Ultra Runners

2012 US National Championship Team (Read 2305 times)

Good running Buzzie, Murphy, and cpev!

~Sara
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

DoppleBock

Wow - just rejoined civilization - Nice race results

I am so happy for Sabrina

To be record elgible you have to have 2 forms of lap counting - So they should be able to go to the back up count source.  It can be a video tape of all 24 hours of the mat ... I would think they would have it covered

FANS has a tally count of each lap and someone that types in the race numbers as people go by into a computer - It time stamps when someone hits enter ... 2 forms of indipendent counting.

I may be wrong - But this is my understanding

It seemed that they has issues other years to?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

This was my most recent blog post - Athough I know nothing about how the race unfolded - I am psyced for the current strength of US runners in the 24 hour race - So I had to post about it.

Some big numbers put up at North Coast 24 this last weekend ~ 2 possibly 3 people punched their US National 24 hour team tickets

Serge and Connie were already auto qualifiers from past National Championship Races.  Sabrina had run 137.82 as a qualification distance.  So Jon Olsen, Joe Fejes and Suzanna Bon are the new additions to the qualification list.

Sabrina - The little ass-kicker just broke the US Woman's Record.  I hope it can be ratified as the new American Record ... I heard there were some issues with chip lap counting.

Jon Olsen ~ 158.53 puts him squarely at number 2 of 3 on the open spot part of the list.  Number one is Mike Morton with 163.9 and number 3 is Joe Fejes with his 142.08.  Joe gets to be the scoreboard watcher in the club house and there are 2 more races with people gunning for his spot.

Connie ran 140+ miles again ~ Damn is she strong and consistent.  Suzanna is a great runner and fun person, I am happy to see her hit 133.97 ~ She is capable of more on the right day.  Carilyn Smith with 130.92 now occupies the bump spot for women.

Now I am making the assumption that both Jon and Joe are US citizens elgible to compete for Team USA (I really think they are)

2 race left in the qualification period:  3-Days at the Fair (May 12-13) and FANS24 (June 2-3)
        http://www.njtrailseries.com/fair
        http://www.fans24hour.org/

Here is where I have the current list - By far this will be the deepest strongest teams (Please everyone stay healthy) the US will be putting forward.  3-140 mile women and at least 1-160 mile man + 3 -150 mile men.  It is an exciting time is US Utra-Distance running with great performances in both 100k and 24 hour racing.

The 2012 World Championship is September 8-9, 2012 in Katowice, Poland

Women (4 open spots)

* Connie Gardner 144.72 (2010 and 2011 US National Champ) - Auto
        * Deb Horn 131.75 (2011 2nd place US National Champ Race) - Auto
        Sabrina Moran 147.90 (NC24) - Open
        Anne Riddle-Lundblad 140.26 (Freedom Park) - Open
        Suzanna Bon 133.97 (NC24) - Open
        Carilyn Johnson 130.92 (Desert Solstice) - Open
        Lisa Bliss 125.98 (NC24) - Open
        Anna Piskorska 122.83 (2011 Accross the Years) - Open

Men (3 open spots)

* Serge Arbona 156.49 (2010 National Champion) - Auto
        * Phil McCarthy 153.37 (2011 National Champion) - Auto
        * Johnathon Savage 146.28 (2011 2nd place National Championship) - Auto
        Mike Morton 163.9 (Hinson Lake) - Open
        Jon Olsen 158.53 (NC24) - Open
        Joe Fejes 142.08 (NC24) - Open
        Harvey Lewis 140.58 (NC24) - Open

http://www.northcoast24.org/docs/2012NC24SpringResults.pdf

61 Olsen Jon M 37 Y 176 158.53 158.53

2 Arbona Serge M 47 Y 170 5 153.13 153.43

70 Moran Sabrina F 25 Y 164 3 147.72 147.90

1 Gardner Constance F 48 Y 158 142.32 142.32

35 Fejes Joe M 46 Y 157 11 141.42 142.08

79 Bon Suzanna F 47 Y 148 11 133.31 133.97

DoppleBock

It does add a bit of a possible twist to FANS24.  If 3-days at the fair (5/12-13) has a man put up a pretty big number 150+ or 160+ (uggh) - I may have to run a hugely risky race at FANS24.

