Ultra Runners

September 2020 Ultra Training Thread (Read 25 times)

50 miles last week.  Should have been a bit more but I skipped yesterday's run due to heat (90 on the coast!) plus smoke and unsafe AQ.  The worst of the smoke seems to be from the Creek fire, south of Yosemite, which has burned almost 79000 acres and is 0% contained. Smoke is apparently drifting up the central valley and across the SF Bay Area.  

Did 11 miles today before the heat and smoke got too bad.  Not sure how much I'll be running this week with these crappy conditions.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Pain is my friend

Rocked last week with 77 miles and 5k vert.  My long run was on a rolling dirt road. 28.5 miles at 8:15 pace. The road was at 6,000 ft. I felt the strain on the body. One of my hardest long runs. 

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Gatsby I hear ya on the smoke! ours just arrived today. we were lucky this year not to have much until now. hope it blows away soon. eastern WA seeing some ca-style firestorms.

just signed up for cougar mt 50k Oct 25th so now i have something to work towards!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

qotd: after doing heavy heavy mileage all summer but not much else what should i work on prior to a race in 6 weeks? steady state? strengthening with more workouts? hills? still have a nagging issue that may decide for me but would like to hear what others would do. course has 7200' vert according to website

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

ok never mind, race cancelled 2 days after signing up. so smoky here now too! not even going outside today. that smoke plume from OR & Cal is insane!

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

skim1124

Running to eat

75 miles this week in Illinois.  Feeling good.  Calf feels perfectly normal even at ~8 min/mile pace.  I have one long run left next Tuesday, and after that, it's an 18-day taper until the 100-mile attempt.

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)

ok never mind, race cancelled 2 days after signing up. so smoky here now too! not even going outside today. that smoke plume from OR & Cal is insane!

And it’s still smoky here in CA too. AQ has been crap, around 200, since Wednesday.  Which is the last time that I was able to run. I wish I had a TM!  Wondering if my race in OR will go forward on 10/17. It’s on the Rigue River, which doesn’t look very far from the Rogue Valley fires.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

And it’s still smoky here in CA too. AQ has been crap, around 200, since Wednesday.  Which is the last time that I was able to run. I wish I had a TM!  Wondering if my race in OR will go forward on 10/17. It’s on the Rigue River, which doesn’t look very far from the Rogue Valley fires.

i hope your Ore race goes on. that area is so nice id like to live there...or once did. the wet weather that was expected for us might take a bit longer like Thurs or Friday.

i decided to take a 'smoke break' too. aqi is very patchy stations around here vary from 170 to over 200, i think it's low lying areas that are the worst like fog. probably good for me since ive been battling a weird hip thing. it feels almost like a stress reaction but is probably a ligament. will hear about a possible new job tomorrow which may also require my attention in a good way Smile

the race that was cancelled was the same group that sends the refund via cash app so i bought more bitcoin (sats) with it. if it grows i will pay it forward next year!

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Pain is my friend

Last week was a strong week for me. 84.5 miles and almost 10k vert.  Another 28 mile long run. Not as fast as last week but I had someone to run with this time. "If you want to run fast, run alone. If you want to have fun, run with a friend".

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

drock69

Like others on the west coast, we've been plagued by smoke. I got a good 11 hour hike last week between smoky days with a friend up to Coliseum Mountain. I attempted it last year, but ran into a bear near the top and turned back. The start and end of the route is pretty flat and the middle is steep, around 40% for 2 or 3 kms. I felt a bit warm after the 10km run to the trail head, mostly on pavement, so the climb was really slow. I wish I would have swum in the tarn at the top, was worried about chaffing and I don't think my friend would have appreciated me skinny dipping. No running this week, smoke has been terrible and my hip and glute have been hurting since the hike last week

Coliseum Mountain

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

Purdey

Self anointed title

130 mi for me last week (back to back 40mi + over the weekend).  Struggling with a smashed up big toenail this week (rock strike halfway through Day 1 of weekend runs..).  Legs felt great, and my fastest miles were the last 3 on Day 2 of the back to back - got to be a good sign.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

130 mi for me last week (back to back 40mi + over the weekend).  Struggling with a smashed up big toenail this week (rock strike halfway through Day 1 of weekend runs..).  Legs felt great, and my fastest miles were the last 3 on Day 2 of the back to back - got to be a good sign.

b2b 40's is 100M training stuff! do you have a goal event?

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

got a new job and it totally messed up my schedule. have been commuting by bike and riding a lot more than running but the hip is worse. not sure what to do. was thinking maybe a long reset but the less i run the worse it feels when i do run. i think it is the adductor magnus where it attaches to the ischial tuberosity (sit bone) advice welcome and needed! 😢

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Purdey

Self anointed title

b2b 40's is 100M training stuff! do you have a goal event?

Sort of.  I'm running a 50 mi trail race mid Nov with a lot of vert, but that is really just a qualifier for the 100 mi I want to do next year (South Downs Way 100 in the UK).  Also going to be attempting some FKTs in the meantime.

skim1124

Running to eat

Finished a 70-mile week.  Ran 50 miles on Thursday and finished feeling pretty good; the cooler weather definitely helped.  So I'm officially in taper mode until my 100-mile attempt probably on October 3 in Michigan.  I'll start a thread soon sharing my thoughts on the 100-miler and asking for your advice.

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)