training Thread (Read 15 times)

nOOky

That sux Krash, hope you get through it fairly quickly. Are you having those symptoms despite being vaccinated? We leave for our trip tomorrow, I can't wait to get through the day here at work. Some of my co-workers are unvaccinated and went to Sturgis, now two people they work with as well as themselves have it, and I was talking to the one guy after he got back.

Even though I am vaccinated, one positive test could literally wipe out the entire trip for us if we have to quarantine over there.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Another fun week. Finished up with 74 miles and 11k vert. Big run weekend. Started Friday night at about 6 pm and ran till 1:30 am for 27 miles and 5,500 ft vert.  Training is going great.

Started with a sore throat and head cold Friday morning. Got worse during my run.  Had a hard time climbing at 9-10k ft elevation. Then got chills and a fever mid day Saturday. Got myself tested.  Turns out I have Covid. Don't know where I got it. Yes, I do work in a hospital and it's possible I got it there. But less likely with all the surgical gear I wear. I will take a few days off of running. The body is week.  I hope this doesn't mess up my training and I can get my energy back.

Be safe and wash your hands. It is scary that one can be very careful and still get Covid.

sorry to hear that, take care. let us know how you are doing. wash your hands indeed! i teach MA students and that's the hardest thing to get them to do!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Pain is my friend

I am feeling tons better now. But running is now was it was last week. I will take it easy building back up.

Got my invite to Bear 100.  As long as recovery goes well I will run it.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Krash, glad that you are on the road to recovery from the bug.  It seems to affect everyone differently, but hopefully you'll be feeling like your usually awesome self soon.

I think nOOky was going to run UTMB CCC today?  I haven't followed what happened after the death at the TDS.  So sad.  The comments on irunfar made it sound like a real cluster*** after it happened.  Also sounded like that course was prone so some bad bottlenecks and pics made it look like the conga line ascending Everest from a couple years ago.  Ugh.  Why start the race late in the afternoon so people are on the most treacherous parts in the dark?

Anyway.  I hope nOOky got there safely and things went okay.

I'm just sort of coasting along.  Supposed to do a 50k in OR in 2 weeks, Mckenzie River, btw Eugene and Bend.  Deciding whether to take the rollover option.  A chunk of the course was damaged by fire, so it's now a series of out and backs.  Plus there are increased covid restrictions in OR so more masks required.  The latter is not that concerning, but I'm not thrilled about dealing with all the out and backs on single track... a lot of passing and being passed under awkward conditions.   What to do...

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Krash, glad you are better!

Gatsby, i know what you mean about onb's and constantly contending with other runners on a single track. even on the best courses (white river, mt lakes etc) ive had to deal with that. everyone moves for the fastest runners and then when i come through no one moves and it turns out to be who is more beta and if someone is more beta than me it's kinda funny ("after you"..."no after you"). one thing i like about pandemic races though is wave starts. if they are using a computer or chips why not?

50M for me this week. stay safe people!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

berylrunner

Rick

Hey all.  I am still around.  Been reading the posts.  It as been a crazy work summer.  Not much running going on.  I have a last one standing event this weekend.  No goal, just one lap at a time.  Marathon is in a month.  With my lack of training, it will be a fun run also.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100 - 29:38, 18th place

Hey Beryl!  Have fun this weekend.  The one and only LMS race that I did was April last year, the virtual one that 1000s of people did around the world at the start of the pandemic.  Sort of surreal at the time but fun in its own way. 

Alan, the out-and-back dilemma is real. I think I have a small advantage bc I’m an older female. No one want to push an old lady out of the way. 

I decided to defer the OR race. And now, nothing on my calendar.   Eyeing Napa Valley 50k in November, but no rush to sign up, a small local race at a bad time of year. I can decide later. 

Lots of repercussions from the Caldor fire near Tahoe.   Races cancelled too, not surprisingly.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR