Ultra Runners

Ice Age 50M (Read 1630 times)

DoppleBock

I carry a handheld and mix h20 from aide stations with Endurox from a snack sized baggy

Last time I ran it - I only used one handheld - no camelback and was fine

This time there are a lot more runner in it.  I have not decided yet for sure - I hust like the camelback because I can take gels/s-caps at my leisure in exact time intervals.

I'm really curious also.  Why do you guys even need a camelback?  Except for an early one that is 5 miles it looks like 4 miles is about the longest distance between aid stations and most are 2-3 miles away.  I'm thinking just one handheld would be fine.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

jjameson

I just like the Camelback, no other reason.  I never got used to handhelds and I don't like waistpacks.  I've used my camelback so much I don't notice it at all, even when it is full.  The upside is I don't have to stop at aid stations.  The downside is I'm usually carrying more liquids than the runners around me. 

On another note:  I'm not sure I want to see all #220 of Dopple Bock in tight shorts either!!

DoppleBock

I am with you on camelback - I wear one for any runs > 10 miles - It does cause some chaffing after 4 or 5 hours - but tolerable.

God I hope I can weigh that little for Ice Age - Trust me when Dopplebock gets all that fat moving downhill, you do not want to be in my way - I'm gonna steamroll someone.  

To me staying fully hydrated is worth carrying 3-4 extra pounds on my back - Plus it's wear I keep the toilet paper (just in case)

I just like the Camelback, no other reason.  I never got used to handhelds and I don't like waistpacks.  I've used my camelback so much I don't notice it at all, even when it is full.  The upside is I don't have to stop at aid stations.  The downside is I'm usually carrying more liquids than the runners around me. 

On another note:  I'm not sure I want to see all #220 of Dopple Bock in tight shorts either!!

jjameson

Ran 2+ hours today on hilly trails.  My legs are crying uncle.  They need a break.  I'm officially starting some kind of taper.  I'm not sure exactly how to do it but I'm going to run less the next 10 days.  Probably take the next 2 days off then something easy this weekend, say a 15 and a 5, then not much next week.  I feel fortunate not to have any injuries this spring and I don't want to push my luck.

Probably will increase my bourbon consumption.

DoppleBock

taper smaper

DoppleBock

I have update my blog with thoughts on the men's side of the race -

Good stuff DB!  I was going to put Zack as number one, but you raise some good points.  Being a flatlander from IL though, I am still rooting for him.  I heard about this one guy from WI who ran Ice Age in 7:30 and then ran a 2:45 marathon a couple of weeks later so anything is possible Big grin

One thing that has crossed my mind on multiple occasions after having run a few narrow parts of Ice Age is how this out and back thing will work with the leaders and even front runners.   With 600 people on the trail, isn't this going to get crazy?  I would assume trail etiquette is to get out of the way of faster runners, but we all know that doesn't happen in road races.

The rest of my training will look like:  8,10,14,8 this week.  Next week I fly out to Manhattan for a couple days, but I'm going to try to get in 20-30 depending on whether I am working 14 hour days or not...

I have update my blog with thoughts on the men's side of the race -

jjameson

Yeah, I've been curious about passing hundreds of runners also.  Some parts of the trail are wider than others.  Situation could get sticky in a couple of areas, ie passing a train of 10-15 runners going the opposite direction.

jjameson

Men:  Gingrich, Redpath, Gardner

DoppleBock

In 2009 when I ran - I think I was in 20-25 place at 1st out and back.  I felt it my responsibility to yield to the people ahead of me - A few scratches from the briars, but not bad.  After I turned around I did my best to work with the people I met.

That year there was 209 50 mile finishers

This year 205 are signed up - So say 275 show up and finish - So a 30-35%  increase

It will cause more issues

Nordic Loop - Very wide - 1st 9-10 miles it is N/A

1st out and back is the worst - Both from a narrow standpoint and traffic level

2nd out and back is a little wide / less briars and the field will be really spreadout - If you finish 8:00ish you will not see 20-30% of the field (slower than you)

It has also entered my mind - I hate to not follow my "Best" pacing strategy. but I may go out a little harder than 80-82 minutes for the nordic loop to get ahead of a few people before single track starts

Yeah, I've been curious about passing hundreds of runners also.  Some parts of the trail are wider than others.  Situation could get sticky in a couple of areas, ie passing a train of 10-15 runners going the opposite direction.

DoppleBock

I am targeting 130-150 miles this week - So I meant taper smaper ... I will run @ 50 miles next week pre-race.

Tonight will be my last bigger hill workout.

DoppleBock

Not sure how these studs race with no time off or 1 week between races - But I found an entrant list for Miwok 100k and Glen Redpath was on it - Very competetive field.

I have done a couple races within 2 weeks of each other and my legs are never strong the 2nd race.

jjameson

I am targeting 130-150 miles this week - So I meant taper smaper ... I will run @ 50 miles next week pre-race.

Tonight will be my last bigger hill workout.

I know you are trying to tempt me into doing more running than my body will accept, based on my training this year.  I'm really geeked about this thing but I won't fall for your infantile efforts to entice me back out to the trail until I've consolidated my training ie. done my taper.  Nice try.

If I had a rough idea of what percentage of crash and burn early runners there were it might influence how fast I went out, i.e. if there are only 20 runners going at a 9 minute or less pace an 90% will maintain it, I would have no problem just trying to stick with that the whole time (assuming some extra time for walking hills and aid stations).  OTOH if 40 runners will go out at 9:00 pace and 40% will slow down after 15 miles, then I would probably gamble on going out closer to an 8:30.

It has also entered my mind - I hate to not follow my "Best" pacing strategy. but I may go out a little harder than 80-82 minutes for the nordic loop to get ahead of a few people before single track starts

Yeah, I'm feeling like a wimp already for only planning to run 70 miles this week.  My injury is telling me to back off even more, and I may just listen as I feel like it's plateaued.  Not getting worse, but not getting much better.  If I can't get past 16 miles without pain, well it's going to be a very long 50...

I know you are trying to tempt me into doing more running than my body will accept, based on my training this year.  I'm really geeked about this thing but I won't fall for your infantile efforts to entice me back out to the trail until I've consolidated my training ie. done my taper.  Nice try.