Ultra Runners

24-hour World Championships (Read 82 times)

bhearn

Are going on right now in Turin, about 8 hours in. Our women's team this year is unbelievably strong; they would have to be heavy favorites.

Live splits here (select Mondiale24H in the Race popup):

https://www.mysdam.net/events/event/results_31131.do

More coverage here:

https://www.facebook.com/US24HR

Each team (male and female) has up to six members; the fastest three score for their country. Fastest combined scoring time wins. Most of you remember DoppleBock being on the team that took bronze in 2010. I think he finished second on the team, behind Jurek.

Our women's team are the defending gold-medal champions. The men's team also took gold last time, but they have more competition this time.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks.

steph  

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It's kind of cool that I've finally been around ultra running long enough to have met some of the team members.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bhearn

Out of both teams I've only met Traci Falbo. But 5/6 of the women's team are also running the Spartathlon this fall; I'll meet them there.

What an amazing race! Congratulations Team USA.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            bhearn

Congratulations, team!

Women place 1, 2, and 4, for a completely dominant performance, and team gold, for the second WC in a row. The men were solid, moving up the ranks throughout the day, finishing in 4th.  A little longer and they would have caught Germany for bronze. Men's favorites Russia and Japan both led early but were already fading by midday. The men's UK team handily won in the end.

DoppleBock

THis conversion to miles was nice

Interesting race - I see the women had 3 with huge results, but a great void between #3 and #4.  It is often the 3rd and 4th place people from 12-18 hours into the race for a country that end up making the differnece ... You cannot win a medal (any color) without a stong 3rd place.

The men - They are also missing that 3rd 150 mile scorer to have a top 3 medal - But I will say thqt Harvey Lewis has turned into MR Reliable ... turning in great performances on a pretty consistent basis.

Congratulations, team!

Women place 1, 2, and 4, for a com - pletely dominant performance, and team gold, for the second WC in a row. The men were solid, moving up the ranks throughout the day, finishing in 4th.  A little longer and they would have caught Germany for bronze. Men's favorites Russia and Japan both led early but were already fading by midday. The men's UK team handily won in the end.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I would like to note Mr Hearn turned in a solid 24 hour performace that met thje minimum qualifying disrance and would have been enough to make some prior year teams.

I also believe that this was his 1st attempt at 24 ... so Mr Hearn do you have any 2015 plans to roll the 24 dice again?

bhearn

Interesting race - I see the women had 3 with huge results, but a great void between #3 and #4.  It is often the 3rd and 4th place people from 12-18 hours into the race for a country that end up making the differnece ... You cannot win a medal (any color) without a stong 3rd place.

Nagy and Falbo lived up to their very high expectations. The big surprise was Aly Venti fading; I haven't heard what the issue was. Her history is pretty phenomenal. Check out her ultrasignup results. She's won every ultra she's entered, most of them outright. I have heard she trains at 200+ mpw. Fortunately Guterl was able to step it up in a big way.

The men - They are also missing that 3rd 150 mile scorer to have a top 3 medal - But I will say thqt Harvey Lewis has turned into MR Reliable ... turning in great performances on a pretty consistent basis.

Big PR for Riopel. But yeah, some of the others did not perform at the level they qualified at. Some days it's just not your day. Even without a strong 3rd place it was almost good enough to medal.

bhearn

I would like to note Mr Hearn turned in a solid 24 hour performace that met thje minimum qualifying disrance and would have been enough to make some prior year teams.

I also believe that this was his 1st attempt at 24 ... so Mr Hearn do you have any 2015 plans to roll the 24 dice again?

Thanks DB.

I'm signed up for Dawn to Dusk to Dawn at the end of May, but may or may not run it. It won't be a team qualifier anyway -- Worlds are going to every other year, so it would be outside the 18-month qualifying window.

I do plan to run Desert Solstice in December and try hard to qualify there for 2017.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thanks DB.

I'm signed up for Dawn to Dusk to Dawn at the end of May, but may or may not run it. It won't be a team qualifier anyway -- Worlds are going to every other year, so it would be outside the 18-month qualifying window.

I do plan to run Desert Solstice in December and try hard to qualify there for 2017.

I'm hoping you do come to run D2D2D. I'll be running the 50K, then hanging around to help out wherever Bill can use me. Will also be available to pace slower runners and crew.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bhearn

Good for you. Maybe see you there. Kind of depends on Boston. I have a goal marathon planned for mid-June -- last PR was two years ago, and at 49, I only have so many opportunities left. This would conflict with D3.

But if conditions are good at Boston I may try to PR there; then D3 would win over the June marathon. I don't think I'm really in PR shape right now, and it's looking like we may have a big headwind, so I'm not optimistic.

npaden

Where are you thinking about trying to PR in a June marathon?

I'm thinking about trying to turn my 50 mile training into a BQ marathon attempt in late May or June, but haven't found a good PR type course to attempt it on.  Weather can be a huge factor for me and I will need some cool temperatures to pull it off.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

bhearn

Where are you thinking about trying to PR in a June marathon?

I'm thinking about trying to turn my 50 mile training into a BQ marathon attempt in late May or June, but haven't found a good PR type course to attempt it on.  Weather can be a huge factor for me and I will need some cool temperatures to pull it off.

Light at the End of the Tunnel, in WA. But it filled instantly, so you're out of luck there I'm afraid.

DoppleBock

So is the Q window July 2015 - December 2017?

I used to be able to whip myself into great shape in 3-6 months.  Now I need to fix my back and hip and spend at least 1 year to 18 months before I would even attempt a 24 hour race.  It is a super long shot I can get my physical issues taken care of and even longer shot that I will ever want to dedicate more than a handful of hours to the sport per week.

Even in my best shape and if everything went perfectly I do not know if I could have cracked 250 KM - I am not sure what it will take, but if interest is high, likely 240-250KM range to make the team.  But you never know.