I am in pretty good shape right now.  24 hour racing is a mean spirited mistress and she has 15 ways to kick you in the groin.  But I feel if I run a smart race, just even and not pushing the effort until the last 4 hours - I have a 50/50 shot to run 146-152 mile range.  My body has more but to get everything out in a 24 hour race is not likely.  If I am in a position to have to run 155+ - I will have to go for it and pray for that 5-10% chance I do not crash and burn.

On the happy side - There will be no question on what is needed.

DoppleBock

Nice efforts ~ mean spirited race the 24!

Recover well. 

DoppleBock

I do feel bad for Anna ~ WC race in her home country of Poland and her not on the team.  I know how much she wanted it ...

Nice efforts ~ mean spirited race the 24!

Recover well. 

Thanks smalcolm and DB. I'm moving around better than I thought I would. I once again proved to myself that I am able to put myself through as much pain on the course as anyone. Time to put away the excuses and actually do some training-I forget how much I love running from time to time. I owe it to myself to run the miles to see what I'm truly capable of. If I have the desire, I will find the time.
                DoppleBock

If Blis24 is checking in - Damn it sure is getting harder to make the team - I would expect there is a good possibility of a 150 mile effort for men at 3-days-at fair.  Not sure I have 150 in me at FANS.

131 right now for the women's team ... Takes a lot going right to run that.

On the other hand I am really excited at the prospects of Team USA in Poland.  It is nice when we are not just hoping for everything to go right to get on the podium ... with deeper teams you start to hope for moving up the podium.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Just off the treadmill. Feeling pretty good. The wonky hip from the race is still tired.

BTW - the funky foot was only an issue for the first 30 miles or so. Never progressed to bother the Lisfranc. And looks just like its new normal self.

I'd chatted a bit with Debbie during the day while acting as a windbreak. Wound up playing cat & mouse with her for a bunch of laps in the dark. Then, we caught up again after my wheels had come off and we talked & walked for a bit ...

She says (something along the lines of), "Yeah, I've paid too many visits to the medics. Hips locked up. Never happened before."

I reply, "Me too! WTH?"

Daylight, I finally see Anna again. She catches me on my pathetic walk.

She says (something similar to), "Finally off the cot. Hips locked up. Never happened before."

I reply, "Me too! And Debbie. WTH?"

Anna got me moving into a much brisker walk ... she was motivated to at least hit 100.

When I saw her again, shortly before the end, she said she didn't think she was going to make it. 

Unofficially, 99.92 - ouch!

Murphy - were you the guy in the green wind shirt? (Or the other?)

MTA - oops... never mind. See now that you were in red.

cpev - no idea which fast guy you might have been. What were you wearing? (I was the one with the crazy, wind-blown, curly short-ish dark hair; black tank & shorts.)

MTA - just figured it out! I think we said "Hi" a few times

Liz

pace sera, sera

+1 Congrats!

Just off the treadmill.

Shocked I don't think I could stomach that after all those laps.

~Sara
                        It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

DoppleBock

Buzzie - Interesting about hip issues - Does not seem logical that that many unrelated people have hip issues for the 1st time at the race ???

bliss24

Buzzie - Interesting about hip issues - Does not seem logical that that many unrelated people have hip issues for the 1st time at the race ???

Maybe from running into the wind?  A recent 100k that I ran included at 17 mile straight, flat section with a 15+ mph head wind, and it totally locked up my hip flexors. 

I still trying to figure out though, based on reports, if the wind was a tail wind or a head wind at NC. (Most are calling it a head wind.)  I realize it's a loop course, but it always seemed the wind was only significant along the lake side of the course.  Horvath, et al, mentioned the new counter-clockwise running of the course would put the strongest wind at the backs of the runners (along the lake).  Any comments from anyone who was there?  For those who have run it before too, which direction did you prefer?

