Ultra Runners

Leadville (Read 1219 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Thanks Jerry - yep, I'm pretty excited - now I just need to work out how to get my knee and both achilles to allow me to train.

...and that dear sir is the problem. Your knee will get better as it sounds like a sprain which will get better with some TLC. As for the achilles that has me a bit worried as that has been hanging around for waaaayyy too long by my reckonings about 18-24 months. Prognosis?

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

Purdey

Self anointed title

...and that dear sir is the problem. Your knee will get better as it sounds like a sprain which will get better with some TLC. As for the achilles that has me a bit worried as that has been hanging around for waaaayyy too long by my reckonings about 18-24 months. Prognosis?

It is lingering tendonitis. Weirdly it seems to get worse the LESS I run. It wasn't really bothering me when I was knocking out 100mpw+. The difficulty now is getting back to that level. Whatever happens I will not be going down the surgery route. I hear too many horror stories of AT surgery.

DoppleBock

Interesting - I can not run right now without a failry high level of pain

but ...

I can run or walk at higher incline (10-15%) with only low to moderate pain

looks like my Leadville training is starting early - At least the uphill training portion.

Althoug I was much more worried about the downhill portion ...

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

It is lingering tendonitis. Weirdly it seems to get worse the LESS I run. It wasn't really bothering me when I was knocking out 100mpw+. The difficulty now is getting back to that level. Whatever happens I will not be going down the surgery route. I hear too many horror stories of AT surgery.

Way to long to have this kind of thing - What is the root cause of the tendon soreness?  Calf tighness?  A muscle inbalance between Quads and Hams?  Calf weakness?

I sure hope if you can pinpoint the inbalance causing the stress on the AT, you could relieve the pressure and let it heal.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Not sure. The problem at the moment is that I've twisted my knee badly - damaging the tendons that run down the inside of the knee cap. I can barely walk at the moment and when I do it is with a straight leg.

DoppleBock

Not sure. The problem at the moment is that I've twisted my knee badly - damaging the tendons that run down the inside of the knee cap. I can barely walk at the moment and when I do it is with a straight leg.

Damn man!

Is that in need of surgery?

I see my issue just as a annoyance for the next 4 weeks ... give or take.  Mainly because cross training is very annoying to me.

xor

Many of you ultra people seem to be really dinged up.  Or worse.  Youch.  Get better.

As applied to this thread... next year I'm doing the leadville marathon and I MAY sign up for the 50.  No 100.

Purdey

Self anointed title

I'm definitely not ready to go under the knife. I too am hoping the knee is just going to be a matter of weeks. I am just hoping the ligament isn't torn.

DoppleBock

I am told one of the nicest / bestest / local ladies just signed up ... I guess just another person to finish ahead of me ... I hope she does not wear her "You just got Chicked" shirt.

I am told one of the nicest / bestest / local ladies just signed up ... I guess just another person to finish ahead of me ... I hope she does not wear her "You just got Chicked" shirt.

I think she should definitely run with that shirt.

I think she should definitely run with that shirt.

Agreed. Big grin

DoppleBock

I would hate to have to hip check her as we come to the finish ... but reality is she will be a bit farther ahead than that.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Who signed up Mikey?

DoppleBock

Who signed up Mikey?

I am told Helen Lavin - One of the sweetest and most giving runners out there.  But make no mistake about it ... she is an ass-kicker!

http://www.minnesotamonthly.com/media/Minnesota-Monthly/October-2010/Amazing-Racer/