Ultra Runners

kettle 100 (Read 52 times)

jjameson

Flatlander takes second in Kettle 100 with a strong finish  (behind Jim Sweeney)

JohnMaas takes fifth

Congrats

Thanks Joe!  My goal was sub 18.  Before yesterday race I could not imagine going under 17 on this course.  During the cool of the morning and even up until about 2:00 when the sun really started to bake into the dirt like a kiln , I realized with perfect weather (10 degrees cooler than yesterday) it is achievable.

Oh well.  I'm really happy with my race, I struggled a lot with the heat but instead of continuing to try to push through it like last year which ended up ruining my race, I backed off and hoped that once my core cooled down I could really run.  It worked out.

You should have seen Jim Sweeney running out there.  He was on all day and just killed it.  I have no idea how he was able to handle the temps as well as he did.

DoppleBock

Yeehaa!  Kicking ass - Great race.

John Mass might be an old man, but he is a gritty, farming, tough as nails old man!

Thanks Joe!  My goal was sub 18.  Before yesterday race I could not imagine going under 17 on this course.  During the cool of the morning and even up until about 2:00 when the sun really started to bake into the dirt like a kiln , I realized with perfect weather (10 degrees cooler than yesterday) it is achievable.

Oh well.  I'm really happy with my race, I struggled a lot with the heat but instead of continuing to try to push through it like last year which ended up ruining my race, I backed off and hoped that once my core cooled down I could really run.  It worked out.

You should have seen Jim Sweeney running out there.  He was on all day and just killed it.  I have no idea how he was able to handle the temps as well as he did.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

John Mass might be an old man, but he is a gritty, farming, tough as nails old man!

John Maas did awesome.  He worked his way up the field all day and night and had a really impressive finish, especially despite the fact that the high temps did not appear that brutal, it was really bad in the woods.  Who ever came up with the idea to run this 100 miler in June was smoking crack.  This course could be so much more fun in April or May.

Good to hear from you - Joe and Dopple and Flatfooter - just happened across this thread.

Thanks for the kind words.  Flatfooter looked strong out there and ran a very smart race.  Sweeney was just solid all the way through - nothing seemed to affect him.  This year was somewhat cooler than most years, contributing to a higher finish rate.

One guy who just kicked my butt this year was Todd Nott -  an age group rival of mine.  He hammered out a solid AG course record and 3rd OA behind Flatfooter.  I'm sure Flatfooter got to run quite a few miles with him.  Lots of tough runners out there this year.