I am so impressed with the you guys and gals here and all the runners.  The reality of how difficult a 24-hr is always seems more obvious from the sidelines.  Congrats and great running!

So, as expected, I've lost my spot on the US team.  I've always felt 130 or a little more was within my reach, but Suzanna's 134- would be very difficult, if not impossible for me, in the next month.  (And in talking to her after the race, she thinks they may have missed a few of her laps, so maybe 136?)  I still have the itch to give it a whirl at FANS but I would be going into it very undertrained because I've been nursing a bum knee, so I will most likely take a pass.  If I lived closer, I'd probably take a chance, but otherwise all planning and time off work is probably not worth the chance.

What do you think, DB? FANS for you? Gonna go for it?

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Maybe from running into the wind?  A recent 100k that I ran included at 17 mile straight, flat section with a 15+ mph head wind, and it totally locked up my hip flexors. 

I still trying to figure out though, based on reports, if the wind was a tail wind or a head wind at NC. (Most are calling it a head wind.)  I realize it's a loop course, but it always seemed the wind was only significant along the lake side of the course.  Horvath, et al, mentioned the new counter-clockwise running of the course would put the strongest wind at the backs of the runners (along the lake).  Any comments from anyone who was there?  For those who have run it before too, which direction did you prefer?

I am so impressed with the you guys and gals here and all the runners.  The reality of how difficult a 24-hr is always seems more obvious from the sidelines.  Congrats and great running!

So, as expected, I've lost my spot on the US team.  I've always felt 130 or a little more was within my reach, but Suzanna's 134- would be very difficult, if not impossible for me, in the next month.  (And in talking to her after the race, she thinks they may have missed a few of her laps, so maybe 136?)  I still have the itch to give it a whirl at FANS but I would be going into it very undertrained because I've been nursing a bum knee, so I will most likely take a pass.  If I lived closer, I'd probably take a chance, but otherwise all planning and time off work is probably not worth the chance.

What do you think, DB? FANS for you? Gonna go for it?

About the hip thing ... 

Anna speculated that it might have been the short loops for her. Not sure of her reasoning.

For me, I can tell it's not an injury, just some momentary overuse that will make me stronger. Both hips went. The medical team (Dr. Lovy's DO students [graduating next weekend!]) was able to release the right hip, but not my left. It flared strongly again whenever I tried to run. Perhaps related to all the left-hand turns.

The wind was out of the northeast all day (and night) - blowing almost parallel to the shoreline. We were running counter-clockwise - opposite to previous years. So, long stretch of headwind after turning the corner out of the aid station. Then, eventually, long stretch of tailwind along the shoreline. And, there was a marked difference between the two long "sides." At night, I was cold running into the wind and overheating on the tailwind stretch ... so much so that I pondered whether it would be worth the effort to pull my shirt off and on every lap. (Note to self: bring arm warmers next time!)

About the course direction ...

I haven't run it before, but was glad we went the direction we did.

The strongest wind was likely closest to shore and, if so, we benefited from the strongest tailwind.

I also liked that the steepest "hill" on the course (the very short one just outside of the aid station) was an uphill in this direction - I used it as my only designated walk zone ... 40 steps, every lap. (Since I wasn't using the race aid station, I didn't use that area as a walk/eat section.) 

Meanwhile, smalcolm, it's back to the treadmill for another bit of recovery "running" ... Big grin  (I mean, it's not like I'm DB on a treadmill!!  Wink Wink

Liz

pace sera, sera

Jon Olsen ~ 158.53 puts him squarely at number 2 of 3 on the open spot part of the list.  Number one is Mike Morton with 163.9 and number 3 is Joe Fejes with his 142.08.  Joe gets to be the scoreboard watcher in the club house and there are 2 more races with people gunning for his spot.

Now I am making the assumption that both Jon and Joe are US citizens elgible to compete for Team USA (I really think they are)

Apparently Jon is US citizen as he ran the World 100k on April 22 as an alternate. Turned in an impressive 6:48 for 7th place - only two weeks ago!