Ultra Runners

Leadville (Read 1219 times)

DoppleBock

If you guys come all the way out here from England and Wisconsin, the pints are on me. 

Purdey, now you might be able to fit the wife in the suitcase ...

I am so there !!!  Free beer just dealed the deal.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Purdey, now you might be able to fit the wife in the suitcase ...

I am so there !!!  Free beer just dealed the deal.

Pin him down of what type of "pints" he is offering.

Be a shame to go all the way to Leadville for a pint of ice cream

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

hahaha.  Pints of beer!  Colorado brews more beer than any other state and is third for number of breweries/brewpubs... I'll have to show off the goods!

(or ice cream, if that's your thing...but I'm talkin' beer here!)

DoppleBock

Left curve ....

"Dear Dirk

Finally I can tell you good news.

Swisslos sent me last Friday the answer regarding sponsorship IAU 24H World Championchip 2011 Brugg Switzerland.

They  will sponsor the event! Yuppieh, yuppieh...... (see the copy from the mail)

The date for the World Championchip is planned for the 24./26. June 2011."

If I make the team, that too quick a turn for this horse to heal and try and be competetive ...

So, I guess that means I will be running Leadville for fun in 2011 ... Beer and bacon all around!

Purdey

Self anointed title

Left curve ....

"Dear Dirk

Finally I can tell you good news.

Swisslos sent me last Friday the answer regarding sponsorship IAU 24H World Championchip 2011 Brugg Switzerland.

They  will sponsor the event! Yuppieh, yuppieh...... (see the copy from the mail)

The date for the World Championchip is planned for the 24./26. June 2011."

If I make the team, that too quick a turn for this horse to heal and try and be competetive ...

So, I guess that means I will be running Leadville for fun in 2011 ... Beer and bacon all around!

Typical Henze.

Most people would say "so I'm sorry to say that I have to back out of the ridiculously hard 100 miler, in the mountains, at altitude". 

Not DB.  Its "for fun" with "beer and bacon". 

Good man.

The King of Beasts

Good News Dopple Bock !!

beer and bacon, what else is there??

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

DoppleBock

Actually I am a wuss, I really do not like to do 2 hard races within 4 or even 6 months of each other ... If this had been 4 weeks ago, I would be out.  But I am also one that once I am mentally all in for something ... you are not ever gonna bring that ship around.

It usually takes me 4-6 weeks to be able to run normally again - That will be a perfect time to start my Leadville taper ...

Purdey

Self anointed title

I am still working out how I can manage to do this.

There is no chance at all that I can get out there to do any acclimatisation - so will probably have to arrive just in time for the first mandatory brief.  Will probably then have to leave the day after.

Details, details.

The most difficult hurdle will be attempted this weekend.  Whilst my wife is drunk.

(Funds for the air fare have been secured, or at least promised.  40th birthday present from my father)

DoppleBock

So ... now that someone has mentally sucked me into the black hole of committment with the promise of free beer.  I thought I better start working on gaining some trail experience.  Before May this year, I think I had been on trails 10 times in my life ... Now I am trying to run 2x a week.

So last Sunday, I decided to do 4-6 hours on trails.   It was only 85 degrees and 70+% humidity @ 1:30pm.  I went through 120+ ounces of h20, 7 succeed salt s-caps, other calories etc.  I fuel (Calories) was not a problem, but overheating and dehydration ... my goodness I was sweating rivers.  I could not keep up with hydration, I decided to pull the plug @ 3 hours and finished in 3:40.  I did get 8 good hill climb decents in.

... will it be hot in Leadville, apparently I do not do well in heat.

The King of Beasts

normally cold is the worry at Leadville, not the Heat. (that was not true last year)

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

You'll ruin your knees!

normally cold is the worry at Leadville, not the Heat. (that was not true last year)

...and the electrical storms... there's always the chance you'll get crispy fried on a nice cool day.

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

It snowed the year I did it (2008) and it was about 90 last year.  Cooler but sunny weather is more the norm, except for the afternoon storms... which happen pretty much every afternoon in August.   So: sun, cold, warm, hot, snow, rain, lightning, hail, and sleet in the same day are pretty typical...

DoppleBock

It snowed the year I did it (2008) and it was about 90 last year.  Cooler but sunny weather is more the norm, except for the afternoon storms... which happen pretty much every afternoon in August.   So: sun, cold, warm, hot, snow, rain, lightning, hail, and sleet in the same day are pretty typical...

There is only one of those that I do not like or at least cannot handle well ... hot.

The King of Beasts

I was in 3 hail storms in 2008, but dont really remember being hot for very long, maybe coming down into Twin Lakes and across the swamp. I just missed the snow on Powerline (is that where you found it Chris??), i was just on my way to MayQueen, the snow took out a lot of people that year.

I actually missed being snowed on that year, just by luck.  It was about 33F and raining when I finished.

Lightning struck the powerlines outbound and lit them up... that was uh... enlightening.  I picked the pace up after that! 

Really high heat is unusual, Dopple Bock.  It's rarely "hot", though the sun is quite intense at 10,000' so it tends to feel pretty hot in the sun... hotter than it really is.    Nothing a couple of cold beers at the aid stations won't fix.