Ultra Runners

Ten Ways NOT to Answer Job Interview Questions About Trail Running (Read 799 times)

Kalsarikännit

This is from Scott Dunlap's A Trail Runner blog.  It is pretty darn funny.  (In other news, I'm writing in blue and I don't know why, but you won't catch me complaining).  Enjoy.

Ten Ways NOT to Answer Job Interview Questions About Trail Running

So, I've been doing some job interviews lately (fun!). The good news is that there is a ton of great innovation happening in Silicon Valley, lots of great career avenues to explore, and I'm meeting really interesting people. The bad news is that I have to INTERVIEW. Ugh.

I had forgotten how the preposterous-but-necessary act of summarizing your life history and goals into little sound bites, interview after interview, makes you begin to hate your cliched self. I swear to God, I'm an inch away from replying "I'm a people person" to every question, accepting my inevitable assimilation into the lowest level of Interview Hell. Lord, just kill me now.

Luckily you can't Google my name without hitting this blog, which will inevitably bring the question, "So, what's the deal with all that trail and ultrarunning stuff? Why do you do it?".

With that, I give you:

Ten Ways To NOT Answer a Job Interview Question About Trail Running

1. It's the only thing that keeps the voices in my head to a dull roar.

My Narcotics Anonymous sponsor said to find a hobby that keeps me as far away from crack houses as possible.

3. Because it's XTREME with a CAPITAL 'X', MOTHER F#$KER!!! I tried Ironman, but those pussies quit at midnight. I have more iron in my morning shit than those posers have on race day. And nothing gets my blood boiling like f'ing posers!

4. I like to be inaccessible for long periods of time. You know, get off the grid and really question whether applying my skills to help rich, shallow women buy handbags is the best contribution to the planet.

5. So I can laugh ever time my boss says "this is a marathon, not a sprint". A marathon is a sprint, you dumb ass.

6. It's a great way to talk to women. If you see a hot chick, just slow to their speed and they will be forced to listen to you for hours. And you don't even have to buy her a drink! Well worth the $35 entry fee.

7. Because working in a cube makes me feel like a caged animal. It's either trail running or gnawing off my own leg by lunchtime.

8. Honestly, I just like to pee in the woods. Thank God there is a sport that makes this socially acceptable.

9. Look at this belt buckle...BOO-YAH! Do I need to say anything else?

10. What good is a health plan if you don't test its limits with some rhabdo/kidney failure on a regular basis? Nothing says "pooled risk" better than getting two weeks of dialysis on a $10 co-pay.

11. I like coming to work every day battered and bruised like I joined the Fight Club. People don't fuck with me. Cause they know if they do, then this button-down, Oxford-cloth psycho might just snap, and then stalk from office to office with an Armalite AR-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon, pumping round after round into colleagues and co-workers. This might be someone you've known for years. Someone very, very close to you. (this is a movie quote, btw)

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Imminent Catastrophe

"A marathon is a sprint, you dumb ass."

Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Love it.  #9 is my favorite.

Guy I used to work with wore is <25 hour Pb100 buckle once a week to work Smile

• Black Canyon 100k
        • RRR
        • Zane Grey 100k
        • High Lonesome 100
        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
        • The Bear 100
        • Javelina Jundred (?)

Kalsarikännit

I don't like number six. SLOW to their speed? Please.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Love it.  #9 is my favorite.

Guy I used to work with wore is <25 hour Pb100 buckle once a week to work Smile

If I ever get one of those (and it certainly won't be this year!) I will wear it to work. Probably only once. But it will go down a storm in the British Ministry of Defence - they love shit like that.

When we were going through airport security yesterday the TSA officer was asking us to make sure we remove belt buckles prior to going to the screeing.  My kids giggled for hours about it.

They also said I should wear it to work. 

Kalsarikännit

A1 has a really, really cool story involving and ultra and the TSA. Unfortunately, it would require him to type more than six words, so he prob won't share it.

You'll ruin your knees!

TSA once went through my carry-on bag filled with post-hunnerd mile clothes (red-eye back home after race)... Shocked

...they were neither impressed nor amused.  It was not pretty...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

xor

TSA once went through my carry-on bag filled with post-hunnerd mile clothes (red-eye back home after race)... Shocked

...they were neither impressed nor amused.  It was not pretty...

Yeah, they've done that to me too (post double marathon, no 100).

"Sir, we need to look through your bag. Do we have your permission?"

"Oh yes. Go right ahead."

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

"A marathon is a sprint, you dumb ass."

Big grin

+1

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I packed all my drink mix  in individual serving ziploc bags and put them in my checked bag for the trip out to Tahoe. I was paranoid that they wouldn't make it.

"I swear, officer, this is a carb/protein drink mix."

The King of Beasts

A1 has a really, really cool story involving and ultra and the TSA. Unfortunately, it would require him to type more than six words, so he prob won't share it.

I flew in to race in North Carolina @ Umstead. a well organized race by the way. anyway.

I am flying back and just throw everything into my checked bag. 12 bottles of pills, 27 2oz packets of "something," some dirty shoes and the clothes I raced in - with the bib still pinned on my shirt . I never changed anything during the race so the clothes were quite stinky.

I get back to Nashville and open my bag and I see the little official letter from the TSA saying that my bag had been searched. No suprise. but there was a note written on the side "100 Miles WTG Awesome"

I still have that note and keep it with all my numbers cause I am a huge dork.

mta: i cant spell goud

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

That is very cool, actually. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

You'll ruin your knees!

with the bib still pinned on my shit . 

heh... do standard safety pins work for that? 

Cool on the note!

MTA: I did not edit A1's post!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Purdey

Self anointed title

"100 Miles WTG Awesome"

If only they knew how damn fast you ran